International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-14-2004, 07:39 AM

Unhappy

I had posted before about the darn thing not opening. When I first bought the vehicle last summer, it worked fine. Now that it has turned cold out, it is intermittent.

I can rule out a complete disconnect of the vacuum system, because it does open on occasion and I can hear the vacuum system working. I guess it could be a leak that occasionally seals itself. I can't isolate any unique conditions when the thing does function properly.

When not opening correctly, just a slight stream of air comes out the heater vents. Nothing out of the defrost vents. The stream of air, what little is emitting throught the vents, increases or decreases with the fan control. So the blower is fine. I'll let the thing run and attempt to warm up with what little heat is resulting, when suddenly the vent opens completely and the heater blows full blast. The defrost will also open. I can turn the controls completely off and then back on to heater then defrost, then heater, then defrost, then off, then on again..... It works great (and the heater kicks a$$, too). Then I'll shut the vehicle off and it's back to square one.

Is the vacuum system working intermittently? Or could the vents be sticking so that the vacuum system can't open and suddenly the vents loosen up and open? Or am I completely lost?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:09 AM
FSJ Maniac

Could be a clog in the hose or a small vac leak. Could be right at the fittings. I had a leak in mine and it took me a month to find it and it was right at the rubber boot where the 3 vac lines hook into the intake.
1970 SST390 Javelin 10 yr project!

Old 12-14-2004, 12:54 PM
304 AMC

do you have a vacuum canister? if so maybe something got in and cant get out but moves around and plugs it occasionally.
Stupidity rules at all times! Famous last words "Hey, watch this" Its 5:00 Somewhere. 1983 J10 In process: 360 ci install
Old 12-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Sloppy Shifter

If you are not hooked up to the ball on the firewall this will happen. Idle and coasting heater controls will work normal. Full throttle or pulling the heater will shut down.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Gear Head

Mine sticks in whatever position it goes to after you shut it off, but only on really cold and humid nights with frost. After it warms up it works and it works great any other time. I have just learned to live with it.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:29 PM
304 AMC

Thats true I found out last night. I went out to start my truck and there was frost on the windows. So I waited about 7 minutes while it warmed up and nothing so I scraped it and drove off then it started to work right after I started driving home.
Stupidity rules at all times! Famous last words "Hey, watch this" Its 5:00 Somewhere. 1983 J10 In process: 360 ci install