International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 11-19-2003, 05:04 PM

Hello

I don't know much about leaf springs but I don't think mine have the spring in them they used too.
I was tring to give my 75' Wagoneer a small suspension(ride) improvement by putting on four new shocks. The front went great easy removal and install. When I got to the rear someone had replaced the factory shocks with some old coil-over-shocks that were to big and under alot of pressure. I got them off and discovered by removing them my back end had dropped down a couple inches. So I'm guessing the shocks I took off were add to compensate for saggy springs?
Is there anything I can do to get the height back
without the cost of new springs. Would blocks,bigger shackle brackets, adding leaf? Or should I just put the old springs back?

Thanks, Tyler

75' Wagoneer
Old 11-19-2003, 09:45 PM

The rear of your 75 should/could still be post mounted depending on the build date (this is the change over year).
Easy enough to tell, look at the rear spring hanger.
See a big post protruding off the frame with a shackle on top?
If so you can flip the shackle to the down side and gain a couple of quick inches.

If it is not post mount then you are looking at blocks or add a leafs for the cheap fix, both of those alternatives will require new ubolts and could possibly change your shock length.

Quick Note:
Reguardless of what you have or wind up doing, start soaking all those bolts back there with some type of penetrant (pb blaster, wd40, etc) your going to be pulling some if not all of them off and 25+ years has got them being pretty darn frozen in most cases.

[ November 20, 2003, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: tadsal ]

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 11-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Master Mechanic

I just put 3" blocks under my 75 rear springs. Lifted it right up. I replaced the front springs with stock a month ago, which made the back end drop more. I have a few pics of the Jeep at

http://www.geocities.com/pburnham.rm

with the new front springs and 3" blocks in the back. It actually handles better than before. The blocks were 25-30 bucks at Autozone, with new u-bolts.
360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:16 AM

Mine is the post style. With the spring directly on the front post and a small shackle on the back side.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:17 AM

pb,
were did you get you front springs, pretty costly?

Tyler
Old 11-20-2003, 01:37 AM

Also do the blocks mess with any thing else steering, braking Etc.

Thanks, Tyler
Old 11-20-2003, 01:56 AM
327 Rambler

blocks in the back dont effect steering or brakes at all , only thing that is effected would be road hieght ,,which would effect road stability a bit(usually just with More lift) brakes are only effected when the rear line becomes to short,,, with a set of blocks this shouldnt be an issue

** Island Rock Crawlers**

4WDABC Member
BCWF Member
Old 11-20-2003, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragon wagon:
Mine is the post style. With the spring directly on the front post and a small shackle on the back side.
Then I would do the shackle flip first (zero cost) just to see if that will get you by for a while.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 11-20-2003, 06:02 AM
Master Mechanic

I ordered the front springs from JCW. I have a 75, but I ordered the ones for the '76+. Mine on the front were flat - no arch. That raised the front on mine a couple of inches. I think they were 90 each. The back still had some arch to them, compared to the front.

I thought about the shackle flip on the rear, but I didn't want the axle to move forward. That's why I put the blocks on the back. I think it raised the back end close to where it should be, if not a little higher. My brake line in the back still has some slack in it, so I left it alone. No problem braking or handling. Blocks on the front aren't very safe and can mess with your steering.
360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.