International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM

What's a 1976 Wagoneer 401 worth??

Hi, Newbie here...

I have the opportunity to get a 1976 Waggy, but the price seems a bit high perhaps?

Here's a link to the craigslist ad:
http://roseburg.craigslist.org/cto/4350209425.html

It has low miles and is in pretty good shape, just don't know the value of these guys. Others I see on craigslist are cheaper, but don't have the 401 and are not as nice.

What things should I look for? common problems?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 02-27-2014, 12:32 PM

There's no set book value on these. It's pretty much how bad you you want it and what you'll pay. If it were bone stock to me the price is still a bit high but as modified I wouldn't even consider it but that's just me. For $4500 "everything" should be in excellent condition and work flawlessly.
I personally don't like PO lifted rigs. Too high of a % of botched installs out there. Too many just lifted for looks and not dialed in correctly. If I were to test drive a lifted rig I'd THOROUGHLY test drive it at HWY speeds with some panic stops thrown in, cross a series of bumps/ RR tracks at speed looking for shimmy/wobbles/vibes/clunks etc. Any used rig near 40 years old is a gamble and owner modified doesn't swing the odds in your favor. Don't abuse it on a test drive but test everything in all likely normal use conditions. Straightening out a short cut buggered up lift is a time consuming and possibly expensive PITA.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM
All Makes Combined

If there's not much more than surface rust, I'd strongly consider it. I'd haggle but if he stood firm on $4,500 and I really wanted a mid-seventies FSJ (which are my favorites) with that color combo (and 401!), then I wouldn't feel too bad paying that.

Not too many issues to look out for with the '70s FSJs, except for the usual rust and rusty lower tailgates.

Check the frame by the steering box and make sure it isn't cracking. If you do a lot of off-roading and the bolts are loose, the frame can crack and break (happened to mine). It can be welded back together of course.

Also check the shackle rivets/welds at the frame.

Be aware that the transfer case chain doesn't last long and reliable replacements are no longer made. There's a thread on this here:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=149619

I've retired my Cherokee from off-roader to weekend cruiser, so I'm not too concerned about that yet.
[b][size=2]
Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure yet what I'll do, I'm very fond of the body style of these old wagoneers... I'm wanting to build an expedition style rig, something I can through the family in and go explore and do some mild wheeling. My wife wants something smaller, like a 4runner.. I like the idea of understanding what's under the hood when something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere... The only con for me is the fuel mileage....
Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Big Meanie

You can send him a PM and ask him what you want to know.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=169272
he's such big meanie that way...
please don't tell him i said that....
Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

yeah

I would be intrigued. I agree with the guys. This is a choice color engine & model.
If you want an suv & gas mileage there is a conflict.

Go look at it depend on no one

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbracket
Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure yet what I'll do, I'm very fond of the body style of these old wagoneers... I'm wanting to build an expedition style rig, something I can through the family in and go explore and do some mild wheeling. My wife wants something smaller, like a 4runner.. I like the idea of understanding what's under the hood when something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere... The only con for me is the fuel mileage....

I'm kind of fond of the old Wags too. I have an Expedition but I wouldn't take it off road. The Wag is a better off road choice I think. That's just MHO.
2009 Expedition 4x4 with a 5.4
2008 Honda Civic (wifemobile)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:37 PM

If everything is in order then I think it's a fair price. Take it for a long test drive and take a good look at everything underneath. Stock ones in similar shape can sell for almost as much depending on location, if all that one needs is some rust repair, paint, and some interior work, I think it's a worthwhile investment.

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification
Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Look

It's now in the IFSJA for sale section

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 PM
All Makes Combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangerize
I'm kind of fond of the old Wags too. I have an Expedition but I wouldn't take it off road. The Wag is a better off road choice I think. That's just MHO.

Not trying to belittle your opinion, but I think the Expedition kicks butt as a general off-roader. I had a '98, 5.4, 4x4, with air suspension, and that thing rocked off-road. As long as you weren't rock crawling or going through tight twisty trails, it was extremely competent. It floats over the desert at high speed and handles decently for something so large. No FSJ with leaf springs would be able to keep up without rattling to pieces. I couldn't even keep up with a base model Expedition one time. The 401 was more than willing to show who was boss, but the rest of the Jeep just said "SLOW ME DOWN".

I'm not trying to knock the FSJs as they are brilliant off-roaders with only slight modifications, but sadly even a solid-axled Range Rover will drive smoother once the pavement ends (if you can keep it running, lol).

FSJs just aren't fun for me off-road unless you're taking things really slow, then they are pure bliss. That's fine, but if you're trying to actually get somewhere off-road, say 50 miles or more, it will take you forever to get there and you won't get there comfortably. Of course, if during the course of those 50 miles you encounter some nasty obstacles, the FSJ will more than likely get itself and your family over those obstacles without damage (assuming a mild lift and locker). We have one of the best approach angles around, and our transfer cases are tucked way up with the frame.

A Land Cruiser FJ80 (solid axles + coils, front and rear lockers) or FJ100 (with slightly beefed IFS; the lower control arms are a weak spot) would also be an amazing choice. Just make sure you find an FJ100/Lexus LS470 with the optional rear locker.

Of course all of the vehicles we're talking about don't have the character or looks of a big Jeep! Please don't run me out of town on a rail, guys!
[b][size=2]

Last edited by PlasticBoob : 02-27-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:25 AM

I gonna pass on buying the waggy. Someone on here should grab it up! For me, a smaller SUV would work better. I sure do like the looks of the mid 70's waggy, it just doesn't fit my needs.

Thanks for all the input!