International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-14-2012, 04:12 PM
350 Buick

Tires, age, and wear

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not...

I have questions on tires, age, and wear. From what I have read, tires aged over 10-years are considered a hazard. After contacting BFG, they concur...over 10-years replace them.

The reason I ask is that the tires on my new Jeep are way undersized (215/75R15 BFG TA/KO). I want to go back to a more stock size. My Grand Wagoneer has some 30x9.5x15 BFG TA/KO...which is exactly what I want on the new Jeep; and, lucky enough, these smaller tires should fit the GW very well, until I get the money together for a lift.

My concern is that these tires are at least 5-6 years old with around 50-60k miles. There is a TON of tread left on them (honestly I have never worn out a set of BFG TA/KO tires yet). I am worried about overall integrity. My fear would be a blow-out traveling on the interstate. I would ask a person at the tire store...but they are all High School kids. How can I tell if these tires are unsafe???
'15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 PM

I used to work at a BFG retailer 15yrs ago. BFG will not warranty any tire that is over 6 years old, period. Rubber continues to vulcanize its whole life, which means it gets harder and harder. I bought a 'brand new' front tire for my motorcycle but I didn't know it was 5 years old.....hard as a rock and it put me on the pavement about a month later. But that is with just one tire to steer with. At 5-6yrs, I would still use them, just know that they will not have the same traction as new.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:05 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Some place (C0$tc0) will refuse to touch tires over 4 years of age... even if they were the installer and the tires have barely 4000miles on them.... Happened on the DD that I bought last year.... tires are still good with plenty of thread, even in the rain,... no cracks on the rubber... The local service station does not mind, but at $15 for lifetime balancing, there are some new tires in my future.

It all depend on the look of the tire, if you have too many large cracks, time to save your back side.... I have driven BFG over 10 years of age for a couple of years with very little cracks... but after a while... you wonder about the hazard of sudden deflation at night on a mountain road. I installed new BFGs and realized immediately that the new tires are so comfortable, the rubber is more pliable and soft.... it is worth the $$$.

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelleguy
I used to work at a BFG retailer 15yrs ago. BFG will not warranty any tire that is over 6 years old, period. Rubber continues to vulcanize its whole life, which means it gets harder and harder. I bought a 'brand new' front tire for my motorcycle but I didn't know it was 5 years old.....hard as a rock and it put me on the pavement about a month later. But that is with just one tire to steer with. At 5-6yrs, I would still use them, just know that they will not have the same traction as new.
I'm from David's point of view since I ride bikes more often than I 4 wheel and I pay attention to tire age. On a car I would not be afraid of 5 year old tires for local use. I wouldn't buy them for an interstate hwy x-country trip though. Odds are good they'll be fine for you and I don't recommend being paranoid but dad also taught me to never lean into a punch.
edit PS don't take the sellers word for how old they are, read the DOT stamp.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 PM
I got the Willys....

If they aren't dry rotted or bald run them. I'm running a set of 15-20 year old Good-Years on my wrecker. They run better then the 6 year old tires they replaced.

I pretty much only run older tires. Tires on my 71 are at least 5 years old. Probably closer to 7, the tires on the Buick for winter are at least 4 or 5 years old. I wouldn't hesitate to run 10-20 year old tires as long as they are in good shape.

Heck, I knew a guy that put a set of Sears tires on his 32 Pontiac is 1966 and ran them until he died about 5 years back. Hard as rocks but he never had any trouble with them, and he drove that car all over the place.
J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400
1963 Gladiator J300 Townside 350/TH400