International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 11-28-2010, 11:48 PM
350 Buick

defroster wiring mess

so today it started to flurry a bit, i figured i should go check the wiring of the rear defroster, because i remember what bad shape the wires in the tailgate were thanks to the PO. So before i got started, i checked, and when i turned on the rear defroster switch it lit up green. so thats a good start. next i popped the panel in the tailgate, and found the 2 wires for what i thought were the defroster frayed from a poor soldering job by the po. so i traced the wires. and long store short, the frayed wires were actually a patch job that had been done. i removed the bad wire, and connected the 2 correct ends together( both ends of the plugs were still good and intact, not sure why it was "patched"). shut the tailgate and fired the truck up. hit the switch, watched my ammeter dive to -60, the lights dim and i hear a buzzing from the tailgate. now the switch doesnt even light up green. luckily it doesnt stay that way as soon as you remove your finger from the switch the ammeter goes back to the normal state and the lights come back up.

thoughts?
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer {woodless}-Edelbrock 1406 carb, Edelbrock Sp2p Intake, Hella ecode headlights, bixenon HID 5000k headlights, mb quart 6.5" component speakers f&r, alpine cde-100 deck, final edition grill, Hella 550 fog lights, 1991 window regulators, cs144, aluminum coolant&washer tanks
Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 PM
350 Buick

oh, from my research on here the buzzing is the defroster relay....so i think i have it hooked up right....but where is this thing wrong?
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer {woodless}-Edelbrock 1406 carb, Edelbrock Sp2p Intake, Hella ecode headlights, bixenon HID 5000k headlights, mb quart 6.5" component speakers f&r, alpine cde-100 deck, final edition grill, Hella 550 fog lights, 1991 window regulators, cs144, aluminum coolant&washer tanks
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 PM

You connected the two ends TOGETHER? Or did you connect the two ends to the WINDOW defogger grid?

If you connected them together, then you just created a dead short and that's why your ammeter pegged. The fuse should popped, too.

The defogger grid may be on a thermal fuse. I don't know.

Either way, it sounds like you have a short somewhere.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 AM
350 Buick

yeah i gotta tear into it again and see what is what. cause it just looked like a wire had been cut. so i replaced the connection, and the problem started.

do you remember does the power wire for the relay plug into a black plug on the passenger side of the tailgate?