International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-06-2020, 08:54 AM
230 Tornado

Headlight switch

So I bought my wife a 1987 GW in really decent condition. The first thing she does is destroy the cheap plastic dash dimmer and headlight switch assembly!!!!

first the dimmer fell back into the dash, then the "GM" headlight switch fell back into the dash. I am pretty handy but not comfortable with dash wires.

reattaching the switches seems pretty strait forward but my issue is as follows:

After a day of driving with the switches inside the dash,

I have lost
headlights,
taillights,
brakellights,
dome lights,
radio,
dash lights.

the 20 amp fuse for the brake lights is good. I have not checked anything else. The dimmer seemed very warm when I was trying to dig it out when it fell into the dash.

Any ideas? Did I fry something? is there one breaker or fuse that will solve all of these issues? It runs great and I have turn signals so it must just be one circuit. Will this thing burn my house down? Should I be looking for something specific? I am thinking of carefully cutting that part of the plastic panel out to gain easy access then using flush screws to reattach it as the cover plate hides the corners. I hate to have to drop the column, unscrew the odometer, etc etc.

My 1974 is much more basic and dependable than this plastic mess!!!

HELP????