International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 11-10-2021, 04:54 PM
230 Tornado

Doors Rattling 1981 Wagoneer.

When driving I get quite a bit of rattle from inside the doors. Does anyone know of any specific fixes or causes before I start going through them?
Old 11-10-2021, 06:08 PM
350 Buick

Hows the window channel felt? Is the front channel post loose when you try to wiggle it? Are the windows loose in the channel? Are the wiper felts loose?
Taking off the door panel isn't too hard, and then you can double check the tightness of bolts/screws and stuff and make sure nothing is actually rattling around in the bottom of the doors.
If it's a general door rattling sound, it could be that the striker / latch assy. needs to be adjusted, but you'd probably also notice a loose fit when you open and close the door.
If it was me, I'd start with looking behind the door panel for anything obvious. Wiggle everything you can get a hold of.

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:44 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadin'
Hows the window channel felt? Is the front channel post loose when you try to wiggle it? Are the windows loose in the channel? Are the wiper felts loose?
Taking off the door panel isn't too hard, and then you can double check the tightness of bolts/screws and stuff and make sure nothing is actually rattling around in the bottom of the doors.
If it's a general door rattling sound, it could be that the striker / latch assy. needs to be adjusted, but you'd probably also notice a loose fit when you open and close the door.
If it was me, I'd start with looking behind the door panel for anything obvious. Wiggle everything you can get a hold of.

Doors have new seals and latch tight. Windows are tight when rolled up. It the same noise when they are up or down. I'm thinking maybe latch assembly stuff on the inner part of the door. I'm also going to try the Door lock spring removal that is on a sticky thread her as the door lock actuators don't pop or down as the should.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:01 AM
258 I6

I have the same problem, and it was down to several different things.

First of all, take the panel of and cable tie all the wires in there. Mine were all flapping about and rattling horribly.
Also check that all the bolts in there are tight.

I'd also look at the window wipes at the base of the glass. Mine were loose and made a horrible noise. Taking them out and bending the clips a little fixed that.

I also found that the plastic moisture barrier under the door panel can buzz. Make sure it's stuck to the door well (also prevents water leaks!).

That sorted most of the door rattles in mine.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
1974 Ford F100 390
Old 11-11-2021, 09:53 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynjminjones
I have the same problem, and it was down to several different things.

First of all, take the panel of and cable tie all the wires in there. Mine were all flapping about and rattling horribly.
Also check that all the bolts in there are tight.

I'd also look at the window wipes at the base of the glass. Mine were loose and made a horrible noise. Taking them out and bending the clips a little fixed that.

I also found that the plastic moisture barrier under the door panel can buzz. Make sure it's stuck to the door well (also prevents water leaks!).

That sorted most of the door rattles in mine.

Great thank you, I will report back once I get to it this weekend!
Old 11-19-2021, 02:30 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

dried up and shrunk window channel, the vertical ones, let the glass rattle in the door channels

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work