International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-28-2021, 04:03 PM
232 I6

Tailgate key switch- get it working one last time

My tailgate window key switch broke and my window was stuck up with the tailgate closed. The spot where the switch body retains the plastic paddle broke. The paddle was in about the right spot, but nothing was holding it against the switch base, so no switch action when turning the key. I removed the key cover and key cylinder plate to access the switch. The switch on my 1989 Grand Wagoneer is located about 1 inch to the left of the square hole that the key cylinder turns. The switch body is to the left and the paddle is horizontal pointing towards the square hole. Turning the square hole moves the paddle up or down and the window then moves up or down.

Turning the key counter clock wise and using a stiff piece of wire to press on the base of the paddle, above the paddle blade pushed the paddle into the switch body and caused the paddle to activate the switch and lower the window.

To raise the window again I had to modify the switch bracket. There is a plate that blocks access to the lower part of the switch. I used an angle grinder to drill a 1/4" hole in the blocking plate directly to the left of the square key cylinder hole. I then turned the square hole clockwise to move the switch paddle up and used the wire to press the lower base of the paddle against the switch body.

Since I had the tailgate open for raising the window part way to gain access to the window motor assembly mounting screws, I had to keep the tailgate safety switch engaged by pulling on the lever to make the circuit think the tailgate was closed.

I was only able to do this a few times before the paddle fell out of place and the switch was done working. It was enough for me to open the tailgate from outside and get the window in the right spot to replace the switch.

I hope that this helps someone. Sorry, but I didn't take photos.

Dave
Old 05-28-2021, 05:51 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

post a pic of what you need i may have one somewhere PM me....Steve

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 05-28-2021, 06:20 PM
232 I6

Steve,

Thanks, I don't need anything for this job, it's done. I was just sharing my experience in case it would help someone else with a stuck window.

Dave