• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wncwheeler
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 05, 2008

Choke Question

I took the electric choke off my 2 Barrel Motorcraft carb and im in the process of replacing the vacuum hose's on the intake and carb. which lines can I do away with now that I have no choke?

Secondly I know this has been talked about over and over again but if I cap all the ERG lines will I effect the engine in anyway? Are there certain ones I can remove/cap without harm to preformance?

This is a trail only truck so im trying to make the engine as simple as possible.

Thanks Ben
    1991 Grand Wagoneer, AMC 360, 6" lift, 35" ProComp X-Terrains, Towing Package, CB/PA--- SOLD!
    1978 Jeep J-10, AMC 360, SOA, with shackle fliped rear, 2in body lift, Fuel Cell, 37" Boggers, Beadlocks, Custom Bumpers-Sliders.
  • brad_fsj10
    350 Buick
    • Nov 11, 2002

Im sure you've thought through the start-up issues you're going to face without a choke so I won't comment on those. As far as "needed" vacuum you'll need to run the distributor vacuum advance (see vacuum diagram).

Vacuum

If you have power assisted brakes as most do, you'll need to keep the mainfold vacuum line to the booster.

As far as the EGR valve, you won't lose any HP in keeping it and you'll probably gain in performance over getting rid of it. The EGR gasses actually cool the chamber gasses, reducing detonation ping. Personally I'd keep it. Route the EGR vacuum line through a temp controlled valve to a ported vacuum source. Again, see diagram above.

That's my 2 cents.
    Brad Smith
    79 J20
    360/NV4500
    D44/D60/3.31s
    past rigs -
    86 J10
    80 J10
    79 Chief

Comment

I disagree about the EGR. Ditch it. Its probably not working anyway.
      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

The EGR valve prevents pinging because the mixture is so lean to begin with, it will ping without being diluted by exhaust gas. You can get the same effect by increasing the main jet size. This will similarly reduce the burn temperature of the mixture, but HC will go up and you'll never pass a tailpipe test.

Another byproduct of high combustion chamber temperatures is higher NOx levels. The EGR promotes a complete burn (lean, low residual HC) with low combustion temps (less pinging, lower NOx) at a cost of some added complexity. I'd keep it.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• brad_fsj10
          350 Buick
          • Nov 11, 2002

Originally posted by tgreese
          You can get the same effect by increasing the main jet size. ...but HC will go up and you'll never pass a tailpipe test..
          OTOH.... I'll defer; probably not an issue on a trail-only rig....
          Brad Smith
          79 J20
          360/NV4500
          D44/D60/3.31s
          past rigs -
          86 J10
          80 J10
          79 Chief

Comment

Working...
          X