International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 06-11-2021, 04:15 PM
230 Tornado

88 Waggy on Gen2 Dodge chassis

In researching the best five speed automatic transmission I could mate up to my AMC 360 in my ‘88 Grand Wagoneer I came to the conclusion, after much research, that the total cost was more than I wanted to spend just for a trans swap. So plan B is to swap my Wagoneer body onto a chassis that already has everything I want. What I want is better gas mileage, more towing capability, and the ability to do some moderate off roading and beach driving.

I decided on using a Gen2 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 V8. I bought a 2000 2500, 4X4, regular cab with a 5 speed manual transmission for $3,000.

I thought some may find this interesting. As the days, weeks, months, of this swap continues I will post my work. Enjoy.

The plan: buy lots of zip lock baggies, painters tape, a couple of sharpie pens, and several 5 gallon buckets. Measure Wagoneer and Ram wheel base. Order aluminum three row 1970 Dodge Challenger radiator… aluminum radiators take months to get! Order Gen3 front brake calipers and rotors, order GM 1 ton rear wheel cylinder.

On both vehicles sitting in my drive way…

Day 1: Buy engine power wash spray cans and soak the engine and everything under the vehicles. Power wash both vehicles at car wash, clean under both vehicles and in the engine bay. Spend an entire day soaking EVERY nut and bolt with break free and let sit for at least 24 hours. Spend an entire day labeling everything… EVERYTHING. Take pictures of everything before removal.
Day 2: Remove battery. Remove hood, fenders, bumpers, tow hitch, grill, headlights, cut off Ram left wheel well to install on G.W. (wheel-well is needed to place battery on the driver’s side, keep battery bracket).
Day 3 and 4: Remove ECU (Ram), recover refrigerant and remove ac lines, remove radiator and hoses, remove fan and clutch assembly, remove heater hoses, drain fuel lines and remove fuel tank, open brake lines and catch fluid in jar, remove rear driveshafts, disconnect steering shaft near the fire wall, remove windshield wipers and wiper motor, remove power brake booster (after removing interior processes)
Day 5 and 6: Inside of both, remove both front seats, remove dash (Ram forums say that it will disintegrate when removing so don’t waste your time being gentle), disconnect throttle cable, power brake rod, and clutch rod (Ram), remove parking brake line, disconnect steering column shifter linkage under the body (GW), the shifter (Ram). While under the body remove all the bolts on the body mounts, remove ALL the exhaust from the Ram (new headers and dual exhaust will be installed in the future), and remove 4x4 linkage.
Day 7: Remove pedal assembly, all HVAC stuff. Spend rest of time making sure everything is disconnected to lift body off frames and gut interior of both vehicles 100%. Pull all wiring through the fire wall. Unbolt G.W. rear frame mount/bumper assembly for later use.

Last edited by crisd : 06-11-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:39 PM
230 Tornado

something is wrong with the board, I can't finish my post?
Old 06-11-2021, 07:41 PM
304 AMC

I'd say copy and paste from the other site but you've prolly tried it or were copying from some other place where you wrote it?

Some have had problems with truncated posts here when using a phone but I haven't heard that there's a size limit.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:19 PM
230 Tornado

I was going to post my progress on the two boards I know that Wagoneer people are on but this board isn't letting me cut/paste from my word document nor will it take my pictures that I know do not exceed the size limits. Soo... if you want to follow my build I'm on the Full Size Jeep Network. I have no patience for computers or fooling around for hours trying to make internet stuff work.

Thanks -Cris
Old 06-12-2021, 05:26 PM
258 I6

Can you post the link of your build on the other forum?

Thanks

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:44 PM
230 Tornado

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/vie...p?f=12&t=21401
Old 06-22-2021, 03:13 PM
Administrator

it's the apostrophe bug. Ridiculously annoying. If you post from an apple product, the forum cuts your post off after the first apostrophe. there are other characters that do it, too but apostrophe is the most common.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring