International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-28-2002, 11:54 PM

Question

Hi all

I have a 1975 Cherokee that has a Dana 44 front end. It has drum brakes on the front.

Without buying a very expensive conversion kit or swapping to another D44, is there any homegrown conversion that one can do?

I have access to a small supply of FSJ parts (my buddy is a collector of Jeeps) and would be able to get a few parts from other trucks, none of which are D44 equipped.

Any input, ideas, links to online articles or referral to threads already discussed would be appreciated.

Blair

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Blair Wentzell<br /><br />\"Go Big or Go Home\"<br /><br />blairwentzell@nfld.net<br /><a href=\"http://www.GoBigOrGoHome.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.GoBigOrGoHome.com</a><br /><br />Topsail<br />Newfoundland<br />Canada
Old 07-28-2002, 11:59 PM
Grease Monkey

i am fairly positive that all you need are the rotors, caliper,caliper mounting brackets, etc, for the swap. shoul be a direct bolt on. oh yeah, dont forget the master cylinder an proportioning valve. guys??
Old 07-29-2002, 12:04 AM

Welcome to the forum 52M38,
I'll probably get corected here in a minute but I don't recall any Cherokee's coming with drum brakes or there being any NT drum brake 44's. So i'm thinking you have a WT Chero with an older J Truck 44 swapped in place of the original axle. Seems like a swap to a WT or J Truck 44 with disks would be your cheapest bet.
Try this quick search tool and see what you can find out.

IFSJA Mega Search

[ July 29, 2002, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: tadsal ]

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 07-29-2002, 12:05 AM
Grease Monkey

i have a nt dana 44 for sale for 125.00 if you are interested.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:09 AM

Yep, see don't know squat.

44 with drums on cherokee

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Old 07-29-2002, 12:25 AM
Gear Head

Find a 76-79 Cherokee/J10 in the boneyard and just swap the whole axle.
Andrew<br />1983 Jeep Cherokee<br />360V8, NP229, 31\" BFG\'s<br />\"JEEP TALON\"<br /><br />1973 Datsun 240z<br />350LT1 V8, 4L60E<br />300HP/330lb-ft<br />Point and Shoot 12.77@108mph<br /><br />2000 Dodge Dakota<br />4x4 Sport, 4.7L/Auto
Old 07-29-2002, 09:38 AM

Unhappy

Hi all

Thanks for the welcome to the board.

The FSJ is not mobile right now and I have removed drivetrain to do some refurbishing.

I was told by the second owner that all is original. I do not have the registration, so I am going on what I am told that it is a 1975 Cherokee. I am going to try to post some pics here so that you can help me identify what I have.

Simply going to a scrapyard and getting a 44 out of another FSJ is practically impossible in these parts - I live in the 'salt belt' and FSJ's are very rare.

Here are some pics for you fine folks to help me... and thanks for any help you might offer:

Blair
Blair Wentzell<br /><br />\"Go Big or Go Home\"<br /><br />blairwentzell@nfld.net<br /><a href=\"http://www.GoBigOrGoHome.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.GoBigOrGoHome.com</a><br /><br />Topsail<br />Newfoundland<br />Canada
Old 07-29-2002, 01:07 PM
Master Mechanic

Blair,
Sure enough you have open knuckle drum brakes and I didn't thing that happened in FSJ....
Goods news is you have open knuckle so the knuckles should be the same as the disc brake open knuckle. You probably have a drum spindle so would need disc brake spindle, caliper bracket, rotor and maybe hub assembly also? Then calipers and pads, I think the hubs themselves should be the same but if the knuckle has the 6 bolt pattern that is the same as the disc brake knuckle, you basically need the the spindle out. These can be had on GM or FSJ outer front dana 44s I believe.
Lee
Old 07-29-2002, 11:33 PM

Red face

Thanks Lee....

Leave it to me to find the oddball !!!

Finding a D44 with disks is going to be a major chore... even a Chev D44 can be rare around here. When the time comes, I may have to buy all new.

Is it possible that I may be able to swap parts from another open knuckle FSJ axle? Anyone?

Thanx for the replies and any more input is welcome.

Blair
Old 07-30-2002, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Is it possible that I may be able to swap parts from another open knuckle FSJ axle? Anyone?
From seeing the pic's now, you have a NT Cherokee so an axle swap from a WT Chero or J Truck is going to be too wide for you, the parts would swap over I'm pretty sure. An axle swap would have to come from a wagon or NT Chero with disks and passenger side differential or swap out the parts you need from same.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:

Old 07-30-2002, 01:41 AM

Talking

fear not! [img]smile.gif[/img] as long as the knuckles are the same,you can take the spindle,hub,rotor,caliper bracket from any disc equipped fsj or chebby truck. even the 10 bolt will use the same spindle,etc. theres gotta be some 4wd cheby trucks in a boneyard near ya.

maybe tear yours down and take a spindle with ya for comparative purposes. jeep did use a large and small spindle on disc equipped rigs. doesnt really matter if all the parts are coming from one rig. if you have to scab brakcets from 1 rig,spindle from another,rotor from another, youll have to make sure all parts will work together.

if the kunckles turn out to be diffrent(tho im sure they will be same) they will have to come from a fsj,since chebby kuckles are drilled to have the tie rods on the bottom

only prollem with swappig the front end is unless youre lucky to find one with same gears that you are 100% sure is good,youll be tearing it completely apart ayway to check bearings,replace seals,and swap gears.

if i were you id tear it apart to check bearings,gears and repalce seals,leave your housing bolted to your leaf springs,and snag the brakes from the spindle out froma cheby turck to use when you put it back together. you prolly willneed a different proportioning valve.

it should be a fairly easy swap.

im still wondering why it has drums,tho? i just swapped axles from a 74 for a trailer frame,wich were equipped with front discs. hmmm. maybe someone had converted it?
38" TSL SXs
chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\
Old 07-30-2002, 04:47 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

The best thing for you to do is check with Pete (crazy_jeepman) he has just about anything that you will need, he buys and parts out FSJ's. And he is very resonable and will ship to just about anywhere. You can email him at crazy_jeepman@msn.com I got a master cylinder, power booster and proportioning valve from him. You don't want to buy new stuff unless you are rolling in money. Just the proportioning valve new is $160 and the master cylinder and booster is about $200.
Anyway, check with Pete, he lives in upper Mich.
Welcome to the club (IFSJA) its the best forum on the internet. MG [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
#1881 just for the record.
FSJeepless for a short time.
Need a J10 tho.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:01 AM

AHA!!! another 75 chero with drums! I am not alone!

Do you have power drums or manual drums? my cherokee is the only one I have ever seen a with manual drums (custom ordered per governemnt spec)...which makes me wonder why people brag about mil spec...drums suck for 50% of the driving I do.

Let me know if you have anys pecific questions. I have fully done my front brakes and bearings
Old 07-30-2002, 11:29 AM

My '75 NT has manual front drum brakes too. It is so plain, it even has steel interior panels instead of padded. It has the 258/T-15/D20.

Matt
Old 07-30-2002, 01:30 PM

Talking

Thanx everyone for the info and the continuing welcome!

I was somewhat hopeful for the Chero... but have my doubts if this one will continue on.

The frame is absolutely toast. The rear floors were also very very very very (getting the picture?) bad - more plywood than metal.

I have salvaged the drivetrain and I guess it will have to be donated to a SWB Jeep project I have on the go.

The good news is that I have my eye on a J20 !!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I want a good tow vehicle for my 52 M38 Willys and I really really want a FSJ - so in an attempt to save money (at least that's what I tell the wife), I will try to get a few coins together to buy that J20 - that thing is D44/D60 with a 360 !!! ArArAr Horsepower!

The info gained here will certainly get printed and put in the project file. That SWB Jeep will rock with all FSJ running gear.

BUT - my next purchase will have to be that J20 since the Chero will have to live on in parts only. My aforementioned buddy who collects Jeeps (FSJ's, Willys Pickups, Willys M38A1's, CJ's etc), now has the remaining parts of the Chero and will use them to refurb other FSJ's.

I hope that you folks let me remain on here even though my first attempt at being a FSJ owner has gone south.

I really appreciate the help and the welcome.

Blair