International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 08-27-2021, 05:00 PM
232 I6

1970 Wagonner (Sept 69) Kaiser Jeep Razor grill

Hello fellow Jeep addicts. I might as well get this build post started. It is going to take some time and the process will be slow but maybe someone will enjoy or benefit from the process and pics. I figured out how to get some pics on here now...so it's a good time to start.

Yesterday "Willow" arrived to Lake of the Ozarks from Arizona. 1500 plus miles one way. Why buy this one so far away ? Well, it is a interesting Jeep. We like the fact that it is titled as a 1970 BUT it is the end of the Kaiser/Willys Overland ownership. AMC bought them in Feb of 1970 and changed the grill design to the cheese grater. Also, the color is Candle Light Yellow. I only found one on a web search. There seems to be 9 exterior colors and 4 of them are some shade of green. From what I can find, the Candle Light Yellow was ONLY done in 1970 for the Wagoneer. Other Jeeps used it for a couple years but Wagoneer was just 1970.

It is also the Custom model with the upgraded seats. It appears to have the original seat covers under the homemade ones you see in the pic. This is a Buick 350 Rochester 2 jet, Turbo Hydromatic 3 speed transmission and Dana 20 Transfer case.

The only bad rust is in the lower rear quarters. The floors are solid. Roof is solid. Tailgate is solid. Floor have surface rust that is going to get wire brushed, Eastwood rust encap and dynamat.

The bad:

So what's wrong with it right now. It leaks a lot of transmission fluid on the exhaust. The transfer case doesn't seem to be meshed up to the transmission correctly.

The carb looks like it needed a rebuilt 50 years ago.
The wires look like Ray Charles played with them.

The driver side door sags pretty bad.

It is DIRTY. lol
The mirrors are not original and falling off.

Junk rims and tires.

Not sure ANY of the lights work.

The good:
Very little rust for 1970.

Engine runs.
It has the original running gear.
The razor grill is pretty flawless
All the emblems are there.

The radio dash IS NOT CUT.....oh thank you Lord !!!
The brakes kind of work. The emergency brake does not.

The bumpers look pretty straight. Probably will re-chrome.

Things in progress:
After the fire burned out......fluid on the exhaust. It got towed to the transmission shop.

New battery installed.

Going to strip the interior and get the surface rust out and hunt for any other rust.

Get ALL of the lights working. (Monday project)

Remove original seat covers and have them duplicated with new to match.

Trying to get info on the sagging door. Hinge goes into the fender so it doesn't show a pin.

Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.

Carb rebuilt kit is on the way.

New floor carpet is on the way.

New original style rims with baby moons are on order.

New tires are going to be needed to be put on junk rims for now.

Change ALL the fluids, hoses, belt, filters. etc.

Pretty much make it functional and drivable with a clean nice interior.

Then decide how to tackle the body.

Oh yeah, why is she called Willow? Kaiser started in Willow Run, Mi. I thought it was cool to name her Willow. Toledo didn't sound like an expensive girl. She is going to be expensive for sure.

Here is she is patiently waiting for the tow truck.......ah, Jeep life. I so love these things.

1970 Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer (Sept 69)
Early model with razor grill
Spring Green exterior (original)

Custom series interior

Last edited by drcom : 08-29-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:10 AM
304 AMC

Oooooh! A razor grille without the indentations.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:44 AM
232 I6

The good and bad today:

The bad:

What could possibly cause a steering wheel to do this ?? Wow.

The good:
Found the original air cleaner with the Dauntless V8 logo and entire assembly in the back.

Found a set of locks with working keys.

Found a brake sensor...it just doesn't go to this year of Wagoneer. The 70 is a hydraulic one.

Custom series interior

Last edited by drcom : 08-31-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Helllllz yeah! 'Scribing! Great start!!!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 08-29-2021, 09:18 AM
327 Rambler

I'm guessing the wheel was turned at such an angle that condensation sat for a long time either on top of that area, or inside the wheel in that area, causing it to give way once the metal got thin enough, leaving you with that poor thing.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877
Old 08-29-2021, 12:55 PM
232 I6

I am guessing these are made from some sort of pot metal ???
This Wagoneer sat for 15 years behind the guys Grandmas house. Then he tried to get it running the last few years....I'll post some pics of the rust left behind.

quote=MysticRob]I'm guessing the wheel was turned at such an angle that condensation sat for a long time either on top of that area, or inside the wheel in that area, causing it to give way once the metal got thin enough, leaving you with that poor thing.[/quote]

Custom series interior
Old 08-29-2021, 12:59 PM
232 I6

Some pics of the floors and fenders.

HEY LOOK. The original seat covers. Can't wait to see those uncovered.

Original seat covers for 1970 Jeep Wagoneer Custom (not a base)

Custom series interior

Last edited by drcom : 08-29-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:09 PM
232 I6

The original Rochester 2 Jet Carburator

This is the number I used to pull the rebuilt kit from Mike's Carburetor Parts. They also gave me access to a 94 page build guide in the Rochester carbs. Very cool document.

Custom series interior

Last edited by drcom : 08-29-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:20 PM
232 I6

Man that thing is pretty dang solid! Love it
Old 08-29-2021, 02:23 PM
232 I6

Oh and I've restored a few old steering wheels when they get cracked and chip out. Just open up the cracks with a dremel or file and fill with JB weld. Sand everything level and paint the sucker. They come out great. Just another option if you can't find an original.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:15 PM
232 I6

Not bad shape for 51 years old. Better shape than I am in. I feel blessed to have found her. It was a long search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmonkey
Man that thing is pretty dang solid! Love it

Custom series interior
Old 08-29-2021, 07:16 PM
232 I6

I have been doing my research and saw a couple different ways to repair them. I might give it a try but I wish I had another one to drive around while taking my time learning and fixing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmonkey
Oh and I've restored a few old steering wheels when they get cracked and chip out. Just open up the cracks with a dremel or file and fill with JB weld. Sand everything level and paint the sucker. They come out great. Just another option if you can't find an original.

Custom series interior
Old 08-31-2021, 12:19 PM
232 I6

Today's finds 8-31-21

Ah, the treasures of today.

The rear cargo door and window are completely frozen shut. The inside level won't budge...not sure where to even start with that problem.

With some help on the forum, I figured out how to fold the seat forward. There are pins at the top of BOTH fender wells. They need to be released.

Under the rear seat and the cargo floor is pretty solid. Lots of dirt and some surface rust.

But for the most part. Rock solid metal. Scrubbing, Rust Encapsulater, then Dynamat. Then the new carpet will feel at home. Dark saddle color carpet.

Got the glove box open finally. What was left of a cardboard box crumbled in my hands.
Removed the aftermarket radio. So glad the dash isn't cut.

Removed the homemade dash pad. I love the metal dash. Going to probably make it bright white gloss along with the steering wheel. The roof of the Wagoneer will be white. The steel wheels will be white.

Rear seat is out. The frame and the bottom steel panel have a little surface rust but not even close to rusting holes. The original Custom model seat covers have been revealed. Lots of glue and foam from the previous amateur seat cover install. But at least I have a pattern now. None of the springs are broken. Not even hardly rust on any of them.

That's all I have for now. My helper (son) did a lot of the work. I don't get around very well anymore. I thank God for him everyday. He is learning. The wife is having fun with Willow also. It is her Jeep.

Bare dash 70 Wagoneer

Cargo area before cleaning

What glove box?

Bottom Seat

]70 Wagoneer Custom rear seat back

Custom series interior
Old 09-01-2021, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcom
...Removed the homemade dash pad. I love the metal dash. Going to probably make it bright white gloss along with the steering wheel. ....
AWESOME Post! This is really fun to follow along!

White would look great on your dash, but I would advise against gloss. I had a buddy in the 90's that had a glossey silver dash in his mid 60's Chevy pickup and the sun was ALWAYS reflecting in your eyes. No matter where the sun was in the sky, there was a curve on the dash that matched the angle to put it straight in your eyes. At night, as you drove under street lights, they would reflect and flash in your face, too.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 09-01-2021, 02:30 PM
232 I6

Got it. I will find a better white. Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
AWESOME Post! This is really fun to follow along!

White would look great on your dash, but I would advise against gloss. I had a buddy in the 90's that had a glossey silver dash in his mid 60's Chevy pickup and the sun was ALWAYS reflecting in your eyes. No matter where the sun was in the sky, there was a curve on the dash that matched the angle to put it straight in your eyes. At night, as you drove under street lights, they would reflect and flash in your face, too.

Custom series interior
Old 09-01-2021, 08:07 PM
232 I6

9-1-21

The new adventures of the day.

Brake switch sensor drama continues.....but solved.

Door locks
Color change!!!!!!!!!
Missing a door handle

So the good news is the wires have been found for the brake switch sensor. There is a pic below. They were pretty hidden by the previous owner. I have to say "previous owner" because ALL of the four letter works are taken. This is a family show, right ??? A new brake switch that screws into the bottom of the master cylinder has been ordered along with the correct plug for it to connect the two wires. There is a picture of the two wires below. This will be a temporary solution until i can make a bracket for under the dash and behind the brake pedal.

The door locks do not have any keys for them. The previous owner (substitute your favorite 4 letter word here) bought 2 new locks. Of course they are too big for the 70 Wagoneer. So the decision is to have the keys made for the old locks if possible OR modify the door, lock and latch to fit the new locks. Hmmm....going to call to see if they can even re-key them. If so, that is probably the right call. Below is a picture of the sliding latch that holds the lock in place. Very cool how it is accessible from outside of the inner door. No lost latch in the door this way.

So the previous owner (you know what to do) lead me to believe the color was original and just faded. But since I had the doors apart today, I noticed the original color is not Candle Light Yellow, it is Spring Green. So this is pretty much going to cause an entire paint strip down when the time comes to make Willow a pretty Jeep. Maybe I can find a spray can of it to see what it looks like when it isn't faded 50 plus years in the desert.

Door and window handles are looking pretty good. Not bad shape for 51 years. I am missing one, so I need to put a wanted list up. The rear tail light lenses are not too bad of shape. I really wish the driver side was available new. I can find all kinds of passenger ones new.

Still waiting our turn at the transmission shop, but doing what we can in the parking lot.

More coming tomorrow.

Custom series interior
Old 09-03-2021, 07:19 PM
232 I6

Updates: 09-03-21

Pretty short and sweet today. Of course, the auto parts store sold me the wrong plug for the brake switch sensor. I did some modifications and got it working. Yeah. something as simple as making the brake lights work is very satisfying. I think it is just a matter of fixing something the other guys didn't. Any way, the wiper drama continues. Got some good leads in the Tech section to try to find the correct wiper blades. No movement on the transmission shop. I tried to bribe them with Casey's Apple Fritters......they ate the Fritters but I didn't get moved up in the line....oh well, it was worth a try. Maybe I'll try pizza for lunch next week.

No luck on getting keys made for my door locks. The locksmith acted like I was bothering him. I took them back after 24 hours. I wish I knew how those locks came apart......can't find anything on them.

working brake light

Wiper blade Trico made in the USA

door locks

Custom series interior

Last edited by drcom : 09-03-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:43 AM
258 I6

Go find a good locksmith for making a key , they are out there!
It also depends on the person!

And for the rubber blades ,pick a couple from eBay to try and compare.
They are cheap as chips.

You also can go to a car parts pick and pull to get a couple used wiper blades and remove the rubber blades for your stainless ones.
(I did that when needing some in a hurry)

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:37 AM
350 Buick

What's the issue with the wiper blades? Looks like you need the standard refill is all. Measure the length of the arm and go buy the refills. You're doing some nice work.

Edit: Maybe these? https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...er+blade&pos=0

Last edited by bkilby : 09-04-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:16 PM
232 I6

I guess around here at the Lake they havent sold just refill blades for a couple years now. The Autozone guy went through everything he had but couldn't find anything. I ordered some from Rock Auto AND from FleaBay. Hopefully between the 2 something will fit. Thanks for the encouragement. Being old and disabled makes life a lot more difficult these days so I do what I can with my helpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
What's the issue with the wiper blades? Looks like you need the standard refill is all. Measure the length of the arm and go buy the refills. You're doing some nice work.

Edit: Maybe these? https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...er+blade&pos=0

Custom series interior