International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-16-2002, 05:13 PM
dabber

Question

Sorry to revisit this lame topic but I'm frustrated and I need help from someone who is smarter than this chump.

The key switch for the tailgate window does not work, however the window works from the dash. Additionally, the rear defrost does not work..no light on the dash switch and no defrost. I have read all the threads about this and how the power and circuitry to both is related.

Here's what I've done:

- checked the red wire in the engine compartment and it has power.
- checked the red wire into dash switch for window and there's power.
- couldn't follow the black ground out of the dash switch for the window. Where does this get grounded and should I simply cut, splice and re-ground so I know its done?
- i removed the tailgate panels and checked the large orange wire coming into the tailgate and it has power.

After having done all this is it now necessary to remove the power window assembly and get at the motor and/or key switch. And, after presumably finding the problem within the tailgate will the defrost automatically work since they are circuited together?

Are there any more checks before messing up my window assembly?

This is the only thing wrong with an otherwise amazing ride. Any thoughts are appreciated
Old 09-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I recently dug into my window (stopped working - luckily while it was up!) and found that while I had power from the dash switch still no worky. I pulled the window apart and found the tailgate switch seemed to have gone bad. I replaced the switch, reattached the channel on the bottom of the window and repaired on of the side tracks as the rubber had fallen out. It was a PITA to get the mechanism out. They are 6 self tapping screws and you need to move the window/mechanism to get to them. I suggest pulling the glass and using a jumper to move the mechanism to access the screws. I needed an impact driver to get 4 of them out. Soak them in PBlaster to help. I found the wires that attach to the glass (for the defroster) had both broken off where they attack to the glass and by the time I had repaired the rest of the things the defroster was not important enough to hassle with it. They is a very good write up in the tech section on the fixes for the window. Much Luck!!

Kerry
87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...
Old 09-17-2002, 12:58 AM

On a '90 the tailgate has two power feed wires, one from the dash switch and one to power the rear window switch and defogger. My TSM doesn't show an orange power wire so I guess the colors are different for your year.

Check for breaks in the wires at the bottom of the tailgate, they get pinched there just like at the side door pillars. Also, the wires run from the front of the vehicle to the back on the underside, look under the vehicle for breaks and disconnected wire connectors.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:41 AM
Master Mechanic

I,m not sure this will help but here is my story.
I have a 1991 Grand Wag. The rear window did not work at all. I didn't even have akey.
I took my car to a local Jeep dealer and after getting a locksmith to make a new key ( and I assume a new tumbler) my rear window rolls down and up flawlessly when I use the key. However the inside dash switch only works on about the 5th try. I am going to replace the interior switch and see if that helps.
Hope I,ve helped.
Evan Atherton