International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Crank shaft thrust

I've got a 360 in a GW that seems like a very solid engine. Just bought it recently, and it has great compression and power. Runs smooth. I'm not sure, but all indications are that it only has 79K or so original.

I was putting a new MSD ignition in it, and noticed a ton of thrust forward on the crank. Visible. I don't want to say 1/2", but it could be that much. Pulled the starter to make sure it wasn't a loose pully/balancer bolt, and sure enough...

Reading the other posts about bearing wear and so on, I guess this is going to need a new crank at least. What I can't understand, is why it runs so great. It leaks some oil, but not a lot, and most of that seems to be just from the oil pan.

What's likely to happen if I run this a bit longer, in some low strain situations? I plan to take the oil pan off when I can get it on a lift and see how scary it looks, but is there any other reason this might be happening?

I guess I'm just in denial 'cause it runs so good. Anyone have experience with this bummer situation?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:40 PM
360 AMC

1/2"? That seems like an insane amount of endplay...

how are you moving it? By pulling on the balancer? or prying it from behind? I checked mine by prying it from between the TC and the flexplate.

I've heard that balancers can wear out. The rubber seal goes and the weight on the outside can move forward and backward a bunch.

The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44
Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 PM

Just prying on the balancer Doc. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 AM
327 Rambler

I had a cherokee with the same issue. The 360 ran awsome good power and compression at 82K. One day the flywheel started making a grinding noise (hitting the dust shield) and 727 started leaking from the front. It got progressively worse until the tranny finally died when I was towing a uhaul trailer moving from MA to NY.
When I pulled the pan what I found was that the thrust bearing had machined out a nice slot in the crank. I ended up selling the jeep before I fixed it but an engine shop should be able to weld it up and make it good as new if that is the problem.
If your really lucky it might just be the thrust bearing...I'm never that lucky.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:08 AM

Thanks very much for your experience and insight chrism. It helps me get a handle on this. I think I'll pull the pan, look at what's going on, and baby it along until I can afford a complete rebuild.

If I get way lucky, maybe I can just do bearings, but I'm not going to plan on it. You have the kind of luck I was given —not much. But, once in a while I do get some.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:44 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

[quote=chrism
---- the thrust bearing had machined out a nice slot in the crank.----
[/quote]

That can be fixed, you take the crank off and a machine shop can weld a bead, them machine it for the appropriate thrust bearing, and crank bearings at that point.

1/2" is way too much, max is not more than 1/4".

Make sure that it is not your harmonic or crank pulley that is loose.

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 05-27-2011, 05:45 PM

1/4 inch?!?

max is not more than about .010".

i don't see that there could be a half inch of movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Master Mechanic

You can probably find a crank from a 304 or another 360 cheaper than you can repair the one you have. Baby jeepers swap out 304's for 360's or SBC's often, so check Craig's list, I've seen 304's complete for a hundred bucks often. Most important is to fix the cause, usually a worn out Torque Converter, sometimes a shoddy bearing job (not in spec). My Dad wiped the thrust face on a 401 by towing too heavy, 8,000lbs daily for over two years (grade tractor, who says Quadra Trac's aren't strong?) at least that was our best guess.

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." Albert Einstein
Old 05-28-2011, 07:20 AM

I wondered about that... if this was caused by the previous owner pulling a rolling house all over our Colorado mountain passes.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:24 AM

REPLY to Ristow - - - - I know what you're saying about the half inch and still be running, let alone running like a champ.

But like I said, I pulled the starter out, pryed on the front of the shaft, and I could still see everything move forward in the starter hole.

I'll post the diagnosis when I get it on a lift with the pan off.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Master Mechanic

For that amount of movement I would think the engine was reassembled without a thrust bearing (as in five regular bearings), and the crank is just free-floating. Doesn't bode well for wrist pins and rods.

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." Albert Einstein
Old 05-28-2011, 02:57 PM

Wow... never even thought of that possibility. That's the only thing that really makes sense so far. Of course, I'm too old and have seen too many things that don't make sense to completely throw out something totally nutty.

That WOULD explain 1/4 - 1/2" better than anything so far. Thanks AZ.

BTW... Dittos to Col. Jeff Cooper