International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Cowboy Up

The 2" offset... that would probably not be a problem on spring reversal with shackle reversal. If you flip the springs around on a normal rig you will have trouble on compression but with the reversal... seems like you'd be clear.

On another note, I guess if you found the braking conditions to be undersireable (although 900Lbs over my front >flat< as in no arch springs isn't a problem for me on the F350<) I would think that installing an adjustable proportioning valve would help you dial it in to your liking better.

Last edited by Elliott : 02-13-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Grease Monkey

I have BJ's 6" lift with the drop pitman arm on my 85 GW. Can I just flip the springs around and do a shackle reversal without other mods?
1985 GW, 360, 727, NP229, D44, AMC20, HEI, SOA/shackle flip 7" lift, Quick Lok locker rear, Aussie Locker front, 4.10 gears, 37 X 13.5 Interco SS-M16's, Warn Premium hubs, Tuff Stuff 12,000 LB winch, rear disc brakes === stripped down street legal off road toy
Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM
304 AMC

Talking

Quote:
I mean, look at every single Toyota. Shackles in the backs. And Toyotas are arguably the best vehicles to build into a "budget" hardcore rig (How dare I say that, i know!).
Quote:
and, as an engineer,

Man, these are just begging to be hammered..LOL

This question is just like the, "Do I switch to a SBC question"....The bottom line is,, knock yourself out. It's your money and time.
J20

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"
Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Wag
I have BJ's 6" lift with the drop pitman arm on my 85 GW. Can I just flip the springs around and do a shackle reversal without other mods?

No, like Stuka pointed out you need to rotate the pinion up to compensate for how it will now drop when you apply the brakes (where it didn't before). How much it's actually going to drop is going to depend on the springs you have and the weight on them. Certainly a flat spring will let it drop more than your high arch 6" lift springs... you may actually be ok if you have a high angle driveline and maybe a high angle pinion yoke (like Parts Mike sells). Also take into consideration that the front hangers are going to give probably another 2" of lift and that will have it's own variables depending on the setup you have now.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 PM

No, not without centering the axle in the well. So, the front hanger will have to be dropped approximately 4" and the rear shackle mount will have to be moved as it will now attach to the long end of the spring. Im going to be doing this soon on my J15 and will have a square cross tube with the hangers welded unto it. This tube will provided lateral support to the hangers and more area to attach the hangers to the frame.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J20 project
Man, these are just begging to be hammered..LOL

Shackles in the back. My bad. Unless you weren't pointing that out. I do believe that I could build a more capable Toyota for less $ than my J10. Plain and simple. Everything on those cookie cutters has been done so many times that it's just a simple science now. I've had a lot of trial and error with my J10, and that's not cheap.

If you wheel on the west coast or you hit the Hammers, look for my crew, the PolyGoats: www.polygoats.com

Poundcake!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 PM

I stand corrected, the steering box sets bellow the frame rail preventing a cross bar unless it sets infront of the mount. Hmm? Im still going to need a 4" drop in front to correct the caster. Or use wedges??? Buy at www.rocklaurencevintageautoparts.com

I now have a bolt in kit: RockLaurence vintage auto parts and I have a store on Ebay

Last edited by rocklaurence : 05-12-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:23 PM

OK, this is the Universal Heavy Duty Slider Boxes that I have listed on my store. The one for the FSJs will be the same with the addition of a side plate to locate the brackets via the two lower transmission crossmember bolts. Ill be putting that together soon. https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... de-springs

https://imgur.com/NR9hl4k
https://imgur.com/AK97jBv
https://imgur.com/8JjIDp5
https://imgur.com/L1l6K1H
Old 07-19-2021, 12:23 PM
Administrator

I have the Rocklaurence FSSR kit on mine and I love it. (probably close to 5k miles with it). I originally had it with stock springs, now have Rancho lift springs.

Some notes for anyone considering it:
1) You will need to have your front driveshaft lengthened and/or have a long travel yoke added.
2) I was able to keep my stock brake lines but moved the bracket that holds the fitting where the soft lines meet the hard lines down a notch.
3) When you brake, the truck does nose down a bit more than it used to. It feels like the front brakes are doing all the work but they are not; it's just the physics on how the springs work now. Again, not really a problem.
4) the centering of the axle does not really end up being a thing. At least I don't think so. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference before and after install. If you REALLLLLY look at before/after pics, you can see it moved but it's not enough to really be an issue.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring