International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Driveshaft questions

I am doing my np208 swap this weekend and I know i will need to lengthen the back driveshaft... I also know I could just use a post quadratac j truck shaft. But I have a question:
My rear shaft was done by the Republic Diesel around here (I think its a pretty big chain?) for my lift and it was about $150 for it to be lengthened, balanced and have a new yoke put on the axle end (14 bolt vs d44) which I thought was pretty reasonable so I will just go back there since I am not going to find a stock shaft with 1350 on one end and a 1310 on the other.
Problem is the FRONT shaft is shot... I used the stock shaft from the F250 that my axle came from and it happened to be the perfect length... Problem is I have had u-joint problems twice and I am pretty sure it is not binding. It turns freely at the highest angle it can go without hitting the crossmember and there is no wear to indicate that it has ever hit the crossmember when flexed out (the axle is high pinion so no crossmember modification seems to be required). I think possibly the double cardigan joint "ears" are warpedomehow causing it to destroy u-joint caps (it cracks them and spits them out). At any rate I don't know much about these joints but mine is DEFINITELY down for the count as it got pretty chewed up the last time the u-joint let go.

So...
What might I look for to try avoiding the problem in the future?
Is there a donor vehicle for a new shaft I can look for BESIDE a 78 F250? Preferably more than one model so I can have a good shot at finding one when I go to seach a junk yard?
Is it possible to rehabilitate my current driveshaft somehow? The double cardigan joint pretty much just falls off leaving just a end with a little stud type deal sticking out... Pretty sure this is not how its supposed to be.
Would I be better off sourcing a whole new shaft from republic diesel or someone else?

Thanks

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing
Old 04-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Is everone as mystified as I am by this issue

My t-case should be here in an hour or so and I am hoping to be able to have my jeep up and running again in 3 weeks.

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing
Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Since you have a driveline shop you seem to trust I would stick with them, Ive been using the same family run shop here for over 20 years (son runs it now).
I don't mess with that double carden thing, tried it once and it was a royal pain. I just have the shop do it.
So, just take it in when you take in the rear and have them check the front out, repair or replace as needed.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 AM

You can buy a new double cardan "H" joint from Checker. You can also get a new centering joint. So it's all available. The new H joints don't have holes drilled out in the center so that you can lube the centering joint, however.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 PM
350 Buick

I agree with Tad - take it to the shop and have them check out that joint. It could be something simple - you never know.
You can always get a junkyard one, but if it needs new joints you're back to taking the whole thing apart anyway.

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.