• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warmblood58
    232 I6
    • Jul 27, 2022

And gas in the brake booster line . . oh joy

Using a vac line diagram can get you in trouble it appears - my 88 actually needs a line (correct diagram for the '88) that runs off the powervalve port and back to the pcv circuit though it appears there is a "t" that runs off to "Vac reservoir" - the location on the diagram suggests the black can vs. the sphere but my understanding is the can is strictly cruise control, yes? Blew the powervalve fiddling around (lots of backfires and hiccups which explains how gas gets sucked into brake booster line, anyone have the part number for the correct powervalve (holley)?, might order 4 of these because this blown powervalve thing seems to be a reoccuring thing with GW owners. -hope the booster isn't toast, I put a suction line down into it and pulled out a 1/2 cup of gas and will replace booster checkvalve - my first clue was a very hard brake pedal. These emission hoses are a pain in the ass!
    Last edited by warmblood58; 11-10-2022, 06:18 PM.
    James

'88 GW Sterling Silver Metallic
    Previously 1987 GW
  • warmblood58
    232 I6
    • Jul 27, 2022

Changed out booster line (it was not correct anyway and new check valve) pretty sure that gas ruined my booster . . . . I think because of my misrouting vac hose mishap where I had PV line plumbed in with booster, when engine was off, it pull fuel from leaking PV into booster - crap!
    James

Previously 1987 GW

Comment

• letank
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 03, 2002

Cheers to your obstination... this is what FSJ owners are all about... keep trying until it runs!
      Michel
      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• warmblood58
        232 I6
        • Jul 27, 2022

Originally posted by letank
        Cheers to your obstination... this is what FSJ owners are all about... keep trying until it runs!
        lol, thanks - turns out the '89 vac diagram is correct for my GW - never ruined a brake booster before. I would think that thick rubber diaphragm could handle a little gas. GW running great but brakes (due to booster) are now compromised. Still have to pull carb, install new PV, check choke setup and get the PV circuit right so I do not have to worry about sucking fuel into the booster again.
        James

Previously 1987 GW

Comment

Working...
        X