International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 04-10-2020, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
Those white spoke wheels look just right, IMHO. Newer wheels on older vehicles just suck all the cool vintage character out of the whole combination. Again, in my opinion.
I like the chrome ones.
The white ones look cool but I like the chrome with black center caps, better. I think you are win/win. No matter which ones you install, they are going to look BA. You coulda got white or chrome on there as original back in 81, right? Both those sets look like factory wheels to me...
Quote:
There's no copper to speak of in a cam lobe or a lifter that I know of (corrections are welcome if anyone else knows better) so that's probably more like flash rust and oil discoloration.
EXACTLY my thoughts, too. My stock cam looked similar when I first started getting mine going. I say run it. When you do get it started, throw in a quart of ATF or cheap engine flush, let it run for 15-30 mins, drain it and throw fresh oil in.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 04-10-2020, 01:01 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
I like the chrome ones.
The white ones look cool but I like the chrome with black center caps, better. I think you are win/win. No matter which ones you install, they are going to look BA. You coulda got white or chrome on there as original back in 81, right? Both those sets look like factory wheels to me...
Yep, both factory, and both great-looking. Definitely no wrong answer between those choices. I wasn't lobbying against the OEM chrome wheels so much as expressing a preference for a vintage look (which both OEM sets offer) on a vintage ride.

And I second your advice for the engine cleaning process. That engine's going to produce dark oil for a while as all the yuckies get washed off all the surfaces. Just keep monitoring and changing oil frequently and it will probably clean itself up nicely.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:35 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Those white spoke wheels look just right, IMHO. Newer wheels on older vehicles just suck all the cool vintage character out of the whole combination. Again, in my opinion.

They really do.

There's no copper to speak of in a cam lobe or a lifter that I know of (corrections are welcome if anyone else knows better) so that's probably more like flash rust and oil discoloration.

I guess I hadn't seen a cam that color before, after I posted I thought the copper is in the bearings not the lobes or lifters.

Peace of mind is what I was after. Thank you.

So today's project was the rear springs. Well, that hasn't gone according to plans.
I used the new WD-40 The one designed for rusted stuff. I must say it works great. I used a 24" breaker bar and some patience. Everything came loose except the drivers front.

So out comes the tank with at least half a tank of 20 year old gas. I have enough mower gas for a few years.

The frame rail does not look bad, but it was packed with years and years worth of trail riding dirt.

I got most off with a garden hose.

I'm shooting to have the lift installed by tonight. We'll see. I'll post pics later.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:05 PM
327 Rambler

I got the spring out after fighting for a couple more hours. I just had to end up cutting the bolts off on both sides of each spring inside of rear front spring pockets. A person can only pound on a bolt so long, if a bfh is not going to budge it then its time for the sawsall.

Here are pics of the drivers frame rail after the tank was removed.

Also what is the best way to get the rear shackles back into the pocket. My thinking is to put a 4x4 above the spring end and raise the axle. My assumption is that it will flatten out and extend the shackle center to the bolt hole. Thoughts or tips?

Old 04-11-2020, 01:31 PM
327 Rambler

They are in. Why does one side take so long then the other like 10 minutes?
Passenger was a pain, drivers was butter.

Now to get some parts ordered to get the intake back on, and do some figuring on the fuel tank direction.

Also start working on the floor pan.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
They are in. Why does one side take so long then the other like 10 minutes?
Passenger was a pain, drivers was butter.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Of course it was! It just wanted you to respect it. How much respect would you have for it if they were easy on both sides?! LOL!!!
Quote:
...and do some figuring on the fuel tank direction.
Is the tank garbage? Or do you mean, how to clean it?
I have a buddy with a 77 and his tanks was absolutely FULL of gunk. He bought some gas tank cleaner and some cheap chains and put it in the bed of his truck for 2 weeks while he drove around. Cleaned a TON of crap out of it... I think he used CLR or something like that. I can ask if you want...

In your pictures of the frame rails are they bubbling/flaking rust or is that the "years and years worth of trail riding dirt"?
Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 PM
327 Rambler

In your pictures of the frame rails are they bubbling/flaking rust or is that the "years and years worth of trail riding dirt"? __________________

The side of the frame is just dirty, The top of the bottom rail has an inch of crud, it is a little scale type rust but not terrible. No holes!

Kind of stared working on cleaning the built up oil & dirt off of the front end, steering linkage, oil pan etc.... I'll take a few after I'm completely done.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:19 PM
327 Rambler

Is the tank garbage? Or do you mean, how to clean it?
I have a buddy with a 77 and his tanks was absolutely FULL of gunk. He bought some gas tank cleaner and some cheap chains and put it in the bed of his truck for 2 weeks while he drove around. Cleaned a TON of crap out of it... I think he used CLR or something like that. I can ask if you want...

Rang-

It has some 10+ year old gas in it. I have to buy some more gas cans before I can see what the tank is like gunk wise. I'm just thinking out loud about possibly doing something non stock. I'm possibly going to fuel inject it and I was thinking about a tank with baffles and that's made for an in tank fuel pump.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:39 PM
Administrator

copy all, sir!
Old 04-12-2020, 08:31 PM
327 Rambler

I'm waiting on parts I haven't even ordered yet. I spent a little time today getting the new to me drivers seat back in and the dash pad off, So out came the stereo, the clock, the driving light switches and off course the cluster. It had a critter living above the pedals right behind the cluster. So it's nasty and rusted from urine.

I don't have many great pics from that so I'll post a pic of the other Jeep. It's still in progress. Rang you may recognize the valve covers.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:32 PM
Administrator

HOLY CRAP!! That stance is AWESOME!!!! I do remember those!
Old 04-14-2020, 07:09 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
HOLY CRAP!! That stance is AWESOME!!!! I do remember those!

Thanks, I kind of like it also. believe it or not those tires are the same diameter. I specifically found some like the BMW x5 It is an AWD and tire diameter has to be the same. It's also an Extremely rust free 89. It does need the rear washer nozzle.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:26 AM
327 Rambler

So now I have an order into Bj's to get the parts to put intake back on. New intake bolts, valley pan, , carb studs, accelerator cable.

While i wait on that stuff I have been working on the dash. What is the best way to remove the rust? sanding, grinding or? This is after some sanding. The pic below it is before.

And here is it sitting a bit higher.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:09 PM
327 Rambler

I got the dash sanded down and put some primer on it. I was kind of tired of looking at that rust. Maybe not permanent, but better for sure.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:17 PM
230 Tornado

Nice find. You are really turning it around quickly! Had to come check it out after you mentioned something about a build thread replying to mine on fsjnetwork. Looking forward to the next progress update!
2004 Xterra 4x4 Manual
2002 Kawasaki KLR250
Old 04-18-2020, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That looks SOOOOoooooo much better!!! Wow!!!
Old 04-19-2020, 07:41 PM
327 Rambler

I haven't managed to get much done on the 81 because I bought another. I picked up a 79 Cherokee Chief Project of course. It's a runner. and came with A LOT of extra parts!!!!!

It's yellow with black interior. The interior was removed by the po before the po I got it from. It's missing the factory tail gate, but it came with 2 extra.

The only other thing that's not there in the parts I received is carpet.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:47 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icethrasher
Nice find. You are really turning it around quickly! Had to come check it out after you mentioned something about a build thread replying to mine on fsjnetwork. Looking forward to the next progress update!

Welcome to IFSJA. With the new cherokee I got a few exhaust manifolds. PM me and we can figure out a time and day to meet up and I'll pass what you need along to you.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Hey! It's my Chief's twin! Except nicer!
Old 04-20-2020, 07:23 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Hey! It's my Chief's twin! Except nicer!

Marc You should go back through your build thread. This one has a nice original body, but is far from being even close to as nice as yours is.

I found it on fb marketplace about 13 miles from the 81 Cherokee. This one stays as is. just put back together. I need to find some Saxon yellow paint. The original tailgate is MIA. and the non installed brown one it came with will not look quite right on it.