International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Grease Monkey

i have a theory in my head,and it sounded really good until a buddy of mine pointed out its flaws.

i was going to switch from my stock dana 44's to basically brand new dana 60's. my buddy says your gears will be all wrong for the entire truck (buick 350 with the 4 speed standard). I began to doubt myself.

But the newer axles will be stronger and will be easier to adapt my new suspension too, and i want to increase the size of the axle, have disc brakes and eight bolt rims. Buddy answers well you could have all that, but the drivline on the vehicle is tight and it runs good as it is so why make it better, youll have to mess around with everything alot.

Now i am very doubtful of my ideas so help me out here with some advice?
1970 j-2000 gladiator <br />1971 j-2000 gladiator<br /><br /><a href=\"http://fsjworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten?id=3678\" target=\"_blank\">http://fsjworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten?id=3678</a>
Old 09-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Grease Monkey

Depends on your knowledge and experience. Sounds like a good idea but could also cause plenty of headaches later. Changing one thing changes everything else you will do afterwards. I agree with your buddy. If it's in good shape don't mess with it.
Jeep Pictures and Advertising
Old 09-19-2004, 03:25 PM

IF you are going BRAND NEW 60's you get the gears YOU WANT...thats the benefits of buying NEW or custom built.

As stated.. once you change one thing.. you change everything else... drivelines, shocks, wheels, tires, brakes, ect....

If you are upgrading to make it beefier... go with what you got til it breaks if its all good...then upgrade...