• Show
Clear All
  • wincher
    258 I6
    • Dec 08, 2019

HEI

I am interessted in a Davis DUI HEI Street/STrip for my 360 AMC

DUI-40820BL with the lifewires

Does this distributor fit without problems? have read in the questions and answers at summit the installation is tricky becaus of the big cap

which parts are suggested?

I will check the cam gear...

( I can not upgrade with duraspark . My old distributor is a prestolite... if i had one i would save the money. )

and i will connect a old VDO tachometer.

is any tach adapter needed?

regards!
    Last edited by wincher; 02-09-2021, 11:04 AM.
    78 chief 360amc (sold)
    02 wj 4.7HO Overland
    98 ZJ 5,2 limited
  • wincher
    258 I6
    • Dec 08, 2019

Have now found this here from a guy who bought a HEI.
    The right for the duraspark upgrades?

78 chief 360amc (sold)
    02 wj 4.7HO Overland
    98 ZJ 5,2 limited

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

That's a Duraspark. Last year for Prestolite was 1977, at least in the USA. If your Jeep is a '78, it should have Duraspark. The distributor pictured is not complete. Do you have the vacuum advance canister for the distributor you show?

You can buy a complete Duraspark distributor as a new or remanufactured unit. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...stributor,7108

You can upgrade with Duraspark if you use the Duraspark control module or other compatible modules. The Prestolite module is only compatible with the Prestolite distributor.
      Last edited by tgreese; 02-09-2021, 03:39 PM.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Mikel
        • Aug 09, 2000

Since the HEI timing curve is likely different from yours, don't go by initial timing. Verify that you have about 34 degrees of advance (with vac advance disconnected) at 2500-3000 RPM, then reconnect vacuum advance. Make sure you don't have too much vac advance too.
        1969 M715 6x6
        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• FleetFox
          258 I6
          • Apr 04, 2018

There are a number of posts on adding the HEI. If you do it, you will likely have to use a longer power steering belt(s). The big cap usually means you have to push the pump farther out on the adjustment slot. I think the new belts are 1 inch longer than the stock ones. The vacuum horn is a tight fit, but it fits.

Some pics

[/url]1027190031a by highsiera

[/url]1208191500 by highsiera

Fleet Fox

Comment

• wincher
            258 I6
            • Dec 08, 2019

Originally posted by FleetFox
            There are a number of posts on adding the HEI. If you do it, you will likely have to use a longer power steering belt(s). The big cap usually means you have to push the pump farther out on the adjustment slot. I think the new belts are 1 inch longer than the stock ones. The vacuum horn is a tight fit, but it fits.

Some pics

[/url]1027190031a by highsiera

[/url]1208191500 by highsiera

Fleet Fox
            Thank you Fleet fox 👍🏻
            78 chief 360amc (sold)
            02 wj 4.7HO Overland
            98 ZJ 5,2 limited

Comment

• wincher
              258 I6
              • Dec 08, 2019

Davis recomend a 12 gage with max voltage from ignition switch.
              After amp gauge change to voltmeter and some wiring updates i have no 12 gage ignition back from the firewall in the engine bay.
              I can use a smaller wire, or a relay.
              Alternator + goes to a 100 amp circuit breaker and then to the starter relay. i will use this + for the distributor over a 30 amp relay.
              Agreed?
              78 chief 360amc (sold)
              02 wj 4.7HO Overland
              98 ZJ 5,2 limited

Comment

• wincher
                258 I6
                • Dec 08, 2019

First try with the HEI. It is huge!
                I mean this is the only possible position.
                (the fuel hoses are right outside from steering pump now.)
                Have seen a pic with the HEI is turned counter clockwise, with the vacuum part near by the pump. but what about the socket for the wires??
                the socket touches the rear bracket from the pump...

a longer belt makes not much difference in the gap between pump and HEI.

78 chief 360amc (sold)
                02 wj 4.7HO Overland
                98 ZJ 5,2 limited

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 09, 2014

Could you try to turn it around so that the vacuum nipple from the ignition advance is pointing to the left front wheel.
                  Then it should be possible to put the small vacuum hose on and route it under the steering pump reservoir and around the oil filler pipe and to the carburateur.
                  Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
                  73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
                  80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
                  70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
                  85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
                  83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• Jenga77
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 16, 2014

Hey, I just got done installing my DUI last weekend. Here are a few of the main things I found:
                    • No matter which way I oriented the distributor there was not much initial advance adjustment possible. The only orientations I found that worked were the one you have and with the vacuum canister pointing to the power steering like I have on mine. The wire plug just barely fit between the power steering pump and my rocker cover. I was able to get the initial advance dialled in without a problem though.
                    • It is very close to the power steering, you might need a longer belt. I ended up being okay but mine might have already been longer.
                    • The livewire length was kind of all over the place. I contacted performance distributors and asked which terminal I should make #1 and they said the one closest to you when you're standing in front of the engine. Even when I did that the #2 wire was too short, and others were longer than they needed to be. So I ended up just going with it and trying to tidy up the routing with clamps. The #2 wire is still tighter than I would like. I wasn't impressed since I was expecting perfect lengths considering they're custom made for the engine.
                    Here are some pictures of mine:

Last edited by Jenga77; 04-29-2021, 08:27 AM.
                    --------------------
                    77 J10 - 360, T18, Dana 20, J20 Axles

Comment

• wincher
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 08, 2019

Thank you much guys.

Jenga 77: i will try it your way. when your wire plug fits behind the steering pump it must fit by mine too.
                      my piston 1 is on TDC
                      terminal 1 and rotor are the same way.
                      to set the initial advanced 12 degrees you need place to turn the distributor counter clock wise.
                      is it better to turn cam and crank on 10 degrees so less turning is needed?
                      78 chief 360amc (sold)
                      02 wj 4.7HO Overland
                      98 ZJ 5,2 limited

Comment

• wincher
                        258 I6
                        • Dec 08, 2019

have googeled and found this pics

the blue is like yours, the red with the wire plug in front..

78 chief 360amc (sold)
                        02 wj 4.7HO Overland
                        98 ZJ 5,2 limited

Comment

• Jenga77
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 16, 2014

I think either way will work. The way the red one is will give you more adjustment, but not by much. I wasn't keen on having the wires and vacuum line so close to the belts so I went with the other way. It is very tight though, the one spark plug wire is right up against the power steering bracket.

I think that's the right approach, if you have your #1 cylinder on TDC and line up the #1 terminal with the rotor it should be in the right ballpark. You can give it a bit of advance to start, but you don't have to move the distributor much to get to 12 degrees. With mine in the position it is I was able to go from 5-15 degrees advance moving it back and forth so it was no problem.

You can double check the initial timing with a timing light while cranking (and the fuel off / blocked) to make sure it's roughly correct, then warm the engine up and reset it at idle with the vacuum disconnected once the engine is hot.
                          --------------------
                          77 J10 - 360, T18, Dana 20, J20 Axles

Comment

• wincher
                            258 I6
                            • Dec 08, 2019

Originally posted by Jenga77
                            I think either way will work. The way the red one is will give you more adjustment, but not by much. I wasn't keen on having the wires and vacuum line so close to the belts so I went with the other way. It is very tight though, the one spark plug wire is right up against the power steering bracket.

I think that's the right approach, if you have your #1 cylinder on TDC and line up the #1 terminal with the rotor it should be in the right ballpark. You can give it a bit of advance to start, but you don't have to move the distributor much to get to 12 degrees. With mine in the position it is I was able to go from 5-15 degrees advance moving it back and forth so it was no problem.

You can double check the initial timing with a timing light while cranking (and the fuel off / blocked) to make sure it's roughly correct, then warm the engine up and reset it at idle with the vacuum disconnected once the engine is hot.
                            I will get back to you.
                            Before starting is possible i have to fix a few other Things
                            78 chief 360amc (sold)
                            02 wj 4.7HO Overland
                            98 ZJ 5,2 limited

Comment

• Crankyolman
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 27, 2017

I see you pretty much already have your answer but this is the only position that gave me enough adjustment.

'72 J4500

Comment

Working...
                              X