International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-16-2011, 10:01 PM

Engine swap on 78 Cherokee Chief 360

Hello. I just got my first jeep and this is my first post on this forum. I'm used to working on old mustangs but had the opportunity to pick up a 1978 Cherokee Chief. It has a 360 4V with an automatic transmission. It has not been on the road since 1988. I have been able to get it to run and idle smooth, but as soon as I put it in gear or try to drive it, then it either dies or has no power. Any suggestions on this?

I also have a friend who has a complete AMC 360 engine and automatic transmission out of an '89 FSJ sitting in his garage. Would I be able to swap my engine and transmission with one from an '89?

I appreciate any help you can give. I'm looking forward to getting familiar with jeeps and getting this one restored.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 PM

I believe Chrysler bought out AMC in '87. I'd double check that it's an AMC 360 not a MOPAR 360. The distributor location should give it away asap.

As far as it dieing when you put it into gear, i'd make sure the carb is clean and squirting fuel appropriately, make sure the idle speed is good, check the timing and look for vacuum leaks. Hopefully it's a small inexpensive issue.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:49 PM
327 Rambler

You have a th 400 trans and a q-trac transfer case, The other trans is a 727 I'm thinking it would be a pain to adapt your existing t-case to the new 727 trans.

I personally would be looking for vacuum leaks on all of the dry rotted rubber lines under the hood all the way to the transmission modulator.

Do you know the reason it was parked?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeck1985
I believe Chrysler bought out AMC in '87. I'd double check that it's an AMC 360 not a MOPAR 360. The distributor location should give it away asap.

As far as it dieing when you put it into gear, i'd make sure the carb is clean and squirting fuel appropriately, make sure the idle speed is good, check the timing and look for vacuum leaks. Hopefully it's a small inexpensive issue.

NO. It's not a mopar 360, its an AMC 360 and was 'till the end(91). You can swap the engines straight across (swap flexplates also), but not the transfer cases, unless you either want to swap the front to a drivers side drop or mount a passenger drop Dodge transfer case to the '87 transmission.One thing to remember if you just swap engines is to either find the crankshaft bushing for your T400(Its a very thin,round bushing you drive into the end of the crank to align the torque converter)or be diligent about keeping the converter bolts tight as they can work loose after time due to possible misalignment without it.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:01 AM
King Browless

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellowwagoneer
NO. It's not a mopar 360, its an AMC 360 and was 'till the end(91).
Another NO! Never ever a MOPAR 360 in a FSJ.
Folks swap AMC 360 from different years all the time.
There are some gotchas like Yellowdog mentioned, but very doable.

However, like it was mentioned, you have a TH400 and your friend's '89 is a TF727.
I would keep your current TH400 and Quadratrac transfer case and just swap engines.

But, before I would swap engines, I would troubleshoot your current issue beofre I would swap engines.

My guess would be the powervalve in the carb.
I do not know much about the Motorcraft 4350.
Vacuum leaks would the other thing to check for.
1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Lost in Divorce
1987 J20 Pioneer: Former 'Ricbee' plow rig. RUST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Last edited by The PIG Smith : 10-17-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:49 AM

Thank you for the replies. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the vacuum lines for the 78 360 with the 4 barrel? I've searched and can only find the 2 barrel diagrams. I also picked up the Chilton manual just for that diagram and it is not in there.

The story on the jeep is a long time friend of the family co owned this jeep with a business partner along with some lake property. They bought the jeep new to leave at the lake for hunting and pulling a boat. The other owner took care of having all maintenance and repairs done. When they decided to part ways, our friend bought the lake property and jeep and let the jeep sit in the garage. It looks like there was some shady mechanic work done on the jeep. Several vacuum lines have been removed and there are open ports everywhere. The jeep has a/c and cruise which I would like to hook back up if I knew how. It looks like the smog pump and canister have been removed and the tubes that come off of the exhaust manifolds have just been cut and left open. It's really a mess and a diagram of how to put everything back together without the smog pump and canister would be a great help.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_78
Thank you for the replies. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the vacuum lines for the 78 360 with the 4 barrel? I've searched and can only find the 2 barrel diagrams. I also picked up the Chilton manual just for that diagram and it is not in there.

The story on the jeep is a long time friend of the family co owned this jeep with a business partner along with some lake property. They bought the jeep new to leave at the lake for hunting and pulling a boat. The other owner took care of having all maintenance and repairs done. When they decided to part ways, our friend bought the lake property and jeep and let the jeep sit in the garage. It looks like there was some shady mechanic work done on the jeep. Several vacuum lines have been removed and there are open ports everywhere. The jeep has a/c and cruise which I would like to hook back up if I knew how. It looks like the smog pump and canister have been removed and the tubes that come off of the exhaust manifolds have just been cut and left open. It's really a mess and a diagram of how to put everything back together without the smog pump and canister would be a great help.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input.

I apologize that I'm advising you to spend money. The Haynes/Chiltons manuals are full of mistakes and lack both practical advice and detail.

Get the factory manual (FSM, TSM) for 1978. The FSM is without question the best resource for fixing your car. Available as reprints, but they aren't cheap. http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-673.htm BJ's is not the only source, but they will give you a modest discount for being an IFSJA member. Original copies of these books sometimes appear on eBay too.

The FSM will show you the vacuum line routing. The FSM may not show you everything in one diagram, but all the info will be there, system by system.

You can also look at www.oljeep.com for manuals and diagrams close to your year. No guarantee that the wrong year will be correct though - these systems changed, sometimes significantly, from year to year in this era.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM

Here's a 79 diagram.

If you want my advice, I would stop right now, tinkering with the original engine. I've become of the opinion that the only way to do things with a new to you, old vehicle, that isn't running and driving as you buy it, is to start from scratch. Either swap in a running and driving engine, or pull the engine and rebuild it so you know what you've got.

Every project I've started, from a non-running, non-driving vehicle, has led to nickle and dime bandaids, wasting time and money and not yielding an end result worth that time or money, often requiring a swap or rebuild AFTER all the band aids.

However, at the same time, it could honestly be as simple as a vacuum leak and a carb rebuild. This is the time to put down what you will and will not do prior to pulling the plug and starting from scratch - rebuild the carb? New vacuum lines? New ignition? Rewiring? I think it would be prudent to say something like "I'll spend <$50 and a few hours of time rebuilding the carb, replacing filters and running some vacuum lines, but if it's not right at that point, I'm pulling the engine and rebuilding or dropping something else in."

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks again for the replies. The diagram is helpful. I believe I'm missing the diverter valve and purge valve canister. I'll try just capping the CTO switch. On my 78 there is something that hooks up to vacuum mounted just about at the center of the firewall and something else mounted to a bracket on the back of the intake. I can't find pictures of these and don't know what they are. They are open but look to have hookups for vacuum. I do not see those in this diagram. Does anyone know what these might be? I will try and get some pictures up if that would help. I don't mind spending some money to make it right. I have located an Edelbrock AMC performer intake manifold and 1406 carb at a very reasonable price. It looks as though it would be much simpler to hook up the vacuum system if I put those on. Any opinions on this setup? I would like to try this first to get me through this winter season and then pull the motor for a rebuild.

Thank you for the info on the manuals. I'm going to get one ordered. I haven't been to happy with Chilton or Haynes manuals in the past.