International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Gear Head

My "uncle's" way cool swing out carrier!

Ok,
So i didnt know where this should go as its part tech and mostly just being thrown out there to give folks ideas! Being in the Army gives me lots of chances to scope out interesting innovations paid for by our beautiful tax dollars. Kinda like NASA, the military doesn't see cost as a limiting factor when having stuff designed and built...just look at the Hmmvee! You think ol Sam really cares how much diesel costs when thier Mainstay vehicle gets about 6mpg?? Oh well
On the flip side...and speaking of Hmmvees. I took a closer look at some "new" ones sitting in a motorpool the otherday and noticed a really COOL swingout tire carrier system!!! What makes this any different than all the hundreds of others you ask??? Well.. for one, it didnt rattle!!! I Shook the CRAP outta the 37" MTR on it and NADA! The other really neat thing is that it raises and lowers the tire to ground level for you!!! You youngsters out there may smirk but trust me... lifting stupid-heavy objects all your life has a nasty way of paying you back!!! make that BACK!!!! Anyhow, there is a built in sort of "ratcheting" mechinism that lifts the load out of a channel...you swing it out as normal.. then, after reversing the ratcheting thingie...it lowers it to ground level!!! No mess, No Fuss...Just PURE IMPACT! The last resort..er, nevermind! After staring at it for a while i believe a similar (wouldn't want to infringe on Sammies Copyrites!!) system could be adapted for those of us with Jeeps!! Maybe modify the length to accommodate lifted rigs or reverse mounting or...I dont know!!??
So, If your interested... you'll have to google the Manufacturer since computers HATE me and i don't know how to add "links". Heck, I can barely type!! The Companys name is Rhino Industries and or BPR/Rico Equipment. AM General part number is 6035862 The picts on thier site for referance are a bit vague... But i think you will get the gist of what im talking about here. I don't know if you could buy the "ratcheting thingies" Somewhere (Grainger? Northern Tool??) but i suppost they could also be made from some stout steering rod type stuff??
Anyhow... I just felt the need to share this with everyone. I will be trying to make one for either my FS CHerokee or my MAN-DO project! If i can borrow a digital camera and someone to teach me how to post picts i will start a thread..! Good luck!!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Perpetually Perplexed

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click
Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Gear Head

ARGH!

Hey KREK... Try reading the post and you will realise i DONT KNOW HOW TO POST PICTS!!! Feel free to search the info i offered and post 'em yourself! Geezzz. I hate computers!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 PM
258 I6

I am sold on that. I bet it cost 2 grand or something.

http://www.rhinolift.com/pdfs/RICO%2...Literature.pdf

1970 Kaiser Wagoneer -SOLD (currently getting built by new owner)
Build thread-http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=103447
1979 Cherokee Chief WT 360. SOLD
1977 Cherokee Chief WT Sport 401. SOLD
1975 International Scout II (My DD)
Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Gear Head

Thanks for the 'puter help guys!!

I find it funny that i will happily waste weeks of my life grinding on some chunk of rust metal but wont spend 5min learning computer junk!! Thanks for helping!!
I think i would VOMIT if i went to hummer to ask what they sell for! Then id have to laff at the folks WILLING to!!! I believe i will try and serch some supply houses for something like the ratchet thingy..I know i can duplicate it pretty close but i think i would rather taylor it to my liking. The one im envisioning for my '67 Jeepster Commando half cab will follow the (strange) contour of the back. That will mean it will have to traverse several angles at once. The one for my FS Cherokee should be much more striaght forward. I may make it adjust so i can lower it for street use (for visibility) and raise it for departure clearance off road?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 AM

Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 AM
258 I6

The ratcheting part of that system appears to be a modified ratcheting load binder off a semi-truck trailer. They can be had fairly cheap through various sources, and the rest looks like fairly simple fabricating for the handy DIYer. To me it's one of those duh, why didn't I think of it first kind of deals. I'd bet some of the more gifted guys on here could whip that out pretty quick in their garage.
94 Cherokee, 31's
68 J-3000, 232, 3 on the tree (under the knife soon)
78 J10, 360, Q/T, auto. Sacrificial lamb.
78 J20, 360, Q/T auto. Future unknown.
75 J20, 360, Q/T, auto. Reprieved sacrifice.
73 J20, 232, D20, 3spd. Axle sacrifice
Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Gone,But not Forgotten.

The only thing I will bring up is mouning point. On the Hummer they are mounting it to a very strong point of the frame, which is also where it is lifted from by sling. So I saying this I would just say use caution when mounting it to your Commando. The frames on the rear are no where near strong enough to mount a spare tire like that without major metal beefing to keep it from wiggleing and tearing off.

Great design though!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Gear Head

hmm...

Thanks "greening", i will be looking around for the ratcheting mech. I new id seen 'em somewhere! Colo-Fire-man.., I will be replacing the rear crossmember of my mando with 1/4" wall rec tubing and the frame is getting completely plated as well. If that doesn't do it for strength i will add gussets or extra plating as needed! Should be interesting to say the least!!