International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 AM

Question

I have gone through 2 alternators in 2 years now. This last one is a 140 amp napa.

Does anybody have a part number that would mount into the stock location and have a higher amperage than 140?

a side note, I just hooked up dual Optimas in the waggy. I don't think it is related to the alt going out because the alt was making a chunk sound before I did the install. That big of an alternator should be fine for 2 batteries correct?

Thanks all,
Matt
'87 Grand, ported-n-polished, JET Q-Jet stage2 800cfm, rv cam, custom 3"exhaust, Jacobs ignition, MSD pro-billet dizzy, performer intake, 6" BJ's, 2" shackle F, shackle flip and .75" R, 35"MTR's, BJ's dozer bumper, Warn XP9500, Lock-Rights F/R, on-board air, rock lights

http://community.webshots.com/user/m...st%3dcommunity
Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Master Mechanic

all depends upon your load ,electrically that is.140 amp output and two batteries should be fine for almost every application,I would think.you didnt mention what type of alternator you were using. maybe it is just the quality of the rebuild you are buying hard to say.you can get an inductive amp meter that just clips around the the wire that can tell you haw many amps you are drawing.that is probably a good place to start.could be that winch is just cooking the rectifier diodes.too much currently even intermittently is not a good thing for diodes.they do make high current dual rectifier alternators up into the 250 to 300 amp region ,but they are EXPENSIVE.do an internet search on that,you should be able to find a couple vendors to sell you what you want.but really before you go plopping down all that coin make sure that you really need one and that your problem is not simply poor connections or undersized wires.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:28 AM

I got it at Napa. I haven't used the winch since I've had this alternator. Maybe I just got a defective one.

I know about 3 months ago I noticed that while sitting at a stop light with my headlights on and heater running the digital voltmeter I have was reading 10ish. I had the alternator tested and it tested good. I thought a 140amp wouldn't have any problem keeping up but it did.

matt
'87 Grand, ported-n-polished, JET Q-Jet stage2 800cfm, rv cam, custom 3"exhaust, Jacobs ignition, MSD pro-billet dizzy, performer intake, 6" BJ's, 2" shackle F, shackle flip and .75" R, 35"MTR's, BJ's dozer bumper, Warn XP9500, Lock-Rights F/R, on-board air, rock lights

http://community.webshots.com/user/m...st%3dcommunity
Old 04-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Gear Head

What kind of alternator is it, a stock replacement SI series with an upgrade, or did you swap to a CS-Series?

06 Honda Accord SE 5spd- The Daily Ricer
Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 AM
232 I6

Eh im not too sure on finding another Alternator that has higher than 140 somewhere locally. But this site does have a 200 amp set up thats a direct bolt in. Look at the GM 12Si units.
http://www.mechman.com/alt.htm

If you just want to repair your own you can grab a alternator rebuild kit at checker auto or pepboys for around 15 to 20 bucks. I have been running one of those kits in my 83 wag for 2 years still no probs and it comes with everything you need to make your old alternator new. You only reuse the non-wearing parts, everything else is replaced.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=VLP&mfrpartnumber=GMA01 &parttype=876&ptset=A

[ April 05, 2006, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan M. ]

83 Wagoneer Limited,LQ4 Z06 6.0L,AX-15,NP 208
07 Liberty, 3.7, NSG370, NV 231