International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 05-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Grease Monkey

Holley Projection Tuning

hey guys I need to tune my holley projection TBI setup. I bought the set up already installed need to know where to start the vehicle runs awesome on it except during hard acceleration seems to hesitate just need to kno how to tune this set up
78 waggy " Chester", 6" lift, 33x12.50, AMC 360, 401 intake, Holly Projection, T-18a, D20, Warn locking hubs,Mopar Performance Dizzy, mallory coil, 3" exhaust, Stewart Warner Gauges,for those hot summer days after market AC
Old 05-30-2007, 06:00 PM
The Advisor

Do you have the manual? There are some good tips in it. I think you can find it online as well. Anyways, you are probably a tad rich. Try touching the main down a bit. You want to be on the lean side without damaging the engine. Run premium gas. Mine runs like a scalded cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchct
There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.

"The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper
Old 05-30-2007, 07:16 PM

i would think you need to tune the ACCEL knob. Mine runs a little rich but I don't care. I'd rather run a little rich then lean and risk damage to the engine.

I found out that Rockwagon aka Chad blew an engine for running it too lean. Just make sure you're at operating temp before doing any tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun2mo
I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny019
I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Analog or Digital?

If analog, get a 2 fuel pressure gauges, one for the supply and one for the return, and mount them close to the back of the throttle body.

You need a relay to turn on the fuel pump, so go ahead and get that done as well, as the transistor used to drive the fuel pump is inside the Analog unit and really heats up the case... this in turn causes pre-mature failures in the Analog systems.

Take the throttle position sensor (TPS) and loosen so you can adjust while the engine is running. Get someone to start the vehicle and play
with the TPS until the engine runs at 1000 rpm's pretty smooth. This is with all of the potientiometers set to the mid-range level.

You have a choke, and this can be set full Clock wise (CW) to assist in getting the engine started (runs a bit richer).

Once the engine is warmed up (test by turning the choke potentiometer all the counter clock wise (CCW) and there should be very little change in the engine rpm and running.

Now, play with the TPS by changing it's position very slightly to find the response on the Mid Range potentiometer...what you want to achieve is a point where the Mid Range can be turned CW to peak out the rpm's and still be backed off a bit. When this is set correctly, AND the IDLE potentiometer is set at it's mid-range value. (You want to be able to get a very slight raising/lowering of the idle when you move the Idle Potentiometer CW/CCW).

Now, you need to address whether the engine is running rich or lean, so set the gas supply to 12PSI, and check the return PSI, it should be 2PSI or so. Start pulling plugs until you get 'er right. Some run as low a 11-something, while others need 13 or so. The less pressure, the better the gas mileage, and vice versa. DO NOT RUN TOO LEAN!!!!

Mount a second electric fuel pump Red 12-801 from Summit and you will be pretty much set.

Carry a spare TPS or two, they DO NOT LIKE WATER. Autozone has them for $32 dollars.

That has worked for me since about 1995, and three engines... so far so good. If you have a Digital....Never Mind...
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
Old 06-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Grease Monkey

I have analog is the digital one better
78 waggy " Chester", 6" lift, 33x12.50, AMC 360, 401 intake, Holly Projection, T-18a, D20, Warn locking hubs,Mopar Performance Dizzy, mallory coil, 3" exhaust, Stewart Warner Gauges,for those hot summer days after market AC
Old 06-01-2007, 06:08 PM
The Advisor

Definitely

Quote:
There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.

"The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper
Old 06-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjeep44
Definitely
enlighten me with why it is better and I was thinking will the digital ecu work with my analog wiring harness just looking to get the best bang for my buck upgrades and improve the restoration that has already been done on the waggy
Old 06-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Auto Trannie God

i have the install and tunning video for the projection
Old 06-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Grease Monkey

I fount the tuning guide for my projection with all the bookwork for my jeep. should be able to get it but i still want to know if the digital ecu will fit my analog wiring harness
Old 06-03-2007, 09:03 AM
The Advisor

That's a question for holley. I'm not sure what exactly is better about the digital over the analog but I believe they had a lot of issues out of the analog which is why the digital came about.

Quote: