International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Folks,

I have a 1983 Cherokee Laredo with the Dana 44 (Front axle disconnect via vaccum) and a NP-229 Transfer case, just so you know.

I took a trip this past weekend and ended up pulling the front driveshaft due to a rear U-joint failure (no genius mechanic here, eh?).

So I left the U-joints installed and unbolted and removed, but neglected to mark anything.

Is it going to vibrate on me when I replace both U-Joints on the front drive shaft?

What are the best choices in U-Joints (I have a 4-Inch Superlift), I have heard that the non greasable units were tops, but just don't know....

I have 1350's on the rear driveshaft to the Dana 60, so which one's should I put up front?
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
Old 10-11-2004, 12:58 PM
FSJ Maniac

worse case Joe, you can try turning them 1/4 turn if they do vibrate and reattaching until you get it right. I didn't mark mine first time around either...guess I got lucky [img]smile.gif[/img]

I could be wrong, but I think the joints are all the same part #. At least I'm pretty sure they are on my 74. What's the parts site say?
Old 10-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gawdzilla.:
I could be wrong, but I think the joints are all the same part #. At least I'm pretty sure they are on my 74. What's the parts site say?
I am afraid to ask the monkeys behind the parts counter...

You know the routine..."Yep those big Jeeps are "Sweeeeeeet", you have the Chrysler 318 or the 360...."

Guess I'll dig out my TSM and check it?
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
Old 10-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:57 PM
FSJ Maniac

welcome!