International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-19-2020, 06:35 PM
350 Buick

HOW TO MODIFY COOLANT PIPE END FOR RADIATOR HOSE CONNECTION

I have a rear mounted radiator and I used the aluminum pipe and silicone elbows that you find in a universal intercooler hose kit to plumb the coolant system to the bed. The issue I have is that when you cut the factory end off the pipe you lose the lip/bevel or what ever you call the enlarged ring near the end of the pipe that aids the hose clamp in keeping the hose from slipping off. (if anyone knows the right term for that lip please let me know) From experience I know that without that lip the rubber hose can blow off the pipe. In the past I have installed 4 pan heads screws around the diameter just short of the pipe and it has worked but has anyone found a cleaner more OEM solution?

Thanks
Dan
Old 10-20-2020, 09:40 AM

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/8008... ABEgLSufD_BwE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmac
I have a rear mounted radiator and I used the aluminum pipe and silicone elbows that you find in a universal intercooler hose kit to plumb the coolant system to the bed. The issue I have is that when you cut the factory end off the pipe you lose the lip/bevel or what ever you call the enlarged ring near the end of the pipe that aids the hose clamp in keeping the hose from slipping off. (if anyone knows the right term for that lip please let me know) From experience I know that without that lip the rubber hose can blow off the pipe. In the past I have installed 4 pan heads screws around the diameter just short of the pipe and it has worked but has anyone found a cleaner more OEM solution?

Thanks
Dan
Dan, (that's my name too)

Depending on the material and wall thickness of the pipe you may be able to make a tool using pliers. You could possibly fashion a new set of jaws from steel that represent the shape you want and weld them to the jaws of the pliers.

If you expect the forming will be difficult because of the thickness or stiffness of the pipe than make the new jaws narrow. You may even consider reshaping the jaws on the pliers instead of making new ones.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?
Old 10-20-2020, 09:59 AM
350 Buick

Thanks the pipe is aluminum so your idea would work well. I will give it a try.