As usual, I bit off more than I could chew in the time that I had. This fender flare job is rough. Spent a couple more hours yesterday. My hope was to get it all welded up before heading out on my trip.
I pulled the rear tire off for more room to work. I think I need new tires.
Those are metal bands showing through:
Pounding the rear fender well into the rear fender was the easier of the two sides but I had a really hard time getting my welder set up. So the rear half of the fender looks terrible (and is not done). Structurally it is sound but it looks terrible.
However, the front was a little harder to pound into shape but since the welder was set up, I had a much easier time stitching them together.
The top of the inner fender well is really arched and is very difficult to pound into shape. I was running out of time so the top didn't get touched worked on much.
On a related note, I sent my broken front driveshaft to J20 Project to rebuild about a week and a half ago. I figured I would send it to him to work on while I am out of town. He turned it around FASSSST!!! It showed up earlier this week.
He put a much thicker side wall shaft on it. Left side is stock QT front shaft (like I broke), right is what I have now.
He also found a slightly longer travel yoke and put that on there. I threw it on the shelf to install later. If you have never tried to install a front shaft on a QT with the case in the truck, it takes F.O.R.E.V.E.R. The flange is above the crossmember, you can't get a socket on it, and clearance is terrible.
I also did some adjustments to my timing table. I brought some more timing in at the mid and heavy throttle areas. Took it out for a really short test drive to see how my timing table worked out. It was AWESOME! Much better. AND it was much better where you drive it everyday. So stoked at this point. I pull up to a stop sign (about 1/2 mile from my house), give it about 3/4 throttle and "PING! Ggggrrrrrrr....." . Broke my axle.
I push my truck out of traffic, walk home to get my nice new beefy front driveshaft, a 1/2 inch wrench, and vacuum pump.
Spent 45 minutes on my back installing my driveshaft, shifted it into 4wd, and drove it home in FWD. I did my best to not set it on fire but got really close. I will pull the diff cover next week to at least see what I broke but that's it.