• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wagoneerlover
    350 Buick
    • Jan 18, 2004

Transfer case swap (np229) to np242

Hello everyone. I am sick and tired of this stupid np 229 and its vacuum controls. Mine isnt working again and I need 4wd now that the snow has come the my area. Anyway because of my connections at the local junkyard I might be able to get an np242 (From a smaller cherokee) for $100 bucks. What would swapping this case in entail? What is the spline count on the 229? I need to know if its 23 or 21 spline so that I get the correct 242. The 242 imo seems to be a better case and parts availablity seems to be better. lastly it is controled via machanical(rod) shifter and it eliminates the vacuum pump/switch that is necessary for the 229. The two cases appear similiar in size so I probably won't have to worry about major length/size issues. Also does the 242 have the same bolt pattern as the 229? or would I need an adapter?
    88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
    89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
    2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
    1. TBI
    2. New fuel tank
    3. AW-4 Transmission
    4. Aluminum condensor
    5. Custom Gauge Panel

I don't know anything about the NP242, but it should use the same bolt patern. The NP229 uses a 23 spline input. I would go with a NP208 myself.
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

You want the 23 spline NP242 like Crazy Jeepman said. The 242 is a good case. It uses a Torsen diff in it instead of a viscous coupling.I like the Cherokee 242's with their 2WD mode. The full time version was used in the H1 Hummers so it should hold up to your Wag. You will need to have a new rear driveshaft made as I think the 242 is a slip yoke and I don't know if you will be able to use your front shaft or have it modified.

[ December 06, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Chevelleguy ]
      David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
      83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
      10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• FSJ Guy
        • Mar 20, 2005

Without the front axle disconnect (which you don't have), I have absolutely no problems with my 229. Might I suggest checking the vac motor and/or making sure the mode lever is adjusted correctly? That will REALLY make a difference.
        Ethan Brady
        1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
          350 Buick
          • Jan 18, 2004

Thanks fellas. Crazy_Jeepman I am only swapping in the case for temp basis. I still plan to swap in the 4l80E and the super strong hummer np242 but due to the fact that I am studying for a serios professional exam I have no time nor the molah (only because I am saving for the hummer case and the Fuel injected vortec engine 454) right now to get all the components I need. My original wag the 82 had a 208 and I loved that case. The only reason I am not looking for the 208 is because the price. I just happen to be able to get my hands on some great used 242's for 100 bucks. I have a hookup at my local salvage yard and because he had like ten of them sitting there he is willing to let me get my hands on one for 100 bucks or so. The 208 would run me like 750 I think? But you are right the 208 was a great case. Thanks for all of your input guys. I will definitely need this info when it comes time to swap it all in.

Upgrades

2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

1. TBI
          2. New fuel tank
          3. AW-4 Transmission
          4. Aluminum condensor
          5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
            350 Buick
            • Jan 18, 2004

It is still not shifting Chevelle guy. I will check the shifter linkages etc. tommorow. I just discovered somthing else. There is a line that runs into the top of the case that has trans fluid running through it. The fitting for that (the elbow shaped fitting that runs into the transfer case snapped and trans fluid is slowly seeping out. What is this line and I am almost sure that this is the reason it isnt shifting. Unfortunately I have not been able to find anyone that has the elbow fitting that goes into the case. (Where can I get one and what the heck is this line?)

Upgrades

2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

1. TBI
            2. New fuel tank
            3. AW-4 Transmission
            4. Aluminum condensor
            5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

• Ted_Z
              232 I6
              • Sep 16, 2005

I'm sure you can get a 208 from one of the memebers here for much less than $750 (maybe even $100). Just ask on the wanted board.

Also why use a H1-NP242 over say a NP205?
              -Ted Z
              '76 Cherokee S

Comment

The line you are refering to is the vent tube. Sounds like there is too much fluid in the case. Find a junk yard Wag and take the fitting out of it.You may have to get an 1/8" brass elbow fitting and screw it into the case but that may not be very easy with the case in the truck. Ted is right. You should be able to find a 208 alot cheaper than $750. I picked up one for $140.
                David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• scotty
                  • Jun 12, 2000

just be sure to double check spline counts before handing over any non-refundable $$ as the early(up till at least 91) aw4 autos that the 242 typically came onhad a 21 spline tailsahft in order to get a 23 spline 242 that will fit your 727 youll need one from a later,23 spline aw4.

also my experieces with xj transfer cases in a FSJ suggest youll also need to rig up an xj shifter,as the arm is at a wierd angle and will be difficult to hook to the plastic flag 229 shifter. when i ran a 207 in my wag i swapped the xj arm for a wrangler arm and ran the wrangler shifter. much cooler than the plastic flag [img]smile.gif[/img]

i personally think the 242 would be a great case for winter weather driving-full time plus a high lock if you really get into trouble
                  scotty
                  85 grand wagoneer
                  258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
                  38" TSL SXs
                  chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 18, 2004

Chevelleguy if the 242 has a slip yoke would that mean that the 229 is a fixed yoke? (Hence why the rear drifeshaft will need to be replaced.) maybe I could get a fixed yoke kit for the 242. Assuming I dont just go the easy way and get the 208. All of this is just temporary anyway until I get my hands on a vortec engine and some other components. I already have the 4l80e and just have to get the rest of the things I need. ( I actually have been spending so much money just getting this rig right that I am thinking I may buy another one for use with the vortec components and keep this one with the stock amc 360 etc.) Oh boy here we go again the jeep fever is running wild!!

Upgrades

2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

1. TBI
                    2. New fuel tank
                    3. AW-4 Transmission
                    4. Aluminum condensor
                    5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

Working...
                    X