• Show
Clear All
  • 78 WIDETRAC
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
    It does look super nice!!!
    Thanks Marc.

It drives a lot better with new rubber. A t-18 4 speed and 3:31 gears turn the 33's so much easier than 36's. I'm super happy about that.

The wheels look shiny, but they are actually flat black.

Almost time to get that bumper and winch back on. I'm picking up some good used warn winch parts to give it a bit of a refresh. and have some spare parts.

This jeep has a bit of piss when you hit the gas pedal! 4 speed helps! I love that it's a factory manual trans Jeep.

Still needs the floor pan work. Which should begin pretty soon.

I'll keep chipping away at it, driving it helps the motivation for sure.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

I've been putting the finishing touches on the front suspension. A new steering stabilizer and sway bar bushing and end links. And the new passenger shackle. It had the wrong size sleeve in it. I also drilled new holes in the fssr brackets to push the front spring fixed point back and up a touch. Pic before the shackle replacement

I need to center my steering wheel also. I'll get the front bumper back on after my steering box gets replaced. I also picked up a box of used warn winch parts 3 extra motors and solenoids packs.

I started buttoning up the dash also. I put the digital clock back in and the rear window switch. Thinking about a basic am/fm/cd radio.

I Drilled a couple holes for the dakota dash adjustment buttons.

I'm trying to figure out the dome lights also. I'm not sure why that is such a pain. I think I'm missing something easy. Like where they are powered from to begin with.

Comment

• My guess would be the door switches. They are the grounding point.
        Art
        ASE Master Collision Tech
        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
          350 Buick
          • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by goldhammer
          My guess would be the door switches. They are the grounding point.

This is the feed for the door switches. It's part of the harness and splits right there. One going to the drivers pillar switch the other to the passenger pillar switch. I can't locate a plug that is triggered w/ power when the pillar switch is open.

What does that plug look like? because it will feed power to the b-pillar that has the dome wiring, allowing the domes to work. I think I'm looking for a brown wire? It's confusing because I think of orange for lights, and I feel like blue is also used for lights.

Because the headlight switch also activates the domes, I'll start there.
          Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 05-31-2021, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• My '88, the domes have 12V at all times from a hot lead. The other lead feeds to the "A" pillar switches. When the door is opened, they spring out and complete the circuit by grounding through the body.

Suspect the same system in use in '81. See if the "B" pillar leads are hot.
            Art
            "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

My 79 is like that too. 12v all the time, then when you open the door, switch grounds and turns lights on.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                350 Buick
                • Aug 19, 2003

My '88, the domes have 12V at all times from a hot lead. The other lead feeds to the "A" pillar switches. When the door is opened, they spring out and complete the circuit by grounding through the body.

Suspect the same system in use in '81. See if the "B" pillar leads are hot.

This is the wiring at the B- pillar

I've been looking through the first pics I took trying to find one of the wires that were on the floor board- I think?

My 84 had a flat wire harness heading back and the dome feed was just part of that harness.( so that's what's in my head)

This Jeep does not have that harness, so at some point it changed. More power options on the 84 probably.

I didn't make it out to my 80 either to look at it this weekend and compare. I do think the domes still work on that.

Comment

• Yeah, pretty sure all the wiring was on the floor, just the leads up the B to the dome.
                  Art

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 25, 2016

I LIKE THE STEERING STABILIZER.
                    love the Cherokee.

dave in NC
                    SOLSAKS - dave
                    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                    1982 J-10 Fleetside
                    1988 grand wagoneer
                    2004 RUBICON jeep
                    Benson, NC

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, pretty sure all the wiring was on the floor, just the leads up the B to the dome.

That's what I remember, Anything I removed, I kept. I just needed to know what colors. And what it looked like. I was just a pair of Dark Brown / Black vs what I thought I was looking for.

Now I just need to locate it.

goldhammer. Thank you for input. You are more help than you know!

SOLSAKS. Thanks. It's getting there.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 19, 2003

It's been a busy summer work wise. I havent done much to the jeep. Still needs to be welded on and such. Today I hopped into it and made a IAC adjustment on the sniper and drove it around for a bit. It's running pretty good. It was a good day to do that. Not many folks out walking in the middle of the streets like normal around here.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 19, 2003

It's been a busy summer work wise. I havent done much to the jeep. Still needs to be welded on and such. Today I hopped into it and made a IAC adjustment on the sniper and drove it around for a bit. It's running pretty good. It was a good day to do that. Not many folks out walking in the middle of the streets like normal around here.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                            350 Buick
                            • Aug 19, 2003

Back at it

I've started working on the Cherokee again. I installed the front bumper and winch.

Next I am removing the 6" springs in favor of a BDS 4" kit. Front is finished.

Tonight I removed the fuel tank to access the front spring nut.

I got the rear axle dropped and the drivers rear spring out. and called it quits tonight.

I'm replacing the stock tank with a unit I scored on craigslist

Comment

• I was going to put in a J truck spare tire area aux tank. Would have had to angle one corner to do it, and it fell by the way side. At least it will probably be easier to fuel up.

Replaced rear gear set once after it scattered on the way to work one morning. Replaced the L/R axle shaft. Had an old crack and finally let go. The guy I had do the gears at one time was the transmission and gear guy for May Trucking down in Brooks
                              Art

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

This has become my favorite picture on this thread. That grill, with that bumper, with those tires, with that lift, with those shocks, with that color... droooooool
                                Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
                                OH NO!!! Transfer case fell out!!!
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X