• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wap
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 09, 2012

GW noob, 1990 worth? and other ?s

This may get windy but bare with me please. My first vehicle was a 84 cj7, that I still own. Since then I have fell in love with all things jeep and have always wanted an FSJ. My wife and I were discussing another vehicle for here to drive on the ranch where we live and I mentioned a GW and she is all in. So the hunt started and I have found what may be our next ride.

Specs: 1990 GW, one owner, zero rust, 86,xxx miles, maroon color. The guy that owns it is a friend of mine's grand dad. They got it brand new in 1990 but it has sat in his barn for the last 2 years and prior to that didnt get driven much. We looked at it a couple days ago and all they did was put a battery in it and it fired up. I drove it a little but the valve stems were leaking so didnt go far. They have no sentimental attachment to it at all. And he left it up to me to come up with a "fair price". I really respect this guy and intend to do just that. The only reason they are getting rid of it is to free up space in his barn. I dont want to low ball him nor do I want to cut my own throat. The bad: the rear window does not work, there is a small rip in the rear seat, the headliner is gone, and the paint is not great but I am thinking it can be re cleared and be fine. Other than that it is in great shape cosmetically, maybe 8-9 out of 10 and like I said no rust. It is 100% bone stock, and never been altered or in a wreck.

Mechanically, it seems ok but it has sat so I imagine it will need AC work, new belts, hoses etc. So what is a fair price??

Secondly, though this is my first FSJ I am no stranger to turning wrenches and have some plans for what ever FSJ we get. My problem is: Is a jeep in this condition rare? I would hate to buy one of the few unmolested 90 GW's left (should that be the case) just to modifying and destroy the "collectors" value of it. I plan to either upgrade the motor's ignition and fuel deliver, or swap it out for a lsx, along with some other mods to make it more fun and fuel efficient. However if this is a once in a lifetime find, I can buy it, do what little needs done to restore it and sell it off to a person that would enjoy a stock jeep and not have committed some cardinal by destocking a perfectly good GW. Could this be the case or am in just in my own head too much?

Sorry for the long first post. While I have always had this disease for tinkering and all things jeep, I have suppressed for a while but now that my new bride is all in, I got nothing holding me back.
  • KC0GFG
    232 I6
    • Feb 25, 2012

im a J10 owner so my opinion on a wag may be invalid. but i doubt there as a cult based around GW's in stock form. in my opinion buy it drive it break it up grade what broke! if it aint broke dont fix it and such. if you need more clrarance add lift, if you want to drop it to the ground dont buy a jeep. if it is an original mechanicly sound condition offer blue book value - what ever needs to fixed right away (eg. new tires)

Comment

Originally posted by KC0GFG
      im a J10 owner so my opinion on a wag may be invalid. but i doubt there as a cult based around GW's in stock form. in my opinion buy it drive it break it up grade what broke! if it aint broke dont fix it and such. if you need more clrarance add lift, if you want to drop it to the ground dont buy a jeep. if it is an original mechanicly sound condition offer blue book value - what ever needs to fixed right away (eg. new tires)
      well there is a bit of a cult following for grand wags.that said if you by it do what you want to it.i would saty away from cutting it up myself but it is yours.
      85 gw 215k and still going
      castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
      89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

• Rich88
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by talntar
        well there is a bit of a cult following for grand wags.that said if you by it do what you want to it.i would saty away from cutting it up myself but it is yours.
        X2.....this place IS the cult!
        Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
        88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
        "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• austinaubinoe
          360 AMC
          • Aug 08, 2010

1990 grand wags aren't as rare as 1991 models, but they can still fetch a good price. I paid about 8k for mine and it was pretty much near mint with 124k miles. But its a 91 and the rare green. Yours is low miles and owned by the original owners, so it was probably pretty well taken care of. Dont let the failed clear fool you, ALL the 87-91 models with clear coat do that. But thats not a cheap fix if you want it done right.

Blows my mind they have no sentimental value on a truck like that though! Post some pictures and I could tell you what I would offer. I hate seeing ANY wagoneer get cut up, since there are so many that are cut up by rust already. My next one may get a small lift and get taken on more trail rides, but there is no reason why a clean body should get bashed to nothing.
          Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
          5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
          SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
          -1994 Baby Grand
          -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
          -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
          -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
          i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
          i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• ClovisMan
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 05, 2009

Without seeing pictures and since it hasn't rolled 100k yet, I'd say that 4 to 4.5 k would be a more than fair value.
            1988 Grand Wagoneer currently in pieces across the shop.

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
              350 Buick
              • Apr 23, 2011

Originally posted by ClovisMan
              Without seeing pictures and since it hasn't rolled 100k yet, I'd say that 4 to 4.5 k would be a more than fair value.
              x2. 4k sounds like a fair price to me
              Andy
              '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
              Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• HD_JEEP
                350 Buick
                • Oct 28, 2008

Ditto X2...

Originally posted by austinaubinoe
                1990 grand wags aren't as rare as 1991 models, but they can still fetch a good price. I paid about 8k for mine and it was pretty much near mint with 124k miles. But its a 91 and the rare green. Yours is low miles and owned by the original owners, so it was probably pretty well taken care of. Dont let the failed clear fool you, ALL the 87-91 models with clear coat do that. But thats not a cheap fix if you want it done right.

Blows my mind they have no sentimental value on a truck like that though! Post some pictures and I could tell you what I would offer. I hate seeing ANY wagoneer get cut up, since there are so many that are cut up by rust already. My next one may get a small lift and get taken on more trail rides, but there is no reason why a clean body should get bashed to nothing.
                Well stated X2...
                91 Grand Wagoneer "Final Edition"
                DeWooded
                6 inch Hellcreek lift.
                Rhino Grill
                BFGoodrich MT T/A KM2 33X10.5. R15
                Offenhauser Dual Port 360 Intake
                Holley 600cfm

If are not living on the Edge you are taking up to much room.
                ##########
                '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3172261

Comment

• wap
                  230 Tornado
                  • Aug 09, 2012

My wording must have come across wrong.

I dont want to cut the body.

I would like to however, update/upgrade the drivetrain to suite me. I have a LQ4 6.0 with 4l80e sitting here along with other various parts I have collected to use in other builds. I hate autos but my wife will drive this more then me so the 4l80 make sense. And would like to run 32-33" tires. I would like to keep the body and interior as stock and clean as possible. I would upgrade the axles too, probably just a locker and maybe change gears vs a full axle swap.

My main concern, other than what is it worth, is are "clean" waggys hard to come by? And should I just buy this, restore and sell vs "build".

I know in the end its my decision but if this was an all original GT50 in this condition I would know not too touch it, trouble is I dont yet know how to appreciate a stock GW.

Thanks for all the replies

Comment

• nc wagoneer
                    350 Buick
                    • May 08, 2012

Wow around here that would fetch 2500 to 3500. Yall may have rust free rigs out there but even our rust free ones are about the same price as all of em
                    old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
                    Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
                    "BROWED AND PROUD"
                    Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                    Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

• austinaubinoe
                      360 AMC
                      • Aug 08, 2010

If you have the means, repaint it and sell it. Does not sound like it needs to be totally torn down. Most people swap in modern drivetrains when the stock one is worn out. You could probably double your money on ebay with fresh paint and the interior fixed up.

Then go pick one up that does not run so good!
                      Austin

Others:
                      -1994 Baby Grand
                      -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                      -1955 Willys Pickup

Comment

• JAWs7227
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 02, 2009

3K-4K sounds about right, If it were me I'd probably just leave it alone, drive it like it is and enjoy it, but its yours to do with as you see fit. After all, like you said, its not a GT500, or a '67 big block Vette, I don't think you'd be commiting any mortal sin by swapping in a different drivetrain.

I would however hold on to all the original equipment, that way any potential future owner will be able to restore it to original if they want.
                        Jess

1976 J10, 360 2v, TH400, Q/T, 131"
                        1979 CJ-5, 258 2v, 3-spd - Sold
                        1992 XJ Laredo 2-Dr, 4.0L, Auto - Sold
                        1992 YJ Islander, 4.0L, Auto - Sold
                        1998 TJ Sahara, 4.0L, Auto - DD

Comment

• austinaubinoe
                          360 AMC
                          • Aug 08, 2010

Originally posted by JAWs7227
                          3K-4K sounds about right, If it were me I'd probably just leave it alone, drive it like it is and enjoy it, but its yours to do with as you see fit. After all, like you said, its not a GT500, or a '67 big block Vette, I don't think you'd be commiting any mortal sin by swapping in a different drivetrain.

I would however hold on to all the original equipment, that way any potential future owner will be able to restore it to original if they want.
                          or a 65 big block vette

I guess your right, but dont bother saving the drivetrain, the chances of it being brought back to stock after the 6.0 swap are slim to none.
                          Austin

Others:
                          -1994 Baby Grand
                          -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                          -1955 Willys Pickup

Comment

• wap
                            230 Tornado
                            • Aug 09, 2012

I know is largely opinion based but....

I havent decided exactly what my plans are for this GW. I will likely get but after that, time will tell. From a potential buyers stand point what would you guys (and gals) think if when it came time to rebuild the carb if guy installed EFI, and instead of a new rotor and coil switched to CDI or HEI ignition? Then down the road do a mild rebuild on the motor with a decent cam and what not?

I am trying to figure out, from a GW purist stand point, is it important to be 100% numbers matching OE original? Or is it more about having AMC power under the hood? I can say this, if it had the 401 under the hood and not the 360 I would no doubt be keeping it amc powered.

The way I see it I kind of have 3 options:
                            1. Get it, restore it, and learn to love a stock vehicle OR sell it to someone that may enjoy it more than me in that condition and start over with another.

2. Get get, restore it, and as things need to be replaced, upgrade as necessary/wanted like fuel delivery, ignition, maybe some discs in the rear, etc, and go ahead and throw a lift and some tires on it.

3. Get it, restore the interior/body, and as time and money allows do what most do with jeeps and modify everything on it but the body, update the motor, go with an OD trans, re gear, etc etc

Either way if we can agree on a price I will likely be getting it and be post up some pics when I do.

Thanks again for all the replies, looks like I am getting closer to a price for the fellow and closer to bringing home an FSJ.

Comment

• 81cherokee laredo
                              258 I6
                              • Jun 20, 2005

Im thinking that with the clear coat shot and no headliner the price should be closer to 3K. As for Upgrades Im in the it's your jeep, do what you want with it group. I personally don't see a problem with upgrading to a modern drive train or EFI, especially if it's for the wife to drive around. Sounds like you found a keeper. A bit of warning though, your full size jeep will get lonely and need other full size jeeps around.
                              Dan
                              81 Cherokee Laredo- 360 727 NP219 SOA/SF 35 Coopers 4.56 Gears
                              83 Cherokee - Katy- long term project
                              89 Grand Wagoneer- 360 727 NP229 31x10.50's on slot rims

Comment

Working...
                              X