• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Junkers456
    232 I6
    • Nov 30, 2020

Lift kit suggestions?

I would like something to give me a bit of a lift (big enough to run some beefier tires) and still ride like a dream. Suggestions?
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

contact national springs or deaver springs and have a custom set made.

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

Yep.

I think the only dream ride you can get from off the shelf kits is when you're asleep.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I have Rancho 4" springs on the front of mine (part number 44044) and they ride a little stiff for me. I also have a Monroe Gas-Magnum shocks (pretty soft) and a RockLaurence Front Shackle Reversal kit. I pulled one spring out of the front pack and that softened it up a tiny bit but my Cherk is no Grand Wagoneer; It's not a kidney killer by any means but I also would not call it "a dream".

In the back, I have what I think are stock springs with a 1" block. If you add a block in the back, the ride is basically the same but you get some clearance. My back end rides great.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Junkers456
          232 I6
          • Nov 30, 2020

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
          I have Rancho 4" springs on the front of mine (part number 44044) and they ride a little stiff for me. I also have a Monroe Gas-Magnum shocks (pretty soft) and a RockLaurence Front Shackle Reversal kit. I pulled one spring out of the front pack and that softened it up a tiny bit but my Cherk is no Grand Wagoneer; It's not a kidney killer by any means but I also would not call it "a dream".

In the back, I have what I think are stock springs with a 1" block. If you add a block in the back, the ride is basically the same but you get some clearance. My back end rides great.
          Are KYBs any good? They have some gas-a-justs that I have been looking at.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

I have run gas-a-just on some of my other rides and really liked them. They are good shocks but a little firm if you want a cloud-like ride.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• posulli88
              258 I6
              • Dec 18, 2016

I just installed a BJ's 2.5" lift with bilstein shocks on my J10 and it rides so much better then my worn out stock suspension. They are Deaver springs so good quality there. Its currently 4" above what I was but I've only had it on for a week so it will settle. My old suspension was also sitting low. The below photo has 31's on there (what I had before the lift) I could probably fit 33's definitely 32's. I have only driven it a couple times so can report back down the road.

77' J10 w/ 360, T18, Dana 20 TC

Comment

• Junkers456
                232 I6
                • Nov 30, 2020

Originally posted by posulli88
                I just installed a BJ's 2.5" lift with bilstein shocks on my J10 and it rides so much better then my worn out stock suspension. They are Deaver springs so good quality there. Its currently 4" above what I was but I've only had it on for a week so it will settle. My old suspension was also sitting low. The below photo has 31's on there (what I had before the lift) I could probably fit 33's definitely 32's. I have only driven it a couple times so can report back down the road.

I'm going to assume those are the B6 4600's you are talking about from Bistein... whats the ride like on those?

Comment

• MysticRob
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 26, 2019

I've read good things about the Deaver springs that BJ's sells for their 2.5" lift kits, so if I eventually raise mine from stock height that's what I'll use with 31" tires.

I'm not one to really enjoy having to climb in and out of my vehicles, and figure a 4" or more lift is just too much. Factoring in the added weight/sluggishness and stopping distance of larger 33" or so tires doesn't sound like something I want to deal with either.
                  --Rob--
                  1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                  https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                  https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• posulli88
                    258 I6
                    • Dec 18, 2016

Originally posted by Junkers456
                    I'm going to assume those are the B6 4600's you are talking about from Bistein... whats the ride like on those?
                    I purchased the Bilstein 5125 with 2.5" Deaver BJ lift. So far the ride is perfect for me. Not too soft where it feels sloppy but the perfect amount of give to make the ride feel super comfortable and under control. Bumps that used to rattle my teeth are hardly felt now. At least with the hand full of drives Ive had on them. Ill try to report back when I have more seat time.
                    77' J10 w/ 360, T18, Dana 20 TC

Comment

• Be from Be
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 27, 2017

I have the Skyjacker 4" lift kit, and was a bit disappointed about the harsh ride. Although after a while it smooths out somewhat, it is nowhere near the ride of the stock springs.
                      1978 Cherokee Chief
                      360 V8 Automatic
                      Quadra Trac w/ Mile Marker conversion
                      4" Skyjacker

Comment

• Bc409
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 21, 2019

I have the bjs 4 inch all spring lift and ranch 5000s. Not harsh but much firmer than stock. Rides like a typical 4x4 from the 70s.these waggys were designed to ride much more car like than other 4x4s of the era

Comment

Working...
                        X