• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Webb
    232 I6
    • Aug 23, 2005

I need help - NP208 problem in Ohio

I have an np208 that was popping out of 4low in reverse and leaking. Today I replaced the bearings and seals and everything looked good. Now it pops of 4low in forward and reverse. I need help. I don't know what to do next. If someone is local and offer assistance I can try to offer some compensation or something I just need help before I shoot myself and the Jeep. I'm open to anything that gets the tranfercase working. Please oh please help me.

Something else that may help is if I can borrow a np208 that is known to work. Then I can see if it's my linkage or my transfercase.

Jim Webb
    Columbus, Ohio
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Jim Webb; 08-28-2008, 04:24 AM.
    1987 Grand Wagoneer - 6" BJ's Offroad Lift kit, NP208 swap.
  • johnwaynejeep2

E-mail sent

Comment

• Jim Webb
      232 I6
      • Aug 23, 2005

BTT

Comment

• yankeedog
        304 AMC
        • Mar 14, 2007

Are you sure it isnt that lousy vacuum shifter thingamabob?I pitched mine and made up a linkage out of flat stock.works .maybe you can get under there and engage it manually without the vacuum motor connected .this will give you an idea if you are barking up the wrong tree ,might not be the xfer case at all might be the linkage.Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Jim Webb
          232 I6
          • Aug 23, 2005

I removed the np229 and swapped in a np208 which doesn't use any vacuum.

Jim

Originally posted by yankeedog
          Are you sure it isnt that lousy vacuum shifter thingamabob?I pitched mine and made up a linkage out of flat stock.works .maybe you can get under there and engage it manually without the vacuum motor connected .this will give you an idea if you are barking up the wrong tree ,might not be the xfer case at all might be the linkage.Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Jim Webb
            232 I6
            • Aug 23, 2005

Everything I've read on the tinternet mentions adjusting the shift linkage. I've switched my shifter to the manual transmission type that mounts on the transmission tunnel. If you look at the attached picture I'm not sure what I can adjust.

So this brings me to another questions. Is the shifter and linkage responsible for simply shifting the transfer case or shifting and holding the transfer case in gear?

Jim Webb

Comment

• Jim Webb
              232 I6
              • Aug 23, 2005

BTT

Comment

The shifter only shifts the case but it has to move the lever completely. If it is not moving the t/c lever far enough, it will pop out.

In the picture there are two holes in the shifter for the rod to attach to, are you in the lowest hole?
                Last edited by Chevelleguy; 09-02-2008, 08:45 AM.
                David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Jim Blair
                  258 I6
                  • Mar 12, 2002

If you put a body lift in, the rod won't be long enough to move all the way to low range to lock it in. Sloppy trans/motormounts will also affect it. The plastic shift fork sliders can get bent and not keep it in low range too.
                  My current for sale ad:
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=129618

Comment

• Jim Webb
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 23, 2005

Originally posted by Chevelleguy
                    In the picture there are two holes in the shifter for the rod to attach to, are you in the lowest hole?
                    Yes.

Comment

• Jim Webb
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 23, 2005

Originally posted by Jim Blair
                      If you put a body lift in, the rod won't be long enough to move all the way to low range to lock it in. Sloppy trans/motormounts will also affect it. The plastic shift fork sliders can get bent and not keep it in low range too.
                      No body lift. New trans mount. And the plastic shift for pads have been replaced.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Webb
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 23, 2005

BTT

Comment

• billyrb
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          • Aug 15, 2001

I'm voting linkage as well. Can you get any pics of the linkage from underneath? Also, did you replace the shift forks inside?
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          [email protected]
                          Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Jim Webb
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 23, 2005

Originally posted by billyrb
                            I'm voting linkage as well. Can you get any pics of the linkage from underneath? Also, did you replace the shift forks inside?
                            I did not replace the shift forks, just the shift fork pads. Also if I put the Jeep in 4low and disconnect the linkage it still pops out of low range. This leads me to believe it's not the linkage.

Jim

Comment

The 208 I have in the shed has a very positive detent when shifting. It would definitely hold itself in gear.
                              David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                              83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                              10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

Working...
                              X