International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Diesel Swaps (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   It followed me home, (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=185475)

scout4bta 07-26-2020 05:27 PM

Changing out the Turbocharger

Changing out the turbocharger

scout4bta 08-07-2020 10:22 AM

Update: thermostat housing selection.

scout4bta 08-27-2020 10:19 AM

Update: Fabricating the turbo drain.

scout4bta 10-02-2020 08:25 AM

Revised Turbo Drain and first mock up of engine mounts.

scout4bta 11-21-2020 09:36 PM

Unfortunately any further Wagoneer upgrades are going to have to wait, probably until the end of next March. The wife's Jeep Liberty suspension parts were 2 months late, the CVPI had a unfortunate accident which I'm in the middle of fixing so her jeep didn't get it's fix. And the wife is in her 4th of 12 courses of chemo which is taking a toll on her. Were having to spend every other week at the clinic 80 miles from home for the chemo sessions. They have a guest house were staying at, it's nice but it's not home.
The Wagoneer will get done only later.

xjranger2003 11-29-2020 05:27 AM

Sorry to hear about your wife. I'll pray for you both.

scout4bta 11-29-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjranger2003
Sorry to hear about your wife. I'll pray for you both.

Thank you.
My wife is doing good, she's a fighter.

Mikel 12-25-2020 06:32 PM

Glad to hear she's doing better.

scout4bta 12-29-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikel
Glad to hear she's doing better.

Thank you!
The other good news because of the holiday's she gets a 3 week reprieve from the chemo cycles.

scout4bta 02-15-2021 11:18 AM

Update: T case problem.

Tigger4X 03-12-2021 08:18 PM

SUBSCRIBED :cool:

Many 🙏🏻🙏🏻 for your wife and yourself as well!

scout4bta 03-13-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigger4X
SUBSCRIBED :cool:

Many �������� for your wife and yourself as well!

Thanks.
Good news! MY wife has been declared Cancer free (for now) and soon (very soon) I'll be pulling the GW into the shop.

SJTD 03-13-2021 11:28 AM

Great news! Glad to hear it.

Tigger4X 03-13-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scout4bta
Thanks.
Good news! MY wife has been declared Cancer free (for now) and soon (very soon) I'll be pulling the GW into the shop.

That is HUGE! PTL!! He is good, all the time! Will keep praying :thumbsup:

Looking forward to your updates on the GW :fsj:

scout4bta 04-16-2021 08:15 AM

Progress!
Found a "free" pic posting site, will see how this works: https://postimg.cc.

The swap is on.
Attached the trans to the engine for a preliminary look see. When the bolts that attach the flex plate to the crankshaft arrive I'll assemble the trans to the engine again, start it up and run it to completely fill the trans and run it thru the gears to make sure it works. What could go wrong?

Looks like the trans dip stick might me in the way of the exhaust. I'm trying to keep the engine as close to the firewall as possibly. Jegs makes a 30" flexible dip stick that could replace the factory one. And there is the HVAC box on the firewall that might be in the way.

Tigger4X 04-16-2021 07:02 PM

Man that is looking really good :thumbsup:

Is that trans an OD unit? The set up on my truck is sorely lacking and I'm having one heckuva time finding a way to get my divorced US Gear OD to engage; the control module and switch are gone. An OD trans would make a world of difference over the T-18.

Pardon the :o question, but the Atlas isn't in the pic, right? I couldn't afford one so I'd have to find a t-case that works with the OD trans. Trying to find an NV4500 much less an NV5600 and a t-case is either a kidney and a half or nonexistent.

All in all, my rambling done, I am green with envy and can't wait to see how it comes along! Have a great weekend!

scout4bta 04-16-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigger4X
Man that is looking really good :thumbsup:
Is that trans an OD unit? (edit..) An OD trans would make a world of difference over the T-18.
Pardon the :o question, but the Atlas isn't in the pic, right? I couldn't afford one so I'd have to find a t-case that works with the OD trans. Trying to find an NV4500 much less an NV5600 and a t-case is either a kidney and a half or nonexistent.
All in all, my rambling done, I am green with envy and can't wait to see how it comes along! Have a great weekend!

It's a A518/46RH from a 92 Dodge Diesel, has an OD but it doesn't have a lock up torque converter.
The Atlas T case is just out of the picture on the Left.
When I do the run in I plan on attaching the Atlas. Will probably need a support to keep if from tipping.

scout4bta 04-21-2021 05:38 PM

One of my objectives is to mount the engine as high as possible so as to use the least amount of spring lift to clear the front axle. I'd milled the heater grid down as far as I could to make that happen. Then I noticed that the air horn on my 91.5 Dodge W250 sits lower (3/4") than the froward facing air horn that came with the 4BT. Only problem is now the heater grid now sets too low for the new air horn. No problem I'll just weld the cut off piece on to the the new air horn.
Only 3rd time using the mig spool gun. Ugly welds. So the engine can sit 1/2" higher.

scout4bta 04-22-2021 08:53 PM

Upgraded the alternator with a internal voltage regulator, 1N8315 from Apswholesale.com
This alt is from Dodge/Cummins Diesel which is controlled by a ECU. No ECU on this Wagon.
Once in the wagon connect switched voltage to the orange wire and I'm in business.

scout4bta 05-01-2021 05:37 PM

Electrical problems. Need a connector for the OD solenoid. Don't have salvage yards within 2 hrs drive so that's out.
No luck on finding a pigtail on the internet. Least not at a reasonable price. P.A.C.T. sells one for $49.00 plus shipping. I am not going to spend that much on one. Persuaded my wife to help in the internet search. She's and expert at researching, Nothing.
Plan 2, bought one (echlin EC11) that looked close enough and modified it to fit. This is just the prototype.

The fun part will be making it weatherproof.