Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Kansas City

Testing...

My first post after joining last year. I finally decided to take the time to figure this photo thing out!

'79 Cherokee Chief S
    '89 Comanche Pioneer (sold)
    '99 Cherokee Limited (sons)
    '22 Grand Wagoneer

Here are a few more pics. The last one is where I started to investigate why the window motor went out and the tailgate not shutting properly. That's my winter project! I'll talk and post pics of that issue later. We love driving this thing! I love the originality of it. The exterior has been repainted but everything inside is original down to the floor mats! Look closely and you can see the AMC logo embossed in the middle of them. The carpet has faded but everything else seems good. I am missing a couple knobs, trying to find a new dome lens and another wheel center. Someone stole the drivers front so I found one off an 80's wagon that works for now. My goal is to keep it as stock as I can but still get the enjoyment out of it. Looking forward to posting for help on the tailgate. Thanks in advance for your help!

'79 Cherokee Chief S
    '22 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Holy goodlookin!!! Welcome! You are the only other person I have seen on here that had the same seats/colors as my cherk did and they are not torn!

it looks amazing!

Does the window not go up and down both from the key AND the dash switch?
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy) https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/frown.png
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif
      00 Baby Cherokee https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...es/redface.png

Comment

Thank you! Didn't they say that beauty is only skin deep? Well...There isn't cancer all over but there is in a few key spots, namely where it involves the tailgate. The last couple of pictures show where the body sits on the body mounts. Or is supposed to at least. The frame seems solid but the key piece is the portion of the the body that mounts to the frame. Is this a common problem?

'79 Cherokee Chief S
        '22 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Holy moly. There's another fsj in Kansas City! I'm in the northland.

Comment

Yep, very common to have rust there.

Now that you have the access panel open reach over to the driver side of it and make sure the safety switch is still hooked up (they come loose sometimes and prevent the window from moving from either the key or the dash switch. That is about the only thing (other than a blown fuse, bad motor, or bad wires) that will prevent the tailgate from working.
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy) https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/frown.png
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif
            00 Baby Cherokee https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...es/redface.png

Comment

Took dash cluster out, cleaned/repaired and reinstalled.

Blower motor works 1000% better, as we took the blower switch apart, cleaned, then reassembled before installing back on the cluster.

Prior to cleaning, the blower motor would barely run. Now it is blowing stuff out of the vents that has been in there for years.

Point is, pull your switches (dash and tailgate), take them apart and clean the contacts, then reassemble and try the rear window motor again.

If still not working, do the same with the lift motor, as a good cleaning will probably net you better results, than replacing with a new one.
              '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

good looking cherokee,....welcome. dave in NC
                SOLSAKS - dave
                1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                1988 grand wagoneer
                2004 RUBICON jeep
                Benson, NC

Comment

Welcome

Nice Wagon

1st) '74 Wagoneer tan, caught fire several times, swapped to hub lockers, fixed transfer case
                  2nd) '86 blue Grand Wagoneer, started a lift, got divorced tried to keep her around but had to sell her in the end. {the Wagon not the Ex, I wish)
                  3rd through 5th) parts waggys
                  Present) '87 Grand Wagoneer, blue all original. and no rust!

Comment

It turns out the piece on the body the hinges are secured to rotates when you open the tailgate. You are able to see the difference on one of the pics above. That offset didn't let the tailgate align properly which burned the motor. The tailgate switch on the dash is broken and has never worked. My goal was to replace the motor, rubbers and switch until I found the body issue which needs to be corrected first. Problem is it is now winter and the car is in storage unless I grab it for the weekend. Not sure why the wife wants a warm car in the morning...
                    '79 Cherokee Chief S
                    '22 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Originally posted by inkedmonkey
                      Holy moly. There's another fsj in Kansas City! I'm in the northland.
                      Awesome! My neighbor has an 86 he is customizing and I see another couple driving around. I'm in Mission and have to see your project sometime. I saw your build thread. Amazing work!
                      '79 Cherokee Chief S
                      '22 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                      X