No announcement yet.

What Octane do you run in your rigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here at 7000 feet the choice is usually 85 or 86.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Forgive me for being a newbee... Am I missing something about "winter storage"? My main reasons for getting a waggy was for snow and summer surf fishing. Do you guys put them away in the winter?
      '88 GW 360 V8, Almost stock (locking hubs and electric fuel pump)
      Was it an omen that my '88 GW broke down 2 miles after the purchase and the tow truck broke down bringing it to my house?

Comment

87 because it really doesn't run any better on 89 or 91. I've never been able to make that engine ping. EVER. No matter what I do to it.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

87 octane in a 78 Cherokee

I run the 87 octane reformulated (10% ethanol) in the 78 Cherokee with a stock 91,XXX mile 401 V8. Gas gauge doesn't work so I plan on 10 mpg. Turn out the ol gal gets 12 mpg with that reformulated crap. She purrs like a kitten and has good throttle response so I'm stickin with the cheap stuff
          Ripper

Comment

Originally posted by FSJunkie
            87 because it really doesn't run any better on 89 or 91. I've never been able to make that engine ping. EVER. No matter what I do to it.
            Obviously you're just not trying hard enough.
            Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
            88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
            "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
              I run 85 octane here in Denver and the best I've done is 15.7 on I-70 en route to Ouray this past summer. No smoke, no stumble. Stock 360 with stock 2 barrel Motorcraft carb.
              On the few coast-to-coast speed runs I made in an FSJ, I looked forward to 85/86 available only in the west/midwest. Best mileage I ever got. Wish they had it everywhere.
              88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...

Comment

Our rigs where intended to use the lowest octane available in your neighborhood, that is why we don't have 85 or 93 here in west texas. 85 is only available in higher altitudes (less oxygen to mix) and 93 is at sea level. The lowest octane runs the best on all my rigs.

I recommend: run the cheapest gas the the cheapest spark plugs.
                '85 Grand Wagoneer "Caterpillar"
                401, NV4500, 3/4 ton gear

'79 Cherokee "The Sandgorgon"
                One Tons, SOA,T18 on 40's

78 J10 "Imoteb"
                J20 running gear and axles

Comment

Originally posted by nclugnut
                  I run 87 in mine. Its a stock engine with a low comp. ratio so no need for anything more
                  Exactly. With an 8.25:1 CR motor there is no need for anything higher, prolly run fine on somewhat less. If someones stock 360 needs premium fuel to fight pinging(pinking for you Brits) ya need to tune/fix what's wrong rather than bandaiding it with higher octane.
                  joe
                  "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

In my 77 Cherokee with 360 2100MC I run a ratio of 10 gallons of 93 and 2 gallons of 101 racing fuel. It runs great and better gas milage but the power is pretty Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley good!
                    Give a man a fish he will eat for a day unless it's a really big fish but, teach him to fish and he will drink beer all day!
                    1977 Jeep Cherokee wide trac 2nd owner 88,981 miles
                    2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by CasualGourmet
                      In my 77 Cherokee with 360 2100MC I run a ratio of 10 gallons of 93 and 2 gallons of 101 racing fuel. It runs great and better gas milage but the power is pretty Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley good!
                      Sorry to hear that. You really should try to fix what's wrong. (see previous posts) If you require hi octane to get it to run decent, you're really compensating for a timing or fuel ratio problem....and paying....and paying...and paying....

Comment

Originally posted by Wackyneer
                        My main reasons for getting a waggy was for snow and summer surf fishing. Do you guys put them away in the winter?
                        I do put mine away for the winter, the salt on the winter roads here would eat a GW quick.

Comment

Only 95 and 98 available here (in Norway), so I obviously use 95 on the 87 GW.
                          1987 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360
                          2008 VW Touran

Comment

Originally posted by The Colonel
                            I do put mine away for the winter, the salt on the winter roads here would eat a GW quick.
                            Ditto here... I want my son to be driving the GW some day. the liquid calcium tetra-something-or-other they use on the roads now eat vehicles alive. Never mind a classic...

Answer to the poll was 93. That's what the engine builder recommended b/c of increased compression, block decking, head work. I do what Im told for the GW although with the highest prices in the nation I am not too happy about it!
                            87 GW
                            4" Skyjacker; 31x10.5 Goodyear MTR
                            Rebuilt 360:
                            .040 over, crank polished, block decked, 3 angle valve job, Edelbrock Performer intake, cam, carb (650); shorty headers

Comment

Originally posted by Rich88
                              Obviously you're just not trying hard enough.
                              At my altitude, I would hit the point of massive power loss and misfires before I got detonation. Still hammers the heck out of the combustion chambers.

Since I wrote that post, I did get it to ping once at low altitude on a hot, dry day back when I was a fool and thought running 45* total @ 2000 RPM was a good idea. Lost power, ran hot, fought the starter, just a pissed off engine.

I've been timed to stock ever since. It actually hates high octane gas now. I run Shell, Chevron, or Conoco 87 AKI regular. Our gas is E0 in summer, E10 in winter.

My engine is 8.5 comp, BTW

The 8.0 compression 232 doesn't seem to care what it runs, so it gets the same gas the Jeep does.

The 9.7 compression 327's are picky. I put the highest AKI pump gas I can get in them, usually 91 or 93. It's not hard to make a 327 ping. Get them just a little lean and hot at low altitude and you'll find out.
                              Last edited by FSJunkie; 03-20-2014, 09:46 PM.
                              '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                                Since I wrote that post, I did get it to ping once at low altitude on a hot, dry day back when I was a fool and thought running 45* total @ 2000 RPM was a good idea. Lost power, ran hot, fought the starter, just a pissed off engine.

I've been timed to stock ever since. It actually hates high octane gas now. I run Shell, Chevron, or Conoco 87 AKI regular. Our gas is E0 in summer, E10 in winter.
                                I had a similar situation and ran 91 for the longest time. It was because after I installed my Xtreme Energy cam, I set my base timing for the smoothest idle (highest vacuum) and then reduced my mechanical advance to compensate. It would still ping on hot days, and even though it had awesome off-idle torque, it ran out of steam quick. What a boob.

But yeah... 87 it is. I need to change my vote.
                                Rob
                                1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                                Click for video

Comment

Working...
                                X