Windshield wiper issues and no cruise control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield wiper issues and no cruise control

Trying to get this rig back to 100% and have two more issues. Cruise control does not work...and my windshield wipers will only work on high (and do not "park"). The rig came to me with the cruise unhooked (no vacuum lines connected). I attached a vacuum line to it...and hope that I did it correctly. Is it one line connected? Also have been told that a wiper that only works on high and doesn't park is usually an issue with the motor.

I have searched...but am not finding what I am looking for. Are there tests I can do to determine if the issue is in the turn signal stalk, connecting wiring, or the devices themselves???
    '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
    '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
    '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
    '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Doubt your motor is causing this issue. On my Jeep, I was told to remove the intermittent wiper module and this fixed my parking and wiper issues. This module is up under the a/c air vent below the steering wheel.

As far as your cruise in concerned you need to verify that all connections are correct and then go from there. There is also a cruise control module near the floor at the center hump under the dash. Should be yellow if it's like mine.
    1989 GW-Resto Project
    My "Labor of Love"

Comment

Well, I believe my cruise connections are all in place. But, I am not 100% certain. The carb is connected, the yellow "brain box" is connected, the piece in line with the speedo cable is connected, and the tan vacuum cylinder is connected via a vacuum line (only one???). Where can I find the connections for an '88 GW?

As far as the wiper set, I know there was a test I did to my heater blower motor, where I connected a multimeter and measured the voltage at various settings to ensure the switch was working... Anything like that I can do for the wipers?

Comment

If I were you I would skip the motor test and simply unplug the intermittent wiper module first. Then if your wipers work correctly (98% chance they will) you can either hunt down a known working module or leave it disconnected. These are prone to burning out over time causing the symptoms that you described.

However, if you really want to test the motor there was an excellent write-up on this site one time that explained the pin-outs on the motor and what voltage they should have depending on the wiper position.Try a search for "wiper module" or "intermittent wiper". I did this last year while I was troubleshooting my wipers. After going through all of this trouble someone chimed in and told me to simply disconnect my module. After doing this my problems disappeared. I found a good used one on this site by posting in the "Wanted" section. Good luck to you and let us know what you find out.
        1989 GW-Resto Project
        My "Labor of Love"

Comment

Cool...will try that. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X