How do I remove the cowl vent cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove the cowl vent cover

I need to remove the cowl vent grill to clean all the debris out of it. I also need to replace the windshield washer nozzle. I have removed all the screws, but can't get the grill off. What's the secret?
    CD aka "The Ole Fart"
    1974 J-10 Pioneer (project)

Ummmmm Got a picture?

It has been a while since I removed mine, wre there screws under the hood seal?
    Regards,
    Artisan
    1979 Jeep J-10 (Soon to be J-30)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Comment

Several screws and it pops off. IIRC, the hood has to be open to remove the screws. But it sounds like you already know that. Given your location, the cowl cover may be a bit rusted to the rest of the body. Give it a whack with a rubber mallet and see what happens.
      Ethan Brady
      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

The cowl is easy, wait until you mess with the e-brake and the vent flaps.
        \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

Yep, I just did this recently since mine was parked underneath a pine tree. Remove screws and pull forward while lifting. Like FSJ Guy said it could need some "gentle persuasion" to release it. Mine did as well. I simply had to push down on the cowl towards the windshield while pulling forward.

My tip to you is to take a picture of how your nozzles were mounted before taking them off. I forgot to do this, removed my cowl, and then couldn't figure out how to install my new nozzles. I had to go to wagoneerworld and other sites to see how theirs were mounted.
          1989 GW-Resto Project
          My "Labor of Love"

Comment

If you have the single nozzle in the middle, that has a retaining nut that comes off from below, in the engine bay.
            Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
            69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
            68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
            68 Impala wagon 327/400
            73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
            04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
            73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

My nozzle looks like a Tee.
              Thanks guys, I'll try to get it off today.
              CD aka "The Ole Fart"
              1974 J-10 Pioneer (project)

Comment

While you have it off, put some black window screen under the cowl cover.
                To keep the debris out.
                1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
                Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
                Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
                Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

Working...
                X