Dana 20 with q-trac rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 20 with q-trac rear axle

Have we ever come to a consensus as to whether a t-case with a centered rear output will work with an offset q-trac rear axle? By work, I mean run vibration free at 70 mph.

Hey Porkchop, before you started running your Dana 18. Did you try the Dana 20?
    \'73 AMX Javelin 401 (work in progress), \'77 WT Cherokee.

Yes it will. The D20 was put in front of offset rear axles anyhow, so driveshaft would clear gas tank. Same as the Q-Trac.
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
      Yes it will. The D20 was put in front of offset rear axles anyhow, so driveshaft would clear gas tank. Same as the Q-Trac. <hr></blockquote>

Well, I've looked at two dana 20 setups from the factory and yes the diff is offset to allow the drive shaft to clear the gas tank. However, the offset is only about half that used on a q-trac.

Comment

Hey Dave_S, check out this page...
        J20 Project
        'Bout halfway down there is a pic of the QT driveshaft. After looking under my truck, I have to agree that the angle will be better with a D20. Actually moreso than on a truck since the wheelbase is shorter...

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: Langdon ]</p>
        Langdon
        Gone but not forgotten:
        '79 Model 17 "Cherokee S" 360/TH400/BW1339/44,44/3.51

'80 Model 17 "Cherokee S" 305 Vortec FI/4L60E/241C/44,20/3.73

Comment

That's one great job you guys are doing! I was amazed by that sequence of pictures.

Dave

Comment

It should be just fine and if you use new u-joints that will really help on the vibration.
            41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick

Comment

I am running a D20 now and I had to lower the wag by two inches so the angles would not be so bad. Before I was having a problem running above 70 due to vibs and t-case problems. Now I can get over 75 easy with no vibs. So it can be done as long as your shaft is not over 15 degrees. Mine was at about 20-22 before. I had to have a drive shaft shortened that I had in the garage. It was from a 1 ton truck. had new u-joints put in. It was fine for awhile but the new joints didn't last long at all, three months max, so I lowered it. I haven't done much driving since then, but it seems fine from what I have done so far. I will do more driving when I get back to AZ. and let you know how it goes.

Comment

My tranny is now in my garage.. getting ready to do the QT (sold already) to D20 swap (rebuild and tailshaft swap)... I will be adding a CV to the rear shaft. I will let you know how it goes...I'm a bit higher than porkchop, so I hope the CV will help these issues out a bit more...
                Todd
                www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
                X