Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

327 Vigi woes: I Feel that my Y pipe is a dyin'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 327 Vigi woes: I Feel that my Y pipe is a dyin'...

(Adapted into the early '70s hit Dreidle...)

As the viscera rots and reveals....
    I'm hearing a roaring and a blatting'
    As I listen to my V8 peals...
    And I feel that the cops are a-waitin'
    To confiscate my winter wheels...

Ah well... I suck as a poet, and I know it. But the condition remains.

Fact: The "Y" pipe for a 327 Vigi is "irregular" in nature.
    Fact?: Nobody has one in stock for my particlular vehicle. (Face it, folks; I have to call my Wag a J Truck or Gladiator to get anywhere with the idiot software that most parts store 'puters have... )

OK I'll make it succinct as a question: Is there such a perverse "Y" pipe (or should I call it a "why" pipe?) still available that will reliably fit this machine? Or do I need to consult the "Old Wizard With the Pipe Bending Machine...?

I remain thus far undecided....un--...ummm... Whatever... My money is on the pipe bender just the same....

I hate Winter.
    Last edited by drlocke; 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM.

I highly doubt it, but if you get stuck or its crazy $$ to get one made, I have a spare..not pulled, still on engine under a PILE of parts.

welcome back
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Just get one made. A GOOD muffler shop should have no trouble making one and it should not be all that expensive. Either take the vehicle in and let them bend it to fit or give them the old one as an example (if there's enough of it left ).

aa
      1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

I agree... the shop in my town would make one for $50 or so at the most. Heck, they welded up my Y pipe after I had to cut it and ran me a whole new system out the back for $100... I bet a factory made Y pipe, if one was available, would be more than that.
        Paul
        1979 Cherokee N/T
        360/TH400/Qtrac/D44s/rear Lock-right
        6 inch Hell Creek all spring lift
        34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
        http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1394.jpg
        http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1390.jpg
        http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_1387-2.jpg

Comment

What Anthony said!

Around here at least, muffler shops will fab it up for you pretty cheap; that's what I'd do.
          Rob
          1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
          Click for video

Comment

I agree with the above just go get one bent. If anyone at all still made one it would probably be by Walker but I really doubt they do.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

I thought for some reason you were talking about the front x-over pipe. yeah a rear one shouldn't be any big deal.
              The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

You should be able to get one made cheap at the right shop. I had a guy when I lived in MI that did all of my cars for $150 complete from the manifolds to the back, single, duals, exit where I wanted, didn't matter, was always $150.
                Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

Originally posted by Gambler68
                  I thought for some reason you were talking about the front x-over pipe. yeah a rear one shouldn't be any big deal.
                  Now I remember seeing a joint midway alongside the right bank! Yeah, I'm gonna need it all, but with that second piece it shouldn't be too hard to make up.

I'm going to take it back to the place that did the muffler and tailpipe before.

Thanks for the counsel, folks!

Comment

I had a new muffler welded in about 2 years ago and they said they could run dual pipes from the exhaust manifolds out the back with mufflers for about 250$ Any good shop can do what you need for pretty reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by drlocke
                      Now I remember seeing a joint midway alongside the right bank! Yeah, I'm gonna need it all, but with that second piece it shouldn't be too hard to make up.

I'm going to take it back to the place that did the muffler and tailpipe before.

Thanks for the counsel, folks!
                      to be honest, I havent looked at mine, but why is it even needed? It gets HOT and really adds alot of heat to the front of the engine, hazardous when you have a leaky gas pump like mine does (re: front exhaust x-over).
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                      X