Rear Gas Tank Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Gas Tank Options

Since my stock tank has sprung a leak, and is in the way of my new drive train, I have been doing some research on a rear mount tank. One of my goals is increasing my fuel capacity. 20 gallons doesn't go very far.

Another goal is to keep it as tucked up as reasonable. I have a receiver hitch on the Cherokee, so that buys me quite a bit of depth. I measured 13" from the bottom of the floor to the bottom of the hitch.

Lastly, since I have swapped in a fuel injected engine, I want a tank designed for fuel injected applications. No need to reinvent the wheel if the OEMs have already made it work.

I've seen RivereBeast's Bronco tank setup, and intended on doing it that way. The only problem is the tank is nearly 16" deep. That a little lower than I want to go. So I spent a few hours searching on ebay for a shallower tank.

The first tank I am considering is from a late 80's P series van. Specs:
    US Gallon: 40.0
    Size: 35" x 28 3/4" x 13 1/8"

What I like about this tank is there is a vent tube on the tank right next to the fill tube. And with both at the rear of the tank, it should be very easy to plumb into the fuel fill of the Cherokee. The only thing that concerns me is the 35" width. I am sure this includes the flanges, but I am not certain the tank will fit between the rails. But at 13" thick, it shouldn't hang down more than an inch or so below the hitch.

The second tank that I came across is from a '92-'96 Suburban. Specs:
    Gallons: 42
    Dimensions: 29 3/4 x 33 1/2 x 13 1/8

To me this is a winner. It is longer than it is wide, should fit between the rails pretty easy, is the same depth as the P van tank, and is 42 gallons. The two things I don't like are the angled fill tube, and the lack of a vent tube on the tank. I assume the vent tube is part of the sending unit.

Before I order up this tank, anyone have any words of wisdom?
    Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
    Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
    Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

please keep this updated. I am very interested in doind something similar.
    1991 Grand Wag "The Phoenix!" IS back from the ashes!!!
    My Yahoo
    BJ's 6" lift
    Holley Truck Avenger 670CFM
    Mickey Thompson Wheels
    Dick Cepeck FC-II
    Killer 32 Nurf Bars
    Comp Cam 260H
    MSD Distributor, Coil and Controller
    Edlebrock Headers
    Dual Exhaust 2 Flowmaster 50's

Comment

I am watching this thread closely. Please keep us updated as the tank that you feel is the best tank would really be something if you could make it fit. I am also in the process of adding a new tank and was looking at many options.
      88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
      89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
      2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
      1. TBI
      2. New fuel tank
      3. AW-4 Transmission
      4. Aluminum condensor
      5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

Oh, what a joy it would be to have a practical cruising range of more than 180 miles! I too would like to see what can be done - I'm not lifting mine so the options seem limited.

Comment

1981 J-10 LAREDO
          DANA 44/4.10 - 14 BOLT 4.10 DETROIT LOCKER
          DANA 300
          SOA /35 MUD TERRAIN

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/c...cho/?start=all

Comment

pics 2

1981 J-10 LAREDO
            DANA 44/4.10 - 14 BOLT 4.10 DETROIT LOCKER
            DANA 300
            SOA /35 MUD TERRAIN

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/c...cho/?start=all

Comment

Don't know what ya'll are cmplainin 'bout. My main tank holds 33 gallons, so I went with a 20 gallon auxilary tank. Imagine me putting that 42 gallon buban tank in my waggy. That'd be 75 gallons At 10mpg, I go 530 miles now, but with that 42 gallon tank....750 miles on a fillup would be pretty cool
              '85 Grand Waggy 360/727/NP229 33X12.5R15 2inch susp lift with 2inch body lift.(wife's DD)
              '86 Grand Waggy all stock with custom sagging springs
              '85 Baby Cherokee 2.5L(my new DD)
              '89 Chevy K2500 flatbed
              '87 Ford Ranger
              '84 Renault LeCar
              '84 Honda Passport
              '66 Yamaha MG-1T
              http://www.jpricefamily.org/joy/Chris-Cars.htm

Comment

I dont know about you, but i could not mount a 33" tire under there. You sure you got 33" back there.
                Ken's:
                1966 Super Wagoneer
                5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
                (Soon to be TBI)
                "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

Rear tank perfect fit.

While wheeling in Kansas & Colorado I was always running low on fuel so I put a second tank in my 91. I used one from an 84XJ. It fits perfectly between the frame rails and the neck goes to the driver side in just the right place to add the second neck and filler right next to the original one. I used the neck from another Wagoneer so the two match. Only real Jeep people can tell that it's not OEM.
                  Tinman
                  REAR BMPR 3-b.JPG

Rear wnd 3-b.JPG
                  - '91 SJ: BoB'd 13", Lift Hatch, Sliders, Tackbar & more DIM toys.
                  - And, He who dies with the most toys, still Dies!

Comment

Hey this thread is exactly what I am looking for!!!!!

Anyone put a gas tank out of a vortec powered chevy under there..... If I could pick up a burb or yukon tank I could knock out two items at once...... a new tank and a fuel pump for my Vortec conversion!!!

Pics anyone?
                    1986 GW Vortec 5.7/4L60E/NP241c/D44s-ARBs-4.10, Rancho 9000s, 33x12.5s, Dakota Digital Dash & fan controller, Lawrance Baja GPS, Rhino grill, Dozer II swingout rear bumper, Wincher front bumper, Hydro Boost, MM12K winch

Comment

Hey J10-Mex, throw us a bone! What tank do you have back there?

Kenall, not certain about anything at this point. I climbed under and took some measurements, and it looks like it can be squeezed in. The Suburban tank tapers at the front, which I am hoping will clear the rear shock mounts. It just so happens that one of the ebay vendors is in Philadelphia, so I shouldn't have an issue returning the tank if it isn't going to work...
                      Last edited by JeepinPete; 12-22-2006, 09:14 AM.
                      Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                      Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                      Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

I used a tank from a '90 or so 4.3 TBI S-10 Blazer -- only 20 gallons (some are 13, so check), but the fit was nice. Since I was running GM TBI on the 360, I kept the in-tank pump and made an access hatch in the rear cargo floor for future maintenance without having to drop the tank. My reason for going with a rear tank was that the original coffin no longer fit the Wag after fitting a T-18a/208. What would be nice is also having a shorter version of the coffin tank to reclaim 18 gallons or so of wasted space.

S.J.
                        "Carpe MaƱana".

'83 Wagoneer
                        360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                        T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

The driverside strap looks like it needs adjusitng.
                          1991 Grand Wag "The Phoenix!" IS back from the ashes!!!
                          My Yahoo
                          BJ's 6" lift
                          Holley Truck Avenger 670CFM
                          Mickey Thompson Wheels
                          Dick Cepeck FC-II
                          Killer 32 Nurf Bars
                          Comp Cam 260H
                          MSD Distributor, Coil and Controller
                          Edlebrock Headers
                          Dual Exhaust 2 Flowmaster 50's

Comment

Yeah, I really want to know what tank that is too!

It is time for me to get serious about this fuel tank issue - with the waggy being used for towing, it's not funny anymore! Especially since my wife is the one towing with it mostly, which means I get the call to go out and rescue her when she runs out (and neither one of us too happy about it!). At least I fixed the fuel guage - but I keep a log anyway.

Comment

I'm on it

I've been planning the 33 gal bronco tank retro for a while. I'm currently running a gas can in the cargo area.

I was at the pick and pull today. They punch holes in all the tanks. The owner gave me the number of someone who he thought could help me. Ends up he had a NEW 33 gal bronco tank. Evidently someone ordered it and never picked it up. It's mine now.

I will document the process. However, I have some work to do for Zack @ ZMJeeps before I dig in.

Comment

Working...
                              X