Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drivers side, air vent water leak...kick panel..?#?#!$!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers side, air vent water leak...kick panel..?#?#!$!

Hello all, long time lurker here, I've been searching old posts for days now... Have a bad water leak that comes in through the drivers side fresh air vent, passenger side too if I turn the water on enough...looking into cleaning that sucker out, what's the best way to do this? The emergency brake is directly in the way...if I have to move it, need I remove the bolts from the firewall and the dash support?...I haven't looked inside with a mirror yet but, it has to be obstructed, just about every bit of water I can get down the cowl, comes inside through that vent.......I will be putting screen under that cowl vent after fixing this leak... Can anyone offer assistance here... ALSO, another annoyance is that my door locks, windows, power mirrors all seems to not work at the same time, on the rare occurence that they do work, it's all of them... I've seen the wiring under the carpet until the drivers seat but not further....is there a connector there somewhere that I might find that's probably been corroded from the water leakage? Or should I just replace the door switch assembly? Love my GW even after all the pain she puts me through...1988, silver, still sportin' wood.

Thanks in advance for ANY advice.

Jeremy
    1988 GW, 360, 727

Most likely the drain hole is plugged, yes to get the vent out the park brake must be moved. you could try flushing up from the bottom between the bottom of the fender and the cab might have to get a small tube to fit between there, the drain hole is ~ 1.5" below the bottom of the inside vent.

Good luck

Mike D.
    -----------------------------------------
    Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
    1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
    1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
    1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
    1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
    And the other stuff that gets driven
    ----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for your reply Mike, sounds like a fun project for this weekend..
      1988 GW, 360, 727

Comment

I ended up taking a dremel tool and cutting a small hole through the metal so that I could get a small shop vac hose in their. I ended up pulling out 1/2 gallon of leaves from each side. Just sealed it up with a galvanized steel plate with RTV.

Comment

I had the same problem and ended up pulling the fender off. It only took about 20 minutes to pull and it makes it alot easier to clean out. I also made the drainage hole bigger after the fender was pulled.

Might as well do both sides because the other one will eventually have the same problem, and like "khuang88gw" said, I got a 1/2 gallon leaves and pine needles out of it.

Good Luck,
          Tim

Comment

There's a good write-up on the site if you look for it. Well worth the effort. I think some of the original members put it together and it is detailed and helpful. A"classic" problem for our "classic" trucks"
            Jim C
            '67 J3000 Dually
            '86 J20
            '79 CJ5(in pieces)
            '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
            Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

Working...
            X