Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relatively Cheap Dana 60 Rear Axle For You Waggy Guys

Maybe, Ha!
    What I'm thinking is this: The Dana60 rear axle from my 1972 J-4000 has the center diff offset to the passenger side by 5". If you have the long side of the housing cut down those 5", you could use an extra short side axle shaft on the cut down long side and the axle would be 53" wide backing plate to backing plate with the diff centered.
    This is just right for my ScoutII and I'm thinking it would be real close for a Waggy or NT Cherokee also. The bolt pattern for the wheels is 5 on 5 1/2 though. You could have the wheel flange redrilled for 6 bolts easily enough. The axle shafts are 35 spline 1.5". Plenty strong on a semi-floating axle.
    Question is: what is the backing plate to backing plate distance for a Waggy?
    I have talked to a local axle guy and he said he would cut the housing down for $100. My ScoutII uses the 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern so I won't be having the wheel flange drilled for the six bolt pattern.
    Seems this could be an inexpensive way to have a D60 rear axle.
    What you say?
    N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
    1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
    1966 Mustang
    1937 IH D2

sounds good to me!
    Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

That breaks my heart!!!!! The axles are hard to come by to begin with and most guys with wags have 6 lug anyway. Guys like me have busted axle tubes and cant find a good 5X5.5 axle
      DON <br /><a href=\"http://www.Gladi8r.com\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Website</b></a><br /><br />1988 GW 360<br />Edelbrock Intake & 1406<br />TF727/Dana 300<br /><br />1971 J-4500,Rhino Grille<br />A work in progress <br />Soon to be:<br />500 Caddy |Th400 | 205<br />DANA 44/60 (3:73)<br /><br /><b>\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little<br />temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\" </b> Ben Franklin

Comment

This is my revenge for the CJ guys using Scout axles in their Jeeps.
        I'm putting a Jeep axle in my Scout.

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: Rande ]</p>
        N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1966 Mustang
        1937 IH D2

Comment

sounds like a great scout option. one of the big reasons for me to use a d60(or any 3/4 ton axle) is to get full floating. i like the idea of being able to pull my axleshafts and still be able to drag it home.

also,im not much on narrowing axles. i like a wide stance,makes it more stable at angles.im running a full width wide trac 44 and will be soon installing a full width 14 bolt. the 5" offset isnt enuff to worry about,IMO.it would be cool,tho, to b able to use an axleshaft in the right or left side. that prolly does make it worth the effort id measure the shor side before performing the surgery,tho.i think youll find the short side isnt 5" shorter than the long side,due to the relationship of the diff to the pinion.

for those that dont mind 8 lugs,d60s can be found under many 2 and 4wd f250s,vans,and dodge 3/4 ton trucks and vans. i couted no less that 7 at a local yard here,under various ford and dodge trucks and vans [img]smile.gif[/img]

"revenge for cj guys using scout axles" i like it [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: scotty ]</p>
          scotty
          85 grand wagoneer
          258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
          38" TSL SXs
          chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

My biggest hangup is the amount of money I spent in my 44's right now and the cost my my rims and tires.....

Otherwise I would be looking harder for 14 bolts and/or 60's

Would it be possible to fit 15" wheels (6-lug) to a 3/4 ton axle... SAFELY..

I always wondering this... Iknow mods would be a must, but what?

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: River Beast ]</p>
            Todd
            www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

I measured from one backing plate to a spot on the underside of the center section and then measured from the other backing plate to the same spot. 5" difference. I didn't relate either measurement to the pinion. I didn't Try to find the exact center of the pumpkin. Just marked a spot and measured from both sides to that same spot.
              The idea here was to find a relatively cheap alternative to having a wide full-floater narrowed on both sides and having to purchase custom axle shafts. If you want the wide stance then this, obviously, isn't for you. For guys who want a stronger axle in the back, this is a viable alternative.
              I was quoted $100 for the housing narrowing. Have the wheel flanges drilled for the 6 bolt pattern shouldn't be much either.
              Yes, full-floating is better, but most of them still have the 1.31", 30 spline shafts. These semi-floaters have the big 1.5", 35 spline shafts. It would take some serious abuse to snap one of them. I hear there are some heavy duty D60 full-floaters out there with the bigger shafts but just try to find one. You could also buy a new carrier, new shafts and new bearings and install the bigger shafts, but at what cost?
              So, for a low buck upgrade from a semi-floating, 1.31 diameter, 30 spline Dana44 rear axle, this is one to consider.
              N4ZYV

1966 Mustang
              1937 IH D2

Comment

RB,
                GM did make a 6 lug semi floating 14 bolt with 6 lugs and it is not real expensive to get a rear end narrowed. Off Road Unlimited also offers a 14 bolt semi floater that is not a "C" clip retained axle for about $3000 The 6 lug Semi floater from GM is a "C" clip retained axle.
                65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

but alas,RB,the only way to get our 6 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern is to install semifloating axles. there is not enuff room around the full floating 14 bolts hub for 6 lugs

i read an article awhile back about somebodys semifloating,10.5" 14 bolt,maybe the one jeepbob just mentioned.

i dont blame ya a bit for not wanting to throw out all the $$ you got wrapped up in axles and wheels/tires.

how long have you been running it hat way? do you feel youve been babying it? who knows,mybe the 44s will give you reliable service for a long time,we all use our rigs alittle differently [img]smile.gif[/img] "if it aint broke,dont fix it."

i hate giving up my 44 ground clearance. only reason im upgrading is cause i have broken my 44,and will prolly continue to do so if i continue to drive it the way i have been [img]smile.gif[/img]

rande,i wasnt criticizing your idea,just wanted to point out the difference in axle lengths so you could make sure you get the long side narrowed to the length of the short side.

like you said,sounds like a great option for someone who wants to upgrade to 1.5"shafts,needs to keep 5 or 6 lugs,and doesnt care about semi-floating.
                  scotty
                  85 grand wagoneer
                  258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
                  38" TSL SXs
                  chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

Todd,
                    There are 15" 8 lug wheels, just not real common. I know you can get white or chrome "wagon wheels" in 8 lug. 64 Traveler was doing a Warn Full Floater kit on his Dana 44's. Havn't seen anything about it from him recently. I think it's doable, just have to order the blank axles and have the splines cut.
                    \"If you don\'t have time to do it right, you sure don\'t have time to do it twice\"

Comment

Working...
                    X