sending Jeep to California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sending Jeep to California

I have a question about passing California emissions. I sold my Jeep on eBay to a guy from California. I did not realize he was from there until after the auction. He did not think to ask questions about smog equipment on the Jeep. The Jeep in question is the 80 Cherokee in my signature below. I checked this morning and confirmed there is not a Catalytic Converter on the truck. In addition, I am running headers with an Edlebrock Performer intake and Holley Projection. There are no smog pumps, pulleys, or brackets. In addition, it does not have the soft tubing stuff that is normally attached to the exhaust headers.

The engine is top notch so what would it take to get this truck to pass emissions testing in California? In addition, can you give me a guess on how much that would cost?

The eBay item number is below if you can still find it:

BTW, I bought the Jeep from a guy from Texas in 2003 and it passed emissions testing there but I know California is stricter. I have not made any changes to the truck since I got it.
    - Thanks, Jason
    78 CJ-5 - 401 with Holley Projection<br />T-18 with 6.32 1st gear+D300<br />D30 frt Model 20 rear<br />4\" Lift and Locked; 33X12.5 on 15x10<br /><br />78 Wag Ltd - 360<br />400 Trans+Quadra-Trac with MM O/D kit<br />D44\'s frt and rear<br />2.5\" AAL\'s for lift: 30.5x9.5 on stock Aluminum<br /><br />79 J20 - 360<br />T-18 with 6.32 1st gear+D20<br />D44HD frt D60 rear<br />3\" RCLift Blocks for rear; 31.50x10.50 on 16x8<br />8400# weight truck<br /><br />80 Chero - 360 with Holley Projection<br />727 Trans+ 208<br />D44 frt Model 20 rear<br />4\" Lift; 35x12.5 on 15x10

I think you're in a bind. Any car newer than 1976 must pass smog in CA, and it must have all the factory emissions equipment. There's both a tailpipe and visual inspection.

Check the CA DMV site or the CARB site for the regulations. You probably have some responsibilities as the seller in CA, but I don't know how far they go for an out-of-state sale.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

yeah, I doubt it's gonna be much your problem if you sold it from out of state and he's bringing it here. You should only be accountable for having it meet your local smog laws. Anything else I'd think is his issue. They're really gonna nail him for the weight when he bring it in too- they did w/my truck when I brought it home from Utah.
      Ed Mitchell
      74 J10

Comment

When you buy on e-bay it is as is.... The buyer is has to fix it. Always check your local laws and California people should konw better. They are crazy about everything, look at just about any warning label and California warns it may cause cancer. Just my 2 cent..
        68 Scout 800 with 80,000 miles<br />74 military j pickup<br />79 cj7 with 14 inch. lift 304 auto

Comment

He will have to install ALL smog equipment required for 1980. Also the headers will have to go unless they have smog fittings. The projection will have to go. He will need a carb. WHen you bring a car into the state, they go over it with a fine tooth comb.

My suggestion would be to offer his money back and resell the truck to someone else. That would be the "good guy" thing to do.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Jim Sterling
          1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

He will have to install ALL smog equipment required for 1980. Also the headers will have to go unless they have smog fittings. The projection will have to go. He will need a carb. WHen you bring a car into the state, they go over it with a fine tooth comb.

My suggestion would be to offer his money back and resell the truck to someone else. That would be the "good guy" thing to do.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Jim Sterling
            1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

Originally posted by j10jim:

My suggestion would be to offer his money back and resell the truck to someone else. That would be the "good guy" thing to do...
              Im gonna second what Jim said.
              It will never pass here unless it has all the original smog equipment installed.

Even if the headers were legal, it needs a single exhaust with a cat. Duals were not offered and therefor are not legal...

Now on the other hand, he should have read the description and knows what has been installed.
              Mabye he knows a smog guy and doesnt care...

Still best to let him know and give him the option of backing out.

kris.
              89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
              Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
              -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

I third that....

the smog requirments out here are CRAZY.... I even failed for a missing stove pipe and cracked rubber seal on the gas cap...
                Todd
                www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by River Beast:
                  I third that....

the smog requirments out here are CRAZY.... I even failed for a missing stove pipe and cracked rubber seal on the gas cap...
                  man...it must suck having to get your truck smogged... lol
                  Ed Mitchell
                  74 J10

Comment

I don't understand why y'all don't just title everything a 76? Todd, how many parts on your car are original anyway?

I've gotta 77 frame, 79 body, 74 block, etc. etc. I'm sure there are many out there the same. Do you guys have VIN number inspection too?
                    Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

Well, I just contacted the high bidder and told him to check this thread. We have decided not to complete the sale. Thanks for the help. - Jason
                      78 CJ-5 - 401 with Holley Projection<br />T-18 with 6.32 1st gear+D300<br />D30 frt Model 20 rear<br />4\" Lift and Locked; 33X12.5 on 15x10<br /><br />78 Wag Ltd - 360<br />400 Trans+Quadra-Trac with MM O/D kit<br />D44\'s frt and rear<br />2.5\" AAL\'s for lift: 30.5x9.5 on stock Aluminum<br /><br />79 J20 - 360<br />T-18 with 6.32 1st gear+D20<br />D44HD frt D60 rear<br />3\" RCLift Blocks for rear; 31.50x10.50 on 16x8<br />8400# weight truck<br /><br />80 Chero - 360 with Holley Projection<br />727 Trans+ 208<br />D44 frt Model 20 rear<br />4\" Lift; 35x12.5 on 15x10

Comment

Originally posted by Gawdzilla.:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by River Beast:
                        I third that....

man...it must suck having to get your truck smogged... lol</font>[/QUOTE]Guys... dont look at me for smog crap.... Im military NON-RESIDENT...

I am however planning a strategic manuever on the smog natzi's after I have all my research done.

There are MANY in depth details to go about getting RB legitimately 'legal' for CA.... and if it works... I will let you know.

One key for legalities is verbage on your documentation...

for example....

I did not do an engine SWAP... I did an engine CHANGE....

[ April 13, 2005, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: River Beast ]
                        Todd
                        www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sitting Bull:
                          I don't understand why y'all don't just title everything a 76? Todd, how many parts on your car are original anyway?

I've gotta 77 frame, 79 body, 74 block, etc. etc. I'm sure there are many out there the same. Do you guys have VIN number inspection too?
                          VIN inpsections... oh yes... when they hook you up to the smog machines... all your data is transmitted from the machine to CA DMV and held on record.. pass or fail.. they have all your info...

original parts...um.. lets see...

78 Waggie frame and modified body
                          76 Cadillac Eldorado 500 engine
                          ?? BOP TH400 tranny/ D20 from a donor J truck right now
                          76 Cadillac Eldorado Hydrobost Brake system
                          76 Cadillac Eldorado rear disc brake conversion ( soon)
                          84 GM CUCV axles and soon to be a GM NP205
                          96 Suburban rear springs
                          80 Cherokee front springs
                          96 Suburban shackles
                          85 Bronco gas tank

I think thats it...

[ April 13, 2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: River Beast ]
                          Todd
                          www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Todd.
                            Ive looked into it. Quite extensively...

The vin on the frame (first) and the year of the engine (second) is what they go by in cases of "pieced together" vehicles in California. Which ever is newer, thats what they go by. If the frame is new construction, then they go by the year of the engine only. That becomes the year of the vehicle for registration and testing purposes.

Only way out is a pre'76 frame and vin plate swap.
                            Of course it is illegal to swap just a vin plate and frame (vin) section, but the whole frame is acceptable.
                            You would be legal if your wag was a 76, and all of the emission junk was installed and working on the motor.

Do you still have Arizona plates ?
                            A physical inspection is required to get an out-of-state vehicle registered in California. It is just a vin plate inspection (all of them), the inspectors at the dmv dont usually know anything about motors, they just want to be sure that it has an engine (does not need to run), drivers seat, lights, and not a stolen/salvaged/vin-swapped/non-existent vehicle.

kris.
                            89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
                            Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                            -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

I think I would at least ask for the insertion fees. He should have known, and you were cool in not forcing him into it.

Comment

Working...
                              X