• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheEverlastingCheese
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 09, 2020

88 GW won't move

Good morning guys,

So to give an explanation of the current status of the rig, two years ago I had cam walk trash my distributor gear which caused it to die on the highway. I ended up doing the classic mistake by pulling stuff apart and finding more problems than I had the time or funds to fix. Over the past two years I completely rebuilt the motor, replaced damn near every bolt, hose, and part I could and made a really nice 4 barrel Edelbrock conversion 360 and painted it amc blue. I'm in love.

I finally get it running well and have everything sorted out as far as I could tell and go to drive it to the gas station when I find that it will not move. At all. Drive, reverse, 2, L nothing. The tranny spins from what I can tell because the parking pall grinds when trying to get it back in park. It can also be pushed so I know it's not the brakes or axles holding it up.

I start diving into forum posts looking to see if anything would help me figure it out and I see a post about destroyed VCs in the NP 229. I had a u-joint failure a year or two before the cam problem and had to remove the front driveshaft. Well unbeknownst to me while my truck was sitting my son climbed in and role played some offroading adventures and shifted it into 4wd. I'm worried that since the front driveshaft is removed that it cooked the VC and that could be why it's not moving. I also found out that the transfer case lever was in the N position and was very hard to move even with the Tranny in N as well.

Could someone please give me a Transfer Case for dummies level explanation on how to get my beloved beast moving again? How do I manually get the TC back in 2wd? Does the transfer case lever need to be in Hi for it to move? Step by step like I'm 5. I really appreciate all you guys do to keep our rigs going and look forward to hearing back.
Working...
X