Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle Bearing Seals - Proper Positioning

77 Cherokee, D44 front with QT

I am replacing my wheel bearings and seals, spindle bearing and seals, and axle u-joints. All has gone very well but I have a question about proper placement of the spindle bearing seals.

The photo shows all three seals:

1) The large inner seal which goes against the axle yoke hub - the side that is DOWN in the photo goes up against the axle hub (toward the differential).

2) The small outer seal fits against the spindle bearing just inside the spindle shaft, the side facing UP in the photo sits against the bearing.

3) My question is about proper placement of the nylon washer in the middle of the photo. When I removed mine this washer was positioned BETWEEN the outer and inner seals. But one of the YT videos I am consulting shows the nylon washer going against the axle yoke hub first, then the large seal, then the small seal.

The TSM doesn't show these seals at all, so no help there.

Another question - this nylon washer has a beveled inner edge on one side only. Does this beveled edge face the outside or does it face the differential?

Cliff Danley
    1977 Cherokee S

It has been awhile since I had to do repairs on these, the bevel should point towards the spindle, match the bevel of the spindle where it will ride.

Comment

Since this is so unclear in the factory shop manual, I made an explicit point to show the proper orientation of each seal in this video, starting at about the 9:50 mark:

https://youtu.be/jvMJBz01KYw?t=591
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

Bob - Perfect! Thanks very much.
        Cliff Danley
        1977 Cherokee S

Comment

Glad it helped.

They all fit together nicely once you know where and which way everything goes, but when you take apart a greasy and worn mess and everything falls out all at once, it can appear perplexing.
          1987 J-20
          Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

Working...
          X