Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue starting the Cherokee

Hey guys,

Tried to start my 76 Cherokee this am and no go. Battery is fine, started from the solenoid without and issue. I figured I lost the solenoid so just replaced it as I had a new one laying around.

Unfortunately same issue. Looks like it's time to start testing around. Ignition switch lights up the dash but won't turn the engine.

Thoughts on where to start (pun intended)?
    1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
    1991 XJ
    2022 JT

'76 SJ Build Thread

Originally posted by miamitj
    Hey guys,

Tried to start my 76 Cherokee this am and no go. Battery is fine, started from the solenoid without and issue. I figured I lost the solenoid so just replaced it as I had a new one laying around.

Unfortunately same issue. Looks like it's time to start testing around. Ignition switch lights up the dash but won't turn the engine.

Thoughts on where to start (pun intended)?
    There is a no-start flow chart in the TSM that you can follow.

If you can jumper and hot-wire it, the other usual suspects are the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch. Follow the wiring diagram, and use your multimeter to trace it through.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Originally posted by tgreese
      There is a no-start flow chart in the TSM that you can follow.

If you can jumper and hot-wire it, the other usual suspects are the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch. Follow the wiring diagram, and use your multimeter to trace it through.
      Ty.
      1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
      1991 XJ
      2022 JT

'76 SJ Build Thread

Comment

Anyone have any idea where the neutral safety switch is on a 76? It was an auto with a steering column shifter.
        1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
        1991 XJ
        2022 JT

'76 SJ Build Thread

Comment

Probably not common but it happened to me once. Had the same problem - no crank but good voltage everywhere. My starter had siezed up.
          Cliff Danley
          1977 Cherokee S

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff
            Probably not common but it happened to me once. Had the same problem - no crank but good voltage everywhere. My starter had siezed up.
            I can start it at the solenoid so it's not that.
            1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
            1991 XJ
            2022 JT

'76 SJ Build Thread

Comment

I'm sure you tried this..... Have the key in start position and move the column shifter from park to neutral. NSS might be off center a bit. linkage bushings wear.

I've been wrong about the mid 70's rigs. The NSS might be at the top of the steering column inside near the firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by miamitj
                Anyone have any idea where the neutral safety switch is on a 76? It was an auto with a steering column shifter.
                I think it's part of the ignition switch in the column. Look at the wiring diagram on the Tom Collins site, or in the '76 TSM there. Shows a connector in quadrant B-6.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                X