Driver Drop Diff Flip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver Drop Diff Flip

In doing a spring over why would a driver drop diff not work if flipped to do a passenger drop spring over?
    Give a man a fish he will eat for a day unless it's a really big fish but, teach him to fish and he will drink beer all day!
    1977 Jeep Cherokee wide trac 2nd owner 88,981 miles
    2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I'll just keep it simple and say it doesn't work like that.

Comment

That would also make it a high pinion.
      68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
      78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

Well, the big issue would be that once you put it in 4wd, the tires would try to turn the wrong direction. By just flipping the axle, you move the ring gear to the opposite side of the pinion which makes the tires rotate the opposite direction, given the same input rotation.

Then there are the other issues like the caster angle being way off, the ball joints would be up-side-down, and while flipping it would raise the pinion(not to be mistaken for "high-pinion"), there would be oiling issues.
        1987 Grand Wagoneer,
        well worn, bone stock, with 120K miles.
        added a snow plow, and looking for a lift.

Comment

And leaks from the vent fitting, and we already have enough of those
          Art
          ASE Master Collision Tech
          "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

And steering problems. When I was a kid I tried that with one of my first cars. A '66 Chevy Nova. It had the monoleaf and sagged bad in the back so we flipped the axle and I had 2 speeds reverse and one forwards! (194 6 cyl with Powerglide) We even drove it on the highway like that, ala "Hooper" after adjusting the steering.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Plays hob with the caster and camber too.
              Art
              "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Comment

Plus you'd be driving on the concave side of the ring gear teeth, which is the weaker side.
                '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

So,,,flip it. remove the knuckles and weld them onto the other side, right side up, change the gears to reverse cut gears like the newer high pinion 44s' have....now what?

J20
                  BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                  775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

While they gave you lots of reasons I think it wasn't a bad question. It does seem like an 'easy' solution at face value but unfortunatly it just doesn't work.
                    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

Originally posted by J20 project
                      So,,,flip it. .............., change the gears to reverse cut gears like the newer high pinion 44s' have....now what?

J20
                      Reverse cut gears still rotate in the same direction as gears in a standard axle. the teeth are just cut "reversed" because in a HP axle, the pinion comes in above the ring gear center line.
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer,
                      well worn, bone stock, with 120K miles.
                      added a snow plow, and looking for a lift.

Comment

Will still have lubrication issues as well. Pinion bearings won't live long. The high pinions are designed to eliminate the lubrication issue.
                        Art

Comment

Working...
                        X