Dana 44 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 Question

Is the Dana 44 in a 77 Cherokee same Dana 44 in a Dodge Ramcharger? Aside from the steering set up?
    Give a man a fish he will eat for a day unless it's a really big fish but, teach him to fish and he will drink beer all day!
    1977 Jeep Cherokee wide trac 2nd owner 88,981 miles
    2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

The knuckles out, including brakes, are different, but should be interchangeable. The diff internals are the same (same ratio carrier breaks). Degree of castor of knuckle "C" is less on the Dodge. Dodge is 5X5.5 bolt circle.

This is all assuming you're talking about an '80-'9? Ramcharger D44. <'79 had unit bearing outers that don't swap with anything.
    '71 J2000 Gladiator
    '95 YJ on Waggy axles
    '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

What are the measurements like if anyone knows? I might be able to keep the lug pattern on my Jeep if this turns out to be a viable swap.
      Looking for one

Comment

Short answer is yes - they are the same.
        Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

Not if it's 5 lug. They also had a 5 by 4.5" pattern, same as XJ in some.
          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh D
            The diff internals are the same (same ratio carrier breaks).
            Unfortunately, this is pretty much the beginning and end of it. I'm a Mopar convert and just with my last FSJ purchase can say I've owned more FSJs than Dodge trucks. As others have mentioned, the late 70s dodges have a proprietary outer that is only worth it's weight in scrap as it has a rotor/hub assembly and raybestos (the last company that made replacements for them) has stopped producing them. They're easy to spot because nothing sticks out past the wheel in the front. Instead of a "hub", you just see a big nut. These are native to the 1976+ dodge trucks with a "SnowFighter Four-WheelDrive" which is what Dodge called the NP203.

Past that, all of my dodge D44s have had bigger diameter axle tubes than FSJs, and the vacuum disconnect Dodge D44s in the 80s did so halfway down the long tube instead of a the diff housing like everyone else.

Also, shaft lengths were different between my 85' Ram and 86 Grandwag, when, for reasons I don't want to go into, I got them mixed up.

In short, no, they're completely different except for the differential itself. What are you trying to do? Do you have another thread that explains your quandary?

2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
            79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
            304/T18/D20/D44s
            What's been did:
            Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
            MSD Streetfire based TFI
            Custom-hack gauge cluster
            Razor swap
            Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
            2 knob tape deck!
            3" homebuilt lift
            Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

They are wider than GWs and slightly more than pickups and WTs
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Well first off reason behind it is it is already spring over and i want to change the its over as well as it doesn't have a Jeep Z bar steering setup. Kinda a high steer stock wise.
                Give a man a fish he will eat for a day unless it's a really big fish but, teach him to fish and he will drink beer all day!
                1977 Jeep Cherokee wide trac 2nd owner 88,981 miles
                2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by REDONE
                  Unfortunately, this is pretty much the beginning and end of it. I'm a Mopar convert and just with my last FSJ purchase can say I've owned more FSJs than Dodge trucks. As others have mentioned, the late 70s dodges have a proprietary outer that is only worth it's weight in scrap as it has a rotor/hub assembly
                  Past that, all of my dodge D44s have had bigger diameter axle tubes than FSJs, and the vacuum disconnect Dodge D44s in the 80s did so halfway down the long tube instead of a the diff housing like everyone else.

Also, shaft lengths were different between my 85' Ram and 86 Grandwag, when, for reasons I don't want to go into, I got them mixed up.

In short, no, they're completely different except for the differential itself. What are you trying to do? Do you have another thread that explains your quandary?

I have a bit of experience with these as well. Here are pics of the '85 Dodge D44 swapped into my '71 Jtruck. The housings from 'C' to 'C' are really not all that different than FSJ's other than they are set up from the factory in a SOA configuration. Spring spacing is the same and overall width from WMS to WMS is 65", perfect for WT. The tubing diameter is the same 3". I've verified this with the '86 GW axle I have in my YJ.
                  Everything beyond the 'C' is dfferent, except it uses the same internal spline lockout hubs as an FSJ would use. I even used J10 tie rod and drag link, but I had to modify the knuckle arms to accept the larger Jeep TRE's. The Dodge D44 does have flat top knuckles though, so hi steer or crossover steering is a little easier.
                  My '71 has outboarded factory SOA, so not the same as your '77, as I welded on new spring pads.
                  As Redone mentioned in his post and I did as well in mine, the '79 and earlier are useless as they use a unit bearing and small bolt pattern. '92 and later use the CAD. It's the '80-'91 that can be adapted to an FSJ.

'71 J2000 Gladiator
                  '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                  '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

Originally posted by CasualGourmet
                    Well first off reason behind it is it is already spring over and i want to change the its over as well as it doesn't have a Jeep Z bar steering setup. Kinda a high steer stock wise.
                    Totally doable. You'll want to add a couple of degree shims to get the castor you want. I find 6* ideal (stock FSJ). The Dodge axle only came with 2-3* castor.
                    '71 J2000 Gladiator
                    '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                    '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

Originally posted by CasualGourmet
                      Can't ya just weld on perches, rather than fuss with the logistics of a Dodge swap?
                      AMC V-8 FOREVER
                      1976 Cherokee Chief 360\4-spd(soon to be auto\ Q-trac)
                      1977 CJ5 "Lulu"
                      360\5-SPEED GRANNY\DANA300\ DANA 44s
                      DETROIT \POWERLOCK 4.10
                      37" tires, and LOTS other stuff
                      77 J-10 401\Q trac "Thadeus"
                      64 Stude Avanti 289 R2---ALIVE!
                      91 Dodge W350 5.9 Cummins
                      64 Avanti#2(R1)...Under construction

Comment

I am curious about those early 80's dodge 44 axles with vacuum disconnects?
                        Do they roll those without the needle bearing in the spindle on the drivers side like they do in the '83 AMC D44 axle? (It was only for 2 years, I forget if '82/83 or '83/84?)
                        (The passenger side does require the needle bearing.)
                        Tourettes 1978 Wagoneer
                        360-727-228 - MSD 6a - TFI - MSD 8.5mm - 880CCA Diehard Plat - 31x10.5x15 - LEDs in every socket

Comment

Working...
                        X