T-15 Tranny Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-15 Tranny Question

When I get in and run it through the gears before she gets to the mark on the temp gauge she's great but after she warms up she grinds slightly going into 2nd but not 3rd and will do the same when down shifting. Any clues? Thanks Guys!
    Give a man a fish he will eat for a day unless it's a really big fish but, teach him to fish and he will drink beer all day!
    1977 Jeep Cherokee wide trac 2nd owner 88,981 miles
    2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Sounds like your 2nd gear blocking ring (synchro rings) is worn out. Common for a T-15 with some miles on it. You can shift slower, or double clutch... or replace it (them - replace all three). Frequent "spirited" downshifting will wear out the second gear blocking ring pretty quickly. Replacement requires that you take the transmission out of the car and tear it down.

With some time, you can learn the shift points so that the gears won't clash. Back in the 30s, all cars had transmissions with no synchromesh - called "crash boxes" today. When you learned to drive, you learned to listen to the engine speed and drive so that the gears did not clash. You can do the same with your T-15... but you may not be happy with the low speed shifts and slow shifting needed to keep from clashing. Try winding out the motor a lot less, and see if that solves your 2nd gear clash; shift into 2nd at, say 10 or 15 mph.
    Last edited by tgreese; 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

x2
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

So am I to guess that this occurs once the tranny get warmed up? Because it is smooth before the temp mark after that it clashes.
        But this will work out pretty well because the motor I bought was "rebuilt" but I went through it to make sure and all parts show it to be so and within all tolerances, so I might as well go ahead and do the tranny with a new clutch, pressure plate then I will be set for awhile.
        Motor came with Edelbrock Torker intake with a Holley Truck Aveneger carb, Edelbrock RV cam, Accel HEI ignition, steel rooler rockers. Debating on Milodon gear drive timing?
        Give a man a fish he will eat for a day unless it's a really big fish but, teach him to fish and he will drink beer all day!
        1977 Jeep Cherokee wide trac 2nd owner 88,981 miles
        2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Comment

Before you start buying parts decide on what you can live with. A bad syncho is annoying but not a prelude to catastrophic failure. As Tim said slow your shifting down or even double clutch 2nd. I had a 53 Chev with a shot 2nd gear syncho. It was 2nd nature to double clutch 2nd gear. I ran it that way for 5 or 6 years with no other issues. Keeping clean non-hypoid gear lube in the box helps too.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

It might be worth a try to check the clutch adjustment/release. No guarranty but it would beat dealing with the issue or a rebuild.
            Jim C
            '67 J3000 Dually
            '86 J20
            '79 CJ5(in pieces)
            '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
            Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

I had one that would "crunch" from first to second. Fixed it by replacing the pilot bushing.

Comment

I've seen Red Line synthetic gear lube for M/T help with this type of issue. May be worth a try before going to a rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                X