No announcement yet.

Banjo bolt trouble - MIG'd!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tap what out? "I" can't do anything like that. The area around the threaded hole just crumbled away like a stale piece of cake. Hoping the MIG weld works, but if it doesn't, a new manifold will be even better.
    Kevin Sandlin
    Atlanta GA
    Stock '90 GW

There's more knuckle blood than oil under the hood.

Comment

You can't beat that! I was just logging in to point you to a few vendors that could sell you a cheap used manifold, but free always beats cheap!

Good Luck. I'm sorry your're having so much trouble.

For what it's worth:

Nick's Parts on eBay:
      http://stores.ebay.com/Nickspartsplu...id=p4340.l2563

and J&W wreckers:
      http://www.jwjeep.com/About.htm

Are good sources of inexpensive used parts.
      Brad Malta
      '89 GW 360 (.030 over, mild cam), 727, NP229 w/GM TBI

Comment

Just plug the holes on a used manifold and swap it out.

Replacing the driver's side manifold is a fairly easy job.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

I understand but it can still be tapped out. Start with just enough to clean any threads go slightly larger if cleaning the threads won't/don't work. Start small. Only one way to learn and if it doesn't work you can still try to weld it. Welding it first will probably guarantee if it does not work a manifold will be needed.
          1979 J20,360,TH400,QT

Comment

I have done this more than once

Originally posted by kevinator
            fireman_033 - I'd say there's 1/4 - 1/2 of the threads left at most. Muffler situation is on hold whilst I fight with Meineke. Sounds like crap, but not that big of a deal. I drive 5 miles each way to work. And with my latest work on these banjo bolts, I've made the muffler sound good compared to the exhaust leak under the hood.

serehill - will you marry me? Your words are music to my ears. Now just gotta find someone who can mig it up for me.

Brown Bear - If I have to wait it out, I'll try the JBweld on there for a temp fix. Why do you say the manifolds have to come out regardless?

Thanks folks. Any further advice is very much appreciated.
            If nothing else call around to muffler shops most have migs these days.
            I've done this several time myself with out any special prep. If you need any further back up PM fenix 687. We did his last year. I am a terrible welder & I can do it. JB weld will burn after a while.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

We're good. Greg at Gann El is welding it, and if that's not working, he's giving me a manifold, and will bolt that on.

Now to continue fighting those %#&@%$#*@# at Meineke...

Of course, Greg at Gann El insists I take it down the street to his muffler guy and have dual exhaust put on it. Maybe for Christmas...nope, that's the Holley carb. :-)
              Kevin Sandlin
              Atlanta GA
              Stock '90 GW

Comment

I have an extra set of headers that came with a rebuilt motor I purchased....they are not pretty but clean them up and bolt them in it will sound good! And add a few horses. Pay for shipping and they are yours!
                Give a man a fish he will eat for a day unless it's a really big fish but, teach him to fish and he will drink beer all day!
                1977 Jeep Cherokee wide trac 2nd owner 88,981 miles
                2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Comment

Thanks! Shouldn't need them, but will ping you if I do.
                  Kevin Sandlin
                  Atlanta GA
                  Stock '90 GW

Comment

Originally posted by CasualGourmet
                    I have an extra set of headers that came with a rebuilt motor I purchased....they are not pretty but clean them up and bolt them in it will sound good! And add a few horses. Pay for shipping and they are yours!
                    Woah! Wait a minute! Casual, I've got a farm in Riegelwood. Got to run up there in a few weeks to haul some firewood. I'll take those off your hands!

P.S. My whole family is originally from Wilmington. If I didn't live in Charleston I'd be in Wilmington right now.
                    Pearsall Smith
                    82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
                    88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)
                    81 CJ 5 (Lulu)-304-T150-D20
                    82 CJ 8 Scrambler- 258-T5-D300

Comment

Greg at Gann El just called to say they welded that big old hole shut. Thanks to everyone for your awesome support and suggestions. Will be keeping an eye on this one just in case I have to replace the manifold.

Now back to our regularly schedule feud with Meineke.
                      Kevin Sandlin
                      Atlanta GA
                      Stock '90 GW

Comment

KEWEL

Greg at Gann El just called to say they welded that big old hole shut. Thanks to everyone for your awesome support and suggestions. Will be keeping an eye on this one just in case I have to replace the manifold.

Now back to our regularly schedule feud with Meineke.
                        It can be done.

Don't let all that saved time & money fall out of your pocket!!

Un fortunantly you'll just have to move on with Meineke. Lost cause. use the other guy Greg suggested. You're on a role.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

$225 for labor for the MIG job, plus crimping and welding shut the useless-CAT pipe. I go back and forth thinking I could have saved that $ if I hadn't insisted on removing all the emissions junk that wasn't connected anyway but then the mani might have cracked driving down the highway or I could have taken the free mani he has and replaced it myself but that's a whole day (or more!) of telling my kids "Daddy's working" and now it's fixed and I didn't have to do anything...

Worth every penny.
                          Kevin Sandlin
                          Atlanta GA
                          Stock '90 GW

Comment

Yes

A little expensive I agree. If you have kids your time is not free. It's hard to trade time working on a PITA for time with your kids. NO brainer. You Won.

80 Cherokee
                            360 ci 727 with
                            Comp cams 270 h
                            NP208
                            Holley 4180
                            Msd total multi spark.
                            4" rusty's springs

Comment

I hope it works out great for you! good luck on future mods
                              88 Grand Wag:
                              Razor Grille
                              Rusty's 4" spring lift
                              BJs HD 1" shackles
                              31" M/Ts
                              Holley 4160, 600cfm
                              T.F.I.
                              Warn Hubs
                              SOLID Diff cover
                              999 X-member/T-case Skid
                              Rag joint delete

Comment

$225 for labor for the MIG job, plus crimping and welding shut the useless-CAT pipe. I go back and forth thinking I could have saved that $ if I hadn't insisted on removing all the emissions junk that wasn't connected anyway but then the mani might have cracked driving down the highway or I could have taken the free mani he has and replaced it myself but that's a whole day (or more!) of telling my kids "Daddy's working" and now it's fixed and I didn't have to do anything...

Worth every penny.
                                could have bought a set of edelbrock headers

Anyways you know your stock cat will not work without the air pump right? It will get too hot and clog up. I believe the stock one is a "2 stage cat" and the modern ones without the air injection are 3 stage cats.
                                Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
                                5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
                                SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
                                -1994 Baby Grand
                                -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
                                -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
                                -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
                                i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
                                i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X